Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Nice beach

Assateague state park is a nice Beach because it's small and fairly Limited. The amenities are... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
grudz55
Salisbury, Maryland
via mobile
Pretty beach!

If you don’t want to spend $20 to get the the National Shoreline just stop by this State Park which... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
O6378WFannag
Chicago, Illinois
via mobile

All reviews wild ponies beautiful beach visitor center ocean city bath house camp store barrier island nature center annual pass horse poop bug spray horseshoe crabs great place to visit snack bar off season clams beaches
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My family spent a little time here after visiting Ocean City. Oh, how beautiful! We immediately saw three wild ponies when we arrived. This is nature at its best.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The only sort of complaint I had was we paid for two beaches. $6 per person for beach then $15 for park with beaches. My fault really didn't know there was two places. One was only good for one day other was good for whole week so I can't complain. Walked on to beach 11am several horses on beach. They said they could charge or bite but all the horses I saw could have cared less about our presence. Leave food in car, two teenage girls didn't, the horses actually took over their beach spot, really, they hung out under their umbrella. Later in the day several horses walked by the showers, take great pictures. The other park they had a couple of short nature hikes, very beautiful. Beach was great. Not overcrowded and felt as if my belongings were safe at all times. I didn't know what to expect but this was a nice treat. I would recommend this to everyone.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The beach is nice and clean. Me and my friends usually go to the national side because of better camping accommodations but the state is nice for the beach. There is a small store on the way to the beach from the parking lot that has really good crab cakes. The onion rings are also very good. The french fries not so much. They cover them with foil and they are soggy. I don't like soggy food. =(

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We got the impression from the visitor's center that you couldn't drive through without seeing the native ponies. While we did see evidence of their presence in the road (if you know what I mean), the best we got was one horse about a mile away across the water. Obviously, this is a natural park and not a zoo, so there is no way to guarantee you will see anything, and we understand that, but if you are bringing children, it is important to understand that they may leave disappointed. We were told by the guides to avoid the nature trails, as they were having severe mosquito issues, so we couldn't explore that area, and we're not beach-goers, so that wasn't an avenue for us as well. One positive is that your admission ticket gets you in for seven consecutive days, so if you do go and have a bad day, you can go back and try again. Just make sure that you go early in your vacation to give yourself that flexibility.

Date of experience: June 2013
1  Thank Chuck419
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The state beach is beautiful and much like the national park, you will see the wild ponies. There is a $4 in state fee per person for the day to visit the park. This is pricey as compared to the national park where the admission fee is per car and good for the week, free if you have an annual park pass. The state park has better shower and changing facilities though and a cute shop with a grill and snack shop. The National Park has a small snack shack. Either way, you can't go wrong by going to this beach.

Date of experience: June 2013