“Wonderful Texas getaway”

Chisos Mountains Lodge
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful Texas getaway”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This place is great! If you want to “unplug” this is the place to be. No television, internet, or cell service. We stayed in one of the lodges and it was very clean, very basic, everything you need really. The resort itself is 19 miles into the park, it’s really secluded and tucked away. There is a convenient store and a restaurant located at the resort so it has everything you need. The restaurant food is good and the customer service, for the most part, is great. We did a lot of hiking and reading-truly a relaxing getaway especially for couples, very romantic. Needless to say, the views are breathtaking. If you are looking for the Hilton it’s not for you, it’s basic, rugged, and low key. I would highly recommend this place.

Side note:

Bring your computer (to watch DVD's) and your own DVD's if you don't want to be 100% unplugged ;)

Room Tip: Room 106 has the most amazing view of all the lodges!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tw143143

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel was nice and I will be going back in March, but don't expect a modern hotel. The tile in the bathrooms are very old and dated. The bathrooms are very small and there are no easy ways to get your luggage up to your room if you stay on the second floor. You have to carry everything up the stairs unless you ask for a ground floor room or are lucky enough to have one available to you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the bottom floor if you are older, disabled or have lots of luggage.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Debbie J
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were pleasantly pleased with our accommodations. we stayed in the motel rooms. Other reviews seem to favor the Casa Grande rooms over the motel. If you need more space and a more modern appearance thats fine but the motel rooms were just as good and for me had a better view of the "window" if you got a room facing the parking area. What made this place so nice was the extraordinary beauty of being right in the mountains and the small crowds. Not like other major national parks where you wait in lines for everything. The grounds are well kept and natural in appearance and the amenities (camp store, visitor center restaurant) make up for any remoteness.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We were lucky to get a room here at the Chisos Mountain Lodge during their high season which is end of December. The lodge is within the park and is at a height and has a wonderful view of the mountains around. This is near Panther Junction where the Park headquarters are. Sitting on the balcony and sipping a drink and watching the sunset was great. Gets a little chilly in the evening so a jacket is recommended. Also try to get up to see the sunrise, in Dec it was well over 8 a.m for the sun to rise.

To come to the lodge from I-10 we took I-67 South -I-90 East to Marathon and then 385 south. You pay $20 per car at the park entrance and since that was closed we paid that fee at the Park HQ Visitors center at Panther Junction. There is a 24 hour gas station at Panther Junction

Very friendly staff, clean rooms, nice view and you can choose to eat in the restaurant or hang around in the bar where they have probably the only TV around. If you did bring some supplies there is a refrigerator in the room and a microwave. A convenience store within the lodge grounds has milk, ice cream and other stuff that you may need if you travel with kids. Adults can buy beer or wine too. I did not think the prices were far above what you would get outside the park.

Cell service through out the I-10 corridor that we traveled and within the park is spotty. I was happy we had brought maps from AAA to reconfirm our bearings. I was really happy for the Chisos Mountain Lodge having free WiFi (There are no phones in the rooms)

Ample parking spaces and the view itself is worth it. I liked the amenities dispenser for soap, lotion, shampoo. The staff gave us great tips on the places we wanted to visit.

While you will not be disappointed with the Chisos Lodge, you should realize this is within the park and the preserve of nature and wild animals. We never came across any wild animals even at a distance but the Park Service and the lodge does post warnings about how to deal with bears and other animals.

I would definitely recommend the Chisos Mountain Lodge to anyone visiting the Big Bend National Park. If you cannot get a room here my next choice would be the sister property in Terlingua called the Big Bend Resort and Adventure.

Room Tip: We stayed in the C block with 2 floors and were careful to tell our kids to tread softly. View was w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank shashi b
Singapore
Reviewed December 21, 2012

If you are not going down the route of camping in the great outdoors, i would say staying at Chisos Mountain Lodge (CML) is kind of a necessity.
The national park is so enormous in scale, with so many different trails, that you probably have to stay at least one night to fully appreciate the national park.

The lodge is in a good location - near the panther junction, which is right smack in the middle of BBNP.

I would summarize by saying the accommodation is not worth the money.
The positives:
- spacious room
- few packets of Seattle coffee in the room
- shower heating works well
- balcony for star gazing
- WiFi in room was of acceptable reception
- room looks spartan, but clean

However, for the price, and no breakfast included, there is a feeling that this is overpriced.
I guess you are paying for the convenience, and the comforts it offers in a more or less barren landscape.
There is no TV in the room, but that is understandable.
There is a convenience store that sells general food, drinks and wares.
The entire establishment is pretty dark, which is for the stargazing.
There is a restaurant at the gift shop, but i did not try it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Conjured
Leander, Texas
Reviewed December 8, 2012

While walking back to our room from dinner at the lodge, a mountain lion attacked my son. The lion took my son from my wife, who was holding his hand, and dragged him into the bushes. I was able to stab the lion with a pocket knife to get him to release my son, but he's lucky to be alive and only have minor facial scars as a result.

If you stay here, you do so at your own peril. The combination of low lighting (so as not to ruin the star gazing), "natural" landscaping (bushes, trees, etc), the smell of food (from the restaurant), abundant water from the treatment facility for the lodge/employee housing sewage and the local lions' constant exposure to people without negative consequences (habituation) make this place unnaturally dangerous. Don't believe that you are safer here than in the wilderness - the opposite is true, and if you read the history of lion attacks in Texas, you will find a majority occur in this area of Big Bend.

CML did provide us with a first aid kit to dress his wounds, helped me pack my bags into my truck in time to follow the ambulance to Alpine, and refunded us for the night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank Jason H
houston,tx
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Although I have lived in Texas 40+ years and love national parks, I had never visited Big Bend until recently. My husband and I stayed at the park lodge and were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations. It's not like the great lodges of the West by any means, but considering the remoteness of the area, we found it comfortable. The setting is fabulous. There is a dining room and outside balcony with a beautiful view of The Windows. The food was adequate and reasonably priced. You can order a sandwich for lunch and have a picnic in the park. Our only complaint was you could easily hear your neighbors. Next time we would choose a the second floor room or one of the cabins behind the lodge. We would also bring some of our own food because there is a small refrigerator. The convenience store on the property is not very well stocked. Our other wish was for a lounging area to sit and read or watch a fire. The dining area is the only gathering spot; however, this is a wonderful resource for Texas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 7 in Fort Davis
Lajitas Golf Resort
Lajitas Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Lajitas

Been to Chisos Mountains Lodge? Share your experiences!