“Cute as can be, but so-so crabs”

Assateague Crab House
Ranked #8 of 63 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Open weekends!
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It pains me to only give 3 stars to this great local spot. We love the setting of this adorable crab house just off Assategue Island. It's the kind of place every Hollywood movie should use as a set if there's a crab eating scene. This is a family owned place that's been here for years and there's plenty of friendliness extended to all of their guests by the staff.

The prices are very good and the service is excellent. My only qualm is their food. I wish I could say it was always great, but the crabs have been hit or miss and the last time we ate there our corn was way overcooked and the shrimp served was tiny. That said, they're known locally for their fried chicken. I'm not much of a chicken eater, but I did sample theirs and it lived up to the hype.

jvf3877, Owner at Assateague Crab House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

As a family owned restaurant we always try to provide a great experience, good service, and quality food at affordable prices for all ours customers. I'm sorry your crabs, sweet corn, and shrimp weren't up to your expectations. I will say this year has been particularly difficult for our local crabbers and agree with you this year's crabs have been hit or miss. As the summer continues and the weather improves hopefully the crabs will also get better. As far as your sweet corn and shrimp, I'm sorry and will pass along your thoughts to our kitchen staff. We truly want to please all visitors to our crab house and hope you'll continue to come see us. Thank you for your business and next time you stop, please ask for myself or my wife for any assistance.
John & Lorraine Van Fossen - Owners

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I like to go to family owned restaurants, like this one. There's pride in ownership. Here they have friendly staff and great food. I ordered a platter of a dozen blue crabs and split them with a friend. He showed me how to open them up and get at the meat. They were delicious. For dessert we had homemade blueberry pie. Also delicious.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Been coming here for years, it's like coming home. During the day Madeline greets you at the door. (a very friendly, and under ambitious chocolate lab) with a lazy day tail wag. Once you get past the sweetness of her face, you step into a very cozy, well decorated crab joint. Crab bushells for lamp shades, canoes, crabs and lobsters hanging from the ceiling. Not to mention their area of Popeye memorabilia.

The beers are cold and the all u can eat crabs are delicious. THey offer fried chicken, corn, slaw and shrimp along with the all u cans. Of course, the idea is that chicken is cheaper than sea food, so eat up! hahah..

At any rate, dont' miss this place. It's pretty inexpensive for what you get. And you'll definitely leave happy!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

It is definitely worth the drive out of OC or Assateague. Tucked in the back of a small "plaza", this crabhouse was the "catch" of our day! Very kid-friendly! Excellent service - our waitress Cori, went out of her way to please us and all of the waitstaff around were extra helpful. Food was delicious!!! I had the cream of crab soup and fried calamari - one of the best I've ever had! Our group tried almost everything on the menu- we left empty plates! Prices were very reasonable. We are definitely coming back!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is just outside Ocean City, MD on your way to Assateague Island but well worth the short drive to get there. The food here is fantastic and fresh and the atmosphere feels a bit rustic which is nice. I would definitely recommend that you try this place out and while you are out that way check out Assateague Island and you may see some wild horses!