“Change of Pace”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We visit Los Alamos two or three times a year to hike at Bandelier. It was always a challenge to find a place to eat dinner on the weekend (the town seems to shut down on weekends). The Central Diners was so-so but now it has re-opened as Dixie Girl Market. A higher end restaurant with good food that does not think it has to add red chili to every dish. The pan Roasted Chicken ($14) and Pork Chops ($17) were both very good. We will go back. Enjoy!

There are newer reviews for Dixie Girl

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The Hill Top Diner used to serve an amazing Turkey and Avocado, with Swiss on Ciabatta Bread. I hated eating there because it was so dirty but the sandwich was amazing and it made the appearance of the restaurant almost tolerable.

I went to Dixie Girl on Friday, April 26th with the hope of having the Turkey Sandwich because I was told Hill Top Diner brought over some of their menu items to Dixie Girl. I was happy to see how clean Dixie Girl is but dismayed that they did not carry the sandwich on their menu. There are a lot of sea food dishes on the menu, great if you love sea food, terrible if you hate sea food (I hate sea food).

The restaurant is nice to look at but extremely noisy with the volume of the music adding to the noise instead of creating a pleasant atmosphere.

We asked the waitress about one of the menu items and her response was “I don’t know”, she did not volunteer to ask the cook the question. I ordered fettuccine, which was good and I think I would order it again. The fettuccine came with a salad. The waitress served me the salad on a hot plate (straight from the dishwasher I assume) of course this caused the salad to be wilted and bitter. The waitress was not generous with water/drink refills and I had to ask for a water refill – later my husband drank my water (he was out) and then we drank my mom’s water.

-Refilling water
-Putting salad on a cold plate (not a hot plate)
-Offering to find out the answer to a question
These are the very basic things a waitress should be trained to do.

I will go back and give it one more try – my mom and husband enjoyed their meal, and I liked the fettuccine. I hope the owners read these reviews and use them to make improvements. Maybe they should remind the waitress that tips are a reflection of the service they give. I’ll go again with the hope of better service, perhaps the waitress was having a bad day, or perhaps she was not trained properly.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were so excited to have another restaurant option in Los Alamos, but that excitement was quickly tempered. We had a baby, so we wanted take out options. We called in the order and when my husband went to pick it up he was scolded for getting take out, because "presentation is an important part of our food, we don't like doing take out orders." I have never heard of something so ridiculous, and if they don't want our business we don't plan to return. More importantly, the food was average at best, even the best presentation wouldn't have improved the taste.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

When first opened, the food was great. The set up is more appropriate for a date night than a group of friends. A bit pricy for regulars. Bar has a nice wine selection.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I've been here numerous times for both lunch and dinner and always enjoyed the varied selections. They have some really tasty dishes. I loved their "gumbolaya" and the shrimp and grits. And the mahi mahi dinner entree was quite good. You can even get it as a sandwich for lunch. In season, they have a salad with organic tomatoes and other nice selections. I had the bread pudding once and it was quite good. And contrary to what some other reviewers have said, the prices are on par with Santa Fe restaurants.Their happy hour are specials are good, and I think they're now open for Sunday brunch, a rarity in town. I highly recommend this restaurant.