“Beer in Los Alamos”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Was told the place is only a few months old. Bustling post work crowd. Nice atmosphere filling the pub or sports bar niche. Good selection of draft and bottled beer. Menu has a lot of "British" pub fair but not well done. Shepard's pie does not have beef and is minced meet. The choice of large pieces of meat proved difficult to eat and a little tough altho the overall dish was good. The banger with the mash was a bratwurst instead of a more appropriate choice. Overall it was ok but could be better.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was my first visit. I waited so long because I have such low expectations of dining in Los Alamos. These expectations were wildly exceeded; by local standards, I would give it a 5. Large selection of beers on tap, plus more bottled. Menu looked great, as did the burgers and fries on the tables around me. I had a steak salad. Mixed baby lettuces, and not iceberg. Well-marinated, tender flank steak, and lots of it (more like steak with greens than a salad with steak). Tasty dressing. Only flaw was that the steak was sliced before cooking. I'd been asked how I wanted it, which was medium rare, but knowing local tastes, I ordered rare. It came medium well, but for thinly sliced meat, how could you cook it less? It was still a good salad, and a lot of meat for $12. Service less than snappy and they hadn't hit peak demand yet; hopefully they'll be successful enough to afford another server. Overall, I could imagine getting a sub-par meal here, but the odds appear at least as good of getting something worth eating, together with good beer in a comfortable setting. Los Alamos needs this place, and I'll be back.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I had the opportunity to dine at Pajarito and it was simply terrible. After waiting approximately 20 minutes for a table (after 7 PM) my friend and I were seated. The restaurant will full and there appeared to be only two servers and two bar tenders for the entire restaurant. The hostess was pulling double duty seating guests and clearing tables.

As we waited to be seated we noted who had been served and who had not in an effort to anticipate the wait and turn around time to get food.

Once seated it took approximately 10 minutes to get a drink order in. After placing an order for one glass of wine and water, it took another 5 or more minutes to get the drinks. The server was apologetic but was clearly handling far too many tables to insure good service.

We placed an appetizer order for Little Neck Clams. It took about 15 mintues for these to reach the table. They were place on the table without providing appetizer plates and were not served with bread which would have been nice especially in light of the broth. The clams were slightly tough and were lukewarm. I tasted and my friend ate the remainder.

I ordered the ribeye with a salad and requested only vegetables as a side. The menu indicated the dish was served with mashed potatoes and grilled vegetables. Once served the dish came with a huge amount of the mashed potatoes and four pieces of zucchini that were raw with a slight hint of grill marks. The ribeye was prepared medium rare as ordered. I tried the zucchini but it was bitter and raw. I did not want nor did I eat the potatoes. My friend tried the potatoes and thought they were not hot enough.

We observed guests around us that had been seating just before and at the same time as were were experiencing significant waits in getting food and beverages.

Overall, the service was slow. Our server was unable to keep waters filled and the food was just not good. She was not there to suggest another wine, nor did we get checked on to see if there was anything else we needed once served. Not sure why this restaurant is popular other than there's so few places to eat in Los Alamos.

You are better off driving down the hill to Espanola to El Paragua for a great steak and better service.

Overall disappointing.

4  Thank Tariance
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Not really a brewpub (they don't make their own beer) but a good selection nonetheless.

I thought the food portions were a little small but it just may have been my selections (guiness pie).

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I gave this establishment three dots instead of two simply because they are only a few months old, appear to be trying really hard on some fronts and the night we dined there was REALLY busy.

First, if you are a host and a couple walks in and has patiently waited for 20 minutes or more for a table, DON'T give the two nicer available booths to other couples who arrived AFTER the first couple who you stuck at a tiny table back by the restrooms. Seeing two other same size groups who arrived AFTER us get seated at much nicer tables is a surefire way to get the kind of reaction I'm sharing here. One couple, who the host knew and had a conversation with while we were all waiting for a table spent more time dancing to the band in the crowded confines of the space between tables, others were given the nice, cushy booth they had been given. In the end, neither we nor the couple who arrived at least 15 minutes after us got to sit in one of the better booths the restaurant has to offer.

Second, I don't care if its the night before St. Patrick's Day or any other day, New Mexico has a horrible problem with DWI and seeing multiple people visibly intoxicated no matter the occasion or day, is sure to catch up with an establishment. Even in a small, insulated, homogenous, highly self-entitled town like Los Alamos.

The pub has an upbeat, casual decor, extensive draught beer menu and many inspired food items incorporating fine beers. The menu seems split between a cut above average pub food and a nod to some finer dining hints, but all in an informal setting. Executing those finer points is something that hopefully comes with time.

Service appears to be a cross between slow and slower with the emphasis on friends and local regulars getting preferential treatment. Maybe we just need to go more often and once the staff recognizes us, we'll be on the in crowd list.

My wife ordered the corned beef and cabbage special which I tried so feel capable of commenting on it. The cabbage and pan roasted potatoes were very good but the corned beef was sliced way too thick and had a coarse, inedible vein of gristle rendering about 50% of her entree useless.

Of course, it was all lukewarm given the above mentioned lack of punctuality. I had the LANL burger which was good, but it was dry and more than well done when it was ordered medium. It lacked flavor despite being a blend of ground beef and pork and was offered with a horseradish cheddar which should have been discernible but wasn't. Again, served lukewarm not for any real reason other than lack of coordination between the kitchen and servers. Or maybe the servers need additional help when its that busy?

The beers we had were the highlight of the evening and hopefully things will continue to be worked on to improve all aspects of what appears to be a very popular spot in an otherwise dismal restaurant scene in Los Alamos.