“An amazing adventure into lands you seldom see”

Des Moines, Iowa
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“An amazing adventure into lands you seldom see”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Fascinating land, a part of Colorado that remains well hidden. We took the 8-hour Forest Service tour--starting at 8 a.m. in La Junta and caravaning to the canyon. There were four other cars, plus a lead car with our guide and a car at the end with two volunteers. The Forest Service will give you recommendations on how to prepare, so pay attention. Make sure you have a spare tire. One car did have a flat. Take a lot of water. And make your lunch compact, as you walk across the river with it. We went when the river was a tad high, but walking across was no problem. And it helped to cool us off in the 100 degree heat. I wish the Forest Service would cut the ranch at the end out of the tour--it was not that big of a deal, plus it was way too hot by then. I also would have paid a bit more to have had some printed materials for additional information and to help remember some of what the guide said. It is hard to say what my favorite part was--probably the dinosaur tracks. But I loved the overall environment and the drive itself, with all the amazing rock formations. The time flew. Our four-wheel drive handled the trip well, as did we--we're both in our late 60s.

Visited September 2013
6 Thank spanishpeeks

Denver, Colorado
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Private tour”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were fortunate to have a private tour of the Picketwire Canyonlands with a group from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science in August and it was nearly 100 degrees. The dinosaur track area is amazing as it is the largest track area in the world. You can hike or bicycle in on a 11+ mile round trip on your own, or take a tour with a Forest Service staffer. Taking a tour is a great way to go. The staffer is full of information and very knowledgeable. You must have a reservation and a high clearance 4 wheel drive. The tours are given on Saturdays in the spring and fall.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Christine P
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Prehistoric tracks in an ancient shoreline.”
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

There are 2 ways to see this ancient trackway. Unless you are in good physical condition and can tolerate the heat; it's well worth the money to take the guided tour. Along the way you will find the ruins of an old church & cemetery from the time of the Spanish exploration and settlement of the area; as well as pictographs etched into the sand-stone by Native Americans. You can go it alone - but it's a long hike. Depending on the time of year, heat can be a major factor. It's doable if you are able bodied - either way you make the trek, this is well worth your effort.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Troyjs
Eastchester, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A must for any dinosaur lover.”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Picketwire, or Purgatoire, is home to the largest site of dinosaur tracks in America. My girlfriend and I camped at the campsite the night before, and then hiked in early the next morning. The canyon is beautiful; we enjoyed the sights as we walked the 5.3 miles to the site of the tracks. The tracks themselves were amazing! Mostly Allosaurus and Apatosaurus. The walk back was quite hot, since at that point it was 1030am. Wear light clothes and bring plenty of water. The effort is worth it, though - trust me!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank CPXJ
Ogden, Utah
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I want to come back here with better camera equipment than I had with Me. How did this place come to be? You start looking around and suddenly there's just not enough time in the day to see it all! I'll be back here for sure on my next trip!

Visited May 2013