“Best place I've stayed in Los Alamos”
Review of North Road Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Alamos
North Road Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Los Alamos B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I grew up in Los Alamos and go back to visit, so I have stayed in a number of places over the years. This is by far, the best place I've stayed. I was traveling with my brother, and we chose the North road Inn because we could get a two room suite for much less than one single hotel room (let alone two). It was way better than we were expecting! We had two bedrooms, a kitchen with eating area and a sitting room--like an apartment.

The beds were quite comfortable. It's in a residential area, and we could hear the birds singing. It was very pleasant to sit outside on the deck, enjoying the view and the fresh air. So much nicer than downtown! (Which isn't that far away. Los Alamos just isn't that big.)

The breakfast was spectacular! Besides a generous continental- like set up with fresh fruit, breads and pastries, etc., each person gets a made to order hot breakfast. The owner, who is very warm and friendly, creates a very comfortable atmosphere. I often lingered at breakfast, enjoying conversation with the other guests, and especially with Cathy, the owner.

I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone staying in Los Alamos, especially for any kind of extended stay--it's like a home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank stl-senior
There are newer reviews for North Road Inn

Reviewed April 24, 2009

This is a tough one to review. And understand that despite it's faults, I'd stay here again. I love Homewood Suites, but I couldn't afford it on this trip, so I chose the two bedroom suite at North Road at a more affordable price. We had four rooms for the price of one regular hotel room. This is a tough one to review. It's not pretty, but it grows on you. It appears to be in a state of disrepair and renovation. I was shocked at how worn out things were, and befuddled at the poor furniture arrangement but pleasantly surprised with the new front door and the two new fridges adorning the newly tiled front room (soon to be a new kitchen?) and at the overall spaciousness. Our rooms were definitely early apartment but maybe that's in the process of changing? Regardless, the place grew on us and surprisingly, I wouldn't have minded staying a bit longer. It was an advantage to have a full kitchen to save us from eating out every night. We found both the food and the company at the breakfast table pleasant. Most of the guests had long term business at the National Lab, making unconventional but very interesting conversation. Yes, we'd stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2009

An extremely friendly place with nice cozy rooms, uncomplicated internet access and a great family atmosphere. The cooked breakfast was extremely good and offered a variety of options.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank 111,088
Reviewed April 1, 2009

My family and I stayed one night at the North Road Inn. In the end, we wished we could have stayed longer. We had a weekend breakfast, which they bill as "continental" but that is an understatement. Although there was nothing "hot", the breakfast choices were still varied and plentiful. Many of the people in the dining room are "regulars" who are open and friendly, making for good breakfast conversation if you want to partake.

The "room" we had is more of a condominium. It was not elegant, but comfortable and sunny. The kitchen was well-stocked with needed pans, dishes and utensils.

For less than the price of many smaller and less pleasant hotel rooms, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AidanSineadsMom
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I stayed at the NRI in March 2009 based on reviews from Tripadvisor and I was very disappointed. I was travelling with my son on a father/son road trip during spring break and thought a two bedroom suite would be nice.

Pros: Cathy, the manager, was very nice and knowledgeable of the area. I could not get my son up by the end of breakfast service (8:30am) but I'm sure it is a fine meal.
The room rate was reasonable at $85.
The location was fine, in a residential neighborhood, a bit of a drive to shopping and restaurants (of which there is little choice in Los Alamos).
There is a kitchenette with a stove and microwave and sink so you could do some simple cooking.

Cons: Cathy seems a little overwhelmed by running this Inn and is a bit disorganized. Expect to leave a message on the phone and hope she calls you back.
The room was very tired and dated. It felt like a time warp back to the 1950's. Old blue carpet, old stained and scratched furnishings and woodwork. It would take a handy man a while to fix all the little things in disrepair in this suite. The bed was old but reasonably comfortable. Random cheap decorations sort of placed willy nilly. The room looked like it had been painted by a high school kid. There were a bunch of rotten wood chips that leaked into the bathtub where the tile was missing caulk when I took a shower. Be aware this place is not air conditioned and the only fresh air comes from two sliding glass doors. Two fans were provided. Although this was March, the room felt stuffy with the doors closed. The two back bedrooms were very dark and had no windows. I don't know how anyone can stay here in the Summer. You would have to leave your doors open and then still be miserable, I imagine. If you leave your doors open, besides the security concern, cars drive by about 30 feet away and people are walking up and down the walkway right next to your doors, talking to each other at a very early hour.
Los Alamos seems like a very safe town but there is very little to do here. It is about 40 minutes drive to Santa Fe and I would recommend staying there if you are just touring the area. I booked a infinitely nicer room in Santa Fe using Hotwire for $61, tax and fees included.
I would only recommend NRI in cool weather for a family on a budget who needs temporary accomodations in Los Alamos who would like a kitchenette.

• Stayed: March 2009
Reviewed February 18, 2009

My husband and I were delighted with the extraordinary breakfast at this B & B. The atmosphere was casually elelgant and the selection provided anything you could possibly desire. Even though we arrived near to the end of the breakfast hour, Catherine cooked us a full meal with eggs and pancakes. Great coffee! I would recommend the North Road Inn to anyone staying in Los Alamos. Wonderful.
Linda and Don

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lindagrounds
Reviewed July 20, 2008

I was a little hesitant to bring my 3 sons to an Inn - but Kathy the innkeeper said it would be OK. It was more than OK. The park across the street is fantastic for parents and kids alike. The town has much to do but is idyllic for a city dweller who wants to unwind. Bandelier Nat'l Park is but a brief 20 minute drive (and well worth it). Breakfast prepared by Kathy is more than adequate and we didn't want for anything - OK, a fan (which we promptly received) as far as our accommodations. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
#51 of 60 in Santa Fe

Been to North Road Inn? Share your experiences!