“Windy. Windy. Windy.”

Assateague State Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: State park that is managed by Maryland's Department of Natural Resources.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very pretty setting. Nice that the beach is restricted to campers. Staff was friendly and helpful. Wind was crazy. We have a cabin tent which obviously is not good for wind to begin with but I was just proud that it never fell over and that we didn't end up in OZ. I do feel like it was truly an accomplishment. It was not a serene place to sleep - not because of people, but nature. Between the wind, horses, bugs, and who knows what else making noise it was just loud and difficult to sleep. Definitely glad I had long heavy duty tent stakes.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"beaches"
in 124 reviews

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Beautiful beach with wild horses and camping too. Stayed for a day and reserved campsite #95 right on beach facing ocean. Large campsite with picnic table and large firering!! Must reserve in advance to get good campsite. A must thing to do when visiting Ocean City area. This is my second time and counting!!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Spent a beautiful Sunday on the beach. The staff on the beach were helpful and the food at the snack bar was good. Our kids loved seeing the natural beach (no hotels) and the ponies. There were no flies or mosquitoes, so we picked a good time to come.

1  Thank Liv J
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I absolutely loved camping at Assateague State Park. We stayed in Loop B ocean side and were lucky enough to be right next to the bathhouse. Showers were warm, clean except for the copious amounts of sand that would be impossible to keep out. The beach was gorgeous and the water beautiful and clean. My kids saw wild horses, horseshoe crabs, ghost crabs, skates, and a small shark all in the same day. The shelling was good, too. I was worried about the mosquitoes but they were not bad at all because we had the gentle breezes from the ocean keeping them away even though it was hot there.
We were in a generator-allowed loop. You do have to turn them off for quiet hours from 10pm-7am. This is where we ran into the only hiccup of our entire stay. We were visited 3 times in one day by park rangers who requested that we move our generator due to someone else complaining of generator noise not during quiet hours. Instead of informing the one complainer that generators were allowed until 10pm and if they did not like it, they needed to move to a generator-free area.They spoke to everyone in the loop about their generators, not just us, even though we were not breaking any park rules. The first time I moved it closer to the camper, the second time I told the ranger that since we weren't breaking any rules the generator would be shut off promptly at 10pm during quiet hours and he agreed we were not in the wrong and went away, the third time a ranger showed up I called the park headquarters and complained. No more rangers bothered those people in our loop after that. Why the park rangers would harass campers who were obeying the rules due to the unfounded complaints of one person instead of informing that one person of their option to move to non-generator zones, I do not know.

With that said, that ridiculous ranger issue overlooked, it was truly a wonderful time at Assateague if you love tranquility and beautiful beaches and wildlife.