“Old Time Charm”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berlin
Willow Grove,PA
“Old Time Charm”
Reviewed May 25, 2007

This is a great place to stay as you get the ambience of an historic hotel,but without the extravagant price of a Cape May type B&B. While the standard rate room might be considered small, it is what you'd expect from a 1900 hotel. I loved the antiques and reading on the wrap around porch, and the well stocked bar had Dogfish Head beer and a good wine list. I recommend this to anyone who wants to see Ocean City,Md. but does not want to live in Calcuttta like circumstances of that town. I think it's only 20 minutes to Ocean City.

Good food and the night I was there, there was a piano bar entertainment and local patrons channeled Frank Sinatra and Vic Damone for a couple of hours.

Stayed September 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
NJ
Reviewed March 20, 2007

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Atlantic Hotel. I was a bit leary after reading the posts here, but our room was already booked. Our room was small, but that is to be expected in a hotel this old. My biggest concern with any hotel is cleanliness. Thankfully, our room was clean. There was a little dust on the back of a bedside table, but that was it. The sheets, carpet, bathroom... were all clean. The only place we saw that looked like it needed some vacuuming was the hotel elevator in the back. But with people coming and going on it, I can't imagine it can be clean 100% of the time.

One thing that would be nice is if they provided coffee and/or tea to hotel guests in their restaurant or bar area for a few hours in the morning.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We were looking for a bed and breakfast/inn off the beaten path of Ocean City. Berlin is a small town that is a short drive from Ocean City, MD and Rehobath Beach, Delaware. Unfortunately, the experience at this inn has turn me off of bed and breakfast/inns for a while. The furnishings in our room were just old, dirty and cheap. It was not comfortable. The room lacked the charm of the furnishings in the common areas and small touches that you expect in an inn. The room was extremely dusty. I could write my name in the dust on the nightstand shelf and the t.v. shelf. The t.v. was a little 13 inch t.v. on a little stand. When looking for an outlet for my IPOD, I found dirty facial tissues under the head of the bed. After finding someone else's earring on the carpet, I requested that the room be cleaned. The management was apologetic and had the room cleaned--sort of. The tissues were still on the floor when we left and the room was still in need of a good dusting and vacuuming. When returning to the room, my husband was questioned by the cleaning staff as to who complained about the room. On the plus side, dinner in both dinning rooms was good.

• Liked — located in small town just a short drive from other activities
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Foreignland
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this hotel over the 4th of July weekend. We live and work in the Washington, DC area and were looking for the perfect weekend getaway -- away from the crowds & the traffic! (Something not always easy to do on such a busy holiday weekend) The Atlantic Hotel was just what we were looking for! We stayed in a deluxe room (which is their largest room option offered ... with a queen size bed and what we'd recommend to other couples interested in staying at this hotel ... the other size rooms only offer double size beds!) Our room was decorated in victorian antiques and was very cozy and welcoming. ** Hint, there's a picture book with photos of each room at the hotel at the check-in desk, ask the staff if you can view the rooms before checking-in if possible - the hotel allows you to reserve a specific room if it's available! ** (The hotel was sold out when we stayed there and luckily we liked our room but, it's a nice option if the rooms are available to choose from) A full breakfast was served every morning from 8am - 10am. Although be careful with what you consider to be a "full breakfast" and be warned of the numerous flys that were surrounding the hotel (inside & out). Not sure what that was about and why there were so many of them around??? But all-in-all the breakfast was sufficient and served it's purpose. The front porch of the hotel has relaxing rocking chairs and each floor has private covered porches (also w/ rocking chairs) where you can sit and read the newspaper/ a good book. We didn't eat at the hotel's restaurant, however the decor looked very nice, clean and there's often piano music or singing waiters at dinner. The town of Berlin was wonderful. My husband and I walked up & down Main Street and explored all of the local shops! **Only complaint was 1/2 of the shops were closed because the owners were out of town for the holidays!** Just beyond Main Street, there's a TCBY, Subway, Pizza Place, Food Lion & Rite Aid. About four miles up the road is also a Walmart and 6 miles up the road is Ocean City with everything you need. I'm not sure if I'd recommend this hotel for families? I don't think that children would be able to appreciate the victorian historic charm and quietness of the town. (And there's not a lot of activities in the town to keep them occupied) I do think this hotel is perfect for couples however. We will definitely be staying here again -- perhaps in the fall or Christmas which we were told by the staff is a beautiful time to visit when the hotel & town are completely decorated and lots of festivities take place. If you're looking for something different, a place with a lot of charm and away from the main stream but close enough to the modern conveniences - The Atlantic Hotel & the town of Berlin is just the ticket!!

• Stayed July 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 14, 2006

This is my second time at the Atlantic. I am always delighted with the cozy rooms and wonderful antiques. Both restaurants are fabulous and service, in general, is both warm and helpful. My last visit at the Atlantic was more tainted than the first. After I found two very unsightly and disgusting hairs... you know what kind I am refering to... along with other hairs and small foreign objects in my bed, I was quite grossed out! There were hairs in the shower and a dried spot of urine on the toilet seat. The first time I stayed at the hotel, I cleaned the bathroom myself and changed a burned out light bulb. All in all, outside of the cleanliness issues, this is a hotel with a lot of charm and character.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank TrvlMacLdy
Reviewed August 14, 2004

The Atlantic Hotel is great place if you're looking for a quiet, romantic getaway. It is well away from the hustle and bustle of Ocean City, but a short drive will find you at the beach. The Inn has wonderful yesterday atmosphere with all the comforts of the today. The only drawback was the scarcity of parking.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2004

WOW, what a pleasant little place. My wife and I spent a chilly Feb weekend there and loved it. Can not wait to go back in summer and get full experience. May not be so great for families, but a couple looking to get away can sure have good fun here. Plus Ocean City was only 15 minutes away. Try the home made chips at lunch and then go next door and get a root beer float. WOW

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ocean City
#80 of 103 in Ocean City
Sleep Inn Salisbury
Sleep Inn Salisbury
#2 of 14 in Salisbury

Been to Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!