“Very clean, good view, friendly staff.”

and 1 more site!
Badlands Interior Motel and Campground
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Interior
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Arrived after dark. The key was in our room and lites on. Room small but very clean. Had a nice talk with staff next morning. Very friendly and informative. Great view next morning.
Sunrise over the badlands. I would give it 5 stars but the door to the room stuck.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MNemptynest

Reviewed September 23, 2009

The Badlands Budget Host Inn is a modest establishment but the rooms are as clean as can be and the owners are very courteous.

It's wonderful to sit outside your room in the evening after a day of sightseeing in the Badlands National Park, just gazing at the distant hills, listening to the silence, reading a book.

The price is very low for the region in summer and the motel has the only outdoor swimming pool for the park and immediiate adjacant area.

It was a great 2 day interlude on a much longer trip!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2DogsCalgary
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Arrived at 1:30 am with no reservation. At first I was leary because it had no tv and no phone. When we awoke the next morning and saw the view it soon made no difference about the tv or phone. The people were fantastic and they even let us smoke in the room. The room was big and clean and I could not ask for more. What was supposed to be a one night stay turned into 4 and we will be back again next year. Even without the phone or tv I would give this place the highest of ratings.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank papasmurf63901
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We were heading back to Illinois from SD and were just going to drive thru the Badlands. We decided to Stay overnight if we could find a place to stay. I checked the travel book and came across this place and made a call. They said they had a room and said they were nothing fancy but clean and friendly. Our room #19 was VERY large and clean. The above ground pool was great for the kids to take a dip. We brought our bikes and the area to ride in was wonderful. We had such a nice day we requested an extra night and they were able to let us keep our room. Every room was booked we met very nice families who all shared the same feelings we did. Low price, beautiful location, fun pool, nice place to get a home cooked meal and a very friendly staff. We would stay there again and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank insearchoffuntimes
Reviewed June 29, 2009

My parents stayed a week at the budget host. They were looking for someplace clean. they were very satisfied with their room. The hotel is very basic. No telephone, no tv. They have a cafe attached that they say stayed busy all the time they were there.
They were pleased with the staffs helpfulness and the quiet of the area.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ts308
Reviewed July 14, 2008

In my many years traveling on a student budget I have come to know and love the 1 star hotel. What I expect from a 1 star hotel is: 1) a clean room/bathroom; 2) a decent bed; 3) somewhat safe location; 4) a heating/cooling system that heats and cools. All four of those things equals above average. Anything else is extra.

My room at the Badlands Budget Host was relatively clean. The lamp shades were still sporting their original plastic coverings which included specimens of the dead fly variety (stuck in the plastic folds). The bathroom was clean, but there was so much lime or corrosion deposited on the tub fixtures that it took me a few minutes to dislodge the little switch to turn the water from the tub to the shower.

The bed was pretty bad. The mattress was squeaky and old. There was no mattress pad (that I can recall... if there was, it certainly wasn't notable). The sheets were typical 1 star sheets-- about 44 thread count. Pillows were old. I used my own.

The room was hot when I got in to it. The room AC (installed in the wall) was old, but I cranked it up to full blast and it cooled off relatively quickly.

The location, though, was pretty great. The hotel is located at the south entrance of the park and looks out over a spectacular landscape. There is no town to speak of (Interior has a population of around 60), so it's not a place to go to for a good night out. I saw a spectacular sunset in the park and then watched the stars which were captivating. It's a safe location if for no other reason than the town is tiny and the people are friendly. I left my car full of my most precious possessions (with me for a cross country move) and did not bat an eyelash.

The hotel is a family run place and the minimal dining area (they serve breakfast and dinner) is plastered with letters to the owners thanking them for wonderful experiences. While my experience was pretty basic, I can imagine having a truly memorable experience at the place. Also of note, no TVs, phones or radios in the place. Swimming pool is an above ground pool which is surrounded by a deck. The place also has a camp ground abutting it.

If I was returning to the Badlands and not camping, I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank psyli
Reviewed July 12, 2007

This motel is in the middle of the "badlands" and was impressed with the scenery. The motel had NO phone, TV or heat !

The price was moderate, but considering that the floor squeaked and the toliet was not securely bolted to the floor........
wouldn't stay there again!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank MsDownshift
Also consider these accommodations in or near Interior
Best Western Plains Motel
24 mi away
Budget Host Sundowner
Budget Host Sundowner
#2 of 6 in Kadoka

Been to Badlands Interior Motel and Campground? Share your experiences!