“Good location, quiet and clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Midtown Motel

Midtown Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in La Junta
Greeley, Colorado
“Good location, quiet and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Reasonably priced, clean, comfortable. Close to downtown but not far from US Hwy 50. I enjoy this locally owned place as opposed to the chain motels directly on the highway. The motel is 2-story with rooms opening to the outside, overlooking the parking lot.There are a few somewhat larger rooms with king beds and either a sofa or recliner, which is the type of room I have booked each time I've overnighted at the Midtown. My room had somewhat dated wood paneling, but it was still pleasant. The bed and furniture are comfortable and in very good condition. The bath is small and no-frills, but clean and perfectly adequate. There's prompt and plentiful hot water in the tub shower, and towels/linens are of good quality. Rooms have mini-fridge, coffeemaker, microwave, flat-screen TV, and Wi-Fi included (good signal quality). I especially like the location, just a few blocks east of downtown and a couple of blocks from the local Fox Cinema. It's easy to walk down 3rd Street and find something to eat or see a movie, and prices in La Junta are very low compared to what I'm used to. Lucy's Tacos is an excellent taco stand with a wide variety of authentic Mexican food, very close to the motel, and I was surprised to see they're open early, even on Sundays, so that's become my breakfast place of choice. I get a breakfast burrito and take it back to the room. A short drive east on 3rd Street from the motel is Hogs Breath Saloon, a decent local barbecue place. In the relative context of small town eateries, I've found it to be a good choice for dinner. The motel management asks for a lot of information upon checking in. It seems like a bit of overkill, but I roll with it, and the next time I stop there they have the data on file and know which room I prefer.

Room Tip: With a few exceptions the ground floor rooms have parking spaces in front of them. If this makes a d...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Glenmere7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed overnight, visiting family. Staff was quite friendly and helpful. Our room was ground floor and near the office and ice machine, but not at all noisy, as I had expected. A lot of pipeline workers are apparently staying here and elsewhere in La Junta, but they were pretty quiet and considerate as they left early in the AM for their shifts, I guess.
The central location is hard to beat. The rooms are simple and practical. This is our second stay, after a four-year lapse, and we would stay here yet again, next time we visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CoachRobert
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here for one night. The lawn outside the office is neat as a pin. My room was small but adequate, and the amenities were no-frills. The gentleman at the desk was pleasant, but the room had a smell that seemed to indicate they tried hard to cover something, like too much air freshener. As others have noted, the AC is loud, but overall a decent stay. I'd much rather spend my money with a locally owned property than a chain any day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Travel_loco_mom
La Junta, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We've stayed at Midtown for years when we come thru western Colorado. It is clean, simply decorated, and modestly priced. Peaceful and pleasant. Recent remodelling is an added plus. The staff & ownership are friendly & helpful. Flat screen TV with DirectTV, comfy recliner, microwave & mini-refrig, lamps well-placed for reading, very comfortable bed. I never have to worry about whether it is truly clean. I feel very safe here also. We will continue to return to Midtown as one of our favorite motels.

2 Thank Vonda B
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Family owned great little property. Well maintained, friendly staff. Wife and I went up 4th and 5th of July to see Bent's Fort. She is a history buff and the period costumes, performances were superlative. Well worth the time and trip. Room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Plenty of TV available through Directv. Didn't watch much thought because we were there for each other. I am an HVAC tech by living and the AC was great! Has a remote control to operate it. Nice touch. Recliners were comfortable and conducive to reading. Lamps were well placed. Comfortable bed with clean linens two normal sized firm pillows. Noticed room was heated be baseboard hydronic heat (hot water boiler) which is very comfortable heat in this part of the country, not drafty. Makes for a cozy room. I will bring us back here some time this winter. The room doesn't have some of the amenities that all the luxury places throughout the country has like refrigerator, iron, etc but it does have a hair dryer, microwave, ice machines 2 or 3 I think I saw. Nice tub and shower combo with plenty of hot water, and a sink with a large mirror and space around the sink. There was a radio/clock, two nightstands and a long deep shelf next to the sink for suitcases which also doubled as a place to hang up clothes, The whole layout of the room was very convenient. Boss Hogg Saloon and Copper Kitchen great meals!

Room Tip: Upstairs next to the office convenient to ice, parking and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joegano1
Tulsa, OK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Needing a place to stay one night while on the road, we picked Midtown Motel after reading the reviews. I'm not sure if I stayed in the same motel that was reviewed, but I was really disappointed. Yes, I knew it was "inexpensive" (total $63.50), so wasn't expecting much, and basically that's what I got. We had asked for a king, but after being told there were none available, we chose a queen room. I doubt very much the bed we had could qualify as a queen, however, it was clean - as was the room in general. The problem came when we decided to go to bed. There are bright lights shining at each door on the outside - good for security - bad for sleeping. The "drapes" were very thin, cheap curtains that did nothing to block out the light. It was basically like trying to sleep with the lights on. I know Wal-Mart sells light blocking curtains for about $10 - that's all it would take to make a BIG difference in someone's night sleep. The other issue we had were the electrical outlets. There were 2 outlets in the room, but each only had 1 plug that worked. There was a power strip on the desk with every plug filled, so it was impossible to charge our phones. The other 1 plug in the working outlet was used for the lamp above the bed. During my many awake hours, I had horrible thoughts of the room exploding into flames from the over-used outlets. I would probably rate this even lower, but as said before, it was clean, however, if a good night's sleep is what you're needing, I would recommend another motel.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Mattoon, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed here while traveling late and on a budget. As with most small-town motels we were skeptical at first. We arrived late with no reservation. The parking lot was full. The front desk clerk (possibly owner) was prompt, friendly, and check in was quick. This is an older style "highway" motel, but the room was very clean. The bed was firm but good. It is not a plush motel by any means, but if you're looking for a economical place to sleep that's clean and free from worries, this will do. The rate was $55+ tax. There are other chain motels in town for twice as much, but this fit the bill quite well.
We gave this an above average because for a small town place, and compared to others, it was a pleasant surprise. We would stay here again.

1 Thank JnR2
#1 of 1 in La Junta
4.0 of 5 stars 17 reviews
Holiday Inn Express La Junta-Hwy 50
Americas Best Value Inn Las Animas

Been to Midtown Motel? Share your experiences!