“quiet and restful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berlin
Holland House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Berlin B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed for two nights from Sept 7-9. It was a quiet weekend--exactly what we wanted. Jan is very knowledgable abut the area and gives great advice on eateries and local activities. Breakfast was served at 8:30 am and was delicious. The house has an interesting history, is clean and tastefully decorated. Berlin is a small, quaint town. We spent one day in the town and one day on the beach. GREAT FOOD at the Atlantic. Stay away from Ocean City. We had the WORST meal ever on the water. Jan says that is typical of Ocean City restaurants. Wish we had consulted her beforehand! The B&B is located right next to the downtown area. Couldn't be better.

Room Tip: The room at the end of the downstairs hall is the quietest.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tphnurse
There are newer reviews for Holland House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at HH for one night only as we were looking for a place to be near our friends in a rv place in Berlin. We love bed and breakfasts and have stayed in lots of them in the U.S. And Europe. They are much more interesting than hotels and are kind of an adventure in themselves, since they are all so different and the experience is varied and (expectantly) cool. Holland house did not disappoint in the cool department. Right in town, with cute vintage shops near, the house is decorated in soft antique style with taste and comfort. The bed was great, the room small but crisp and clean, the breakfast ok but not inspired (I love great coffee, so if you're going to serve me ordinary food like white flour plain pancakes I would forgive all for wonderful coffee--this was also ordinary maxwell house or some such). Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Call in advance since same price for small or large rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Acadianwoman
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Was not going to book due to reading one negative review, but thought we'd try because of location. Sooo glad we did! Jan could not have been more gracious, breakfast -- wonderful, room -- spotless. Hope to return for longer stay. Bob and Margie Michel

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Margie M
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'm from Pennsylvania and I've stayed at the Holland House Bed & Breakfast 3 times this Year, 2012, since May - Once in May, once in July, and just this past in August. Each time I stayed a few days. Overall I'm very satisfied to say the least or I wouldn't of come back for the 3rd time in one year.

I've stayed in 3 different Rooms there and I have zero complaints - and I'm a tough one. I like my privacy, I like good food, I want to feel at home, and I expect to get want I paid for. And Yes, I got all that there. The rooms are neat, clean, decorated nicely with furniture you'd like in your own home. The beds are comfortable. i've even taken mid day siestas just to revive for more. Picture perfect.

The owners are very down to earth people. I feel as though I'm at home - in their home - yet separate. My typical day when I wake up there: I get up - and more or less get dressed and go out to the pantry where I find a hot pot of fresh coffee made. I go out to the sitting room where I watch the morning weather report and drink my coffee as I see what the day sets forth. Then I go back to my room and do what I need to do to get ready for my day.

By that time, its breakfast time 08:30 a.m. I don't know how you think... but these people are letting me stay here, and they're going to make me a home cooked breakfast - just tell me what time. I'm all for that - I sure don't need or expect a menu at a place like this . I look forward to it. Breakfast time is also a chance to socialize with the other guests and get to meet some interesting people that like to travel or just get away - like me. I would call the dining room elegant.

I looked at the reviews here and see 9 excellent reviews out of a total of 10 - So I dismiss the 1 poor. I know its hard to please 100% of the people all the time. But the owners Jan & Jim do just that at their B&B. The one time i stayed 3 nights, up to Monday morning. Then Monday came Jan was going to be going to work so she ask me to pay check out prior to breakfast. I know she felt awkward asking, but as far as I was concerned I just didn't have to worry about it later. Relax and go with it. It's just the two of them, and also there two ladies working there that help. I usually see those people helping in the morning hours helping preparing breakfast. They are most likely clean rooms too but I'm usually out and about by then.

Oh and One other thing, The Holland House isn't $50 dollars cheaper, its $100 cheaper and for me 10 times better - And that value is compared to the Waystead inn or the Atlantic Hotel during the prime tourist season in Berlin, MD. The Holland House has 7 rooms available - You won't have to worry about a crowd of other people, an overbearing inn manager, or narrow corridors to maneuver.

Go, you'll love and enjoy it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Darrin L
Reviewed July 31, 2012

First off let me say I am sad to write a poor review but the owners need to know their B&B short comings as seen from a guest. My wife and I stayed at the HH over the weekend for one night ($140)and that was enough. Over the phone the owner was rather snarky about the arrival time (too late) and wanted to check us in/out at the same time because she had another job in the morning (Monday). Breakfast was at 8:30 sharp if you miss it too bad. Breakfast was some average fruit and a couple pancakes….that’s it! Here are my big complaints. The mattress was HORRABLE! The owner bragged about running and owing the B&B for 27 years and I don’t think they have changed the mattress since. Cardboard with a foam pad!! The pillows were Wal-Mart specials that could not have cost $5. They of course were foam as well. No complementary soft drinks ect, or treats in the room. Only SMALL waters in the butler pantry, No TV in the room, no shampoo, basically I got the overall feeling like the owner had perfected the art of giving the least amount of hospitality (lowest cost) possible while charging the same as the Atlantic Inn for a double standard room. Next time I will be staying at the Atlantic…spend the extra $50.00 it’s worth it!! The HH is nothing special PERIOD.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank DWRMaryland
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Holland House is a perfect B&B. It is quiet, spotless, and comfortable, and it's conveniently located for visiting Assateague's beaches. It's a place where you can relax and keep to yourself, yet the owners are so kind and more than happy to help you with anything you need. The breakfast was probably the best I have ever had. The town of Berlin is small and peaceful--mostly antique shops. There are a couple nice places to go have a drink or some food, all walkable from the B&B. We definitely plan to stay here again anytime we visit the beach!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IpoesJenny
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My fiance and I planned a beach weekend and wanted a comfortable place to stay for a night. Most of the B&Bs (including this one) in the area require a two night stay- Friday and Saturday- to reserve ahead of time but you can call on Saturday to see if there is any availability for the night. Luckily, we were able to call and make a reservation on our drive from DC. The innkeepers met us upon our arrival at approximately 8:30pm. We had a nice en suite room with comfortable furnishings. The location is right next to the "downtown" area with cute antique shops. We had a run along the quiet streets in the morning. Breakfast was orange juice, coffee, and a corn muffin (butter & strawberry preserves), potatoe, egg and tomato caserole, and two strips of bacon. It was fun to have breakfast with fellow travelers.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spartan14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Atlantic Hotel
#49 of 104 in Ocean City
Bedtime Inn
Bedtime Inn
#80 of 104 in Ocean City

Been to Holland House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!