As a part of our trip through the Big Bend National Park and environs, we made reservations to stay here before we started home. It was the right idea, and we plan to come back even though it's maybe 400 miles from our front door. The six-mile drive up to the Basin from Highway 118, offers some of the most impressive scenery in the Park. Once at registration, we were greeted by friendly and helpful folks and given a map to show us where our building "B" was. Our room
was clean, well appointed, and we had an impressive view from our terrace. Surrounded by mountains, it's a geologist's dream. I'm not one of 'em, but my wife and were quickly hooked by
the scenery, the flora, and the birds. It's also bear and mountain lion country, but we didn't see any. The lodge's main building houses registration, a well-stocked gift shop, bar (with the only TV to be found) and a large dining facility with floor to ceiling windows on two sides. While eating, diners are treated to incredible views--and birds refueling on Ocotillo flowers and buds.
Among the other assets, there is a campground and RV park, but there are warnings on the way in that, because of the tight turns, vehicle length is capped at 24 feet. And from the grounds, hikers have trails from which to choose. We recommend Chisos Mountain Lodge, and all it has to offer, to anyone oriented toward nature, incredible scenery, and the outdoors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known as the last frontier of Texas, Big Bend National Park encompasses over 800,000 acres of breathtaking desert landscape. Here you'll find the uniquely located Chisos Mountains Lodge, offering comfortable accommodations and friendly Texas hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Chisos Mountains Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chisos Mountain Hotel Big Bend National Park
- Chisos Mountain Lodge
- Chisos Mountains Lodge Big Bend National Park, Texas