“Great location, but be ready for no frills”

Chisos Mountains Lodge
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is the only hotel in Big Bend, so they have a captive audience. I visited Big Bend in January 2013 for pleasure and I wanted to stay in the park because I only had one day to really explore. I was flying myself to the area, so the Lodge's 72 hour cancellation policy didn't work for me, due to the chance of cancellation in case of bad weather. I took a chance and just showed up and they had a room available. I didn't expect much, but was glad to see the location was spectacular.

I didn't expect much and the room lived up to my expectation. While functional, the bathroom was the smallest I've ever seen with the bathroom sink in the main room. The bed was comfortable and the balcony was nice. The frig was turned off so it took a while to cool the soft drinks I purchase at the general store in the parking lot.

The good: Location, location, location... The location of this property is spectacular. The hotel's restaurant is very good and the bar was slow, but pleasant.

The bad: The room was sub-standard for what I paid. The bathroom was very small and they use those push button soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower and sink. Really? For $140+ per night and I don't even get a bar of soap? Also, surprisingly, they didn't clean the room overnight.

Overall, I would stay in the property again, but be set your expectations accordingly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Edward M

Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you are staying at the Chisos Mountain Lodge make sure you book directly with them. We wound up at Nationalparkreservations.com and got tagged $140 extra for our Christmas 2013
booking. The 10 pct fee is in the fine print and the site sounds like it's thru the national park service- it is not. If you want to waste 10 pct use them- otherwise go direct to Chisos Mountain Lodge or any of the other hotels near Bid Bend.
As far as Chisos Mtn Lodge. It's not too fancy and the food is so-so however the location is by far the best and the people there have always been very accommodating. The basin is where you want to stay.

Room Tip: Book well in advance
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Vasylius
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The park is amazing and the lodge was comfortable and completely functional, although we did not ever get the WIFI to reach us (it was fine in the bar). Our room, A-08, had a balcony with a stupendous view of the sunrise and sunset through the gap known as "The Window." It is not an elegant place, but it works. The bar was fun and the restaurant looked good (but having had a bad experience in another national park we brought food and used the frig and microwave to dine in our room). It would be nuts to stay outside the park; you'd spend your entire vacation on the highway.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms involve stair-climbing but offer better views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This place is great! If you want to “unplug” this is the place to be. No television, internet, or cell service. We stayed in one of the lodges and it was very clean, very basic, everything you need really. The resort itself is 19 miles into the park, it’s really secluded and tucked away. There is a convenient store and a restaurant located at the resort so it has everything you need. The restaurant food is good and the customer service, for the most part, is great. We did a lot of hiking and reading-truly a relaxing getaway especially for couples, very romantic. Needless to say, the views are breathtaking. If you are looking for the Hilton it’s not for you, it’s basic, rugged, and low key. I would highly recommend this place.

Side note:

Bring your computer (to watch DVD's) and your own DVD's if you don't want to be 100% unplugged ;)

Room Tip: Room 106 has the most amazing view of all the lodges!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tw143143
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel was nice and I will be going back in March, but don't expect a modern hotel. The tile in the bathrooms are very old and dated. The bathrooms are very small and there are no easy ways to get your luggage up to your room if you stay on the second floor. You have to carry everything up the stairs unless you ask for a ground floor room or are lucky enough to have one available to you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bottom floor if you are older, disabled or have lots of luggage.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Debbie J
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were pleasantly pleased with our accommodations. we stayed in the motel rooms. Other reviews seem to favor the Casa Grande rooms over the motel. If you need more space and a more modern appearance thats fine but the motel rooms were just as good and for me had a better view of the "window" if you got a room facing the parking area. What made this place so nice was the extraordinary beauty of being right in the mountains and the small crowds. Not like other major national parks where you wait in lines for everything. The grounds are well kept and natural in appearance and the amenities (camp store, visitor center restaurant) make up for any remoteness.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We were lucky to get a room here at the Chisos Mountain Lodge during their high season which is end of December. The lodge is within the park and is at a height and has a wonderful view of the mountains around. This is near Panther Junction where the Park headquarters are. Sitting on the balcony and sipping a drink and watching the sunset was great. Gets a little chilly in the evening so a jacket is recommended. Also try to get up to see the sunrise, in Dec it was well over 8 a.m for the sun to rise.

To come to the lodge from I-10 we took I-67 South -I-90 East to Marathon and then 385 south. You pay $20 per car at the park entrance and since that was closed we paid that fee at the Park HQ Visitors center at Panther Junction. There is a 24 hour gas station at Panther Junction

Very friendly staff, clean rooms, nice view and you can choose to eat in the restaurant or hang around in the bar where they have probably the only TV around. If you did bring some supplies there is a refrigerator in the room and a microwave. A convenience store within the lodge grounds has milk, ice cream and other stuff that you may need if you travel with kids. Adults can buy beer or wine too. I did not think the prices were far above what you would get outside the park.

Cell service through out the I-10 corridor that we traveled and within the park is spotty. I was happy we had brought maps from AAA to reconfirm our bearings. I was really happy for the Chisos Mountain Lodge having free WiFi (There are no phones in the rooms)

Ample parking spaces and the view itself is worth it. I liked the amenities dispenser for soap, lotion, shampoo. The staff gave us great tips on the places we wanted to visit.

While you will not be disappointed with the Chisos Lodge, you should realize this is within the park and the preserve of nature and wild animals. We never came across any wild animals even at a distance but the Park Service and the lodge does post warnings about how to deal with bears and other animals.

I would definitely recommend the Chisos Mountain Lodge to anyone visiting the Big Bend National Park. If you cannot get a room here my next choice would be the sister property in Terlingua called the Big Bend Resort and Adventure.

Room Tip: We stayed in the C block with 2 floors and were careful to tell our kids to tread softly. View was w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 8 in Terlingua
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Lajitas

Been to Chisos Mountains Lodge? Share your experiences!