“Now rush to leave this little oasis”
Review of The Greek Taverna

The Greek Taverna
Ranked #14 of 139 Restaurants in McLean
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Now rush to leave this little oasis”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Having a late lunch here didn't mean being rushed to eat or leave. Around me tables were engaged in conversation more than eating, so it felt like a welcome European pace of dining. The bread was scattered with diced olives and rosemary and served with seasoned olive oil. The Light Lunch ordered was delivered quickly but not removed until I asked for it to be (unlike many American restaurants). The waiter was efficient but didn't hover. A very pleasant couple of hours.

• Visited September 2013

Georgetown
“Some Outstanding Dishes But Choose Wisely”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Went with some friends to the Greek Taverna. They go often but was my first time here. Was a weekday evening so not very crowded. The restaurant is attractive and the menu has lots to pick from. We decided to share some appetizers and our entrees since there were so many items on the menu that sounded great. There were several specials and the one that I absolutely loved was the chicken with portobello mushrooms. It was one of the best dishes I had ever eaten and I wished that it was not just a special and would be on the menu the next time we go to this restaurant.

For appetizers we tried the fried cheese and the roasted eggplant. Both were delicious and the bread and olive oil on the table are wonderful. We devoured our entire bread basket and they brought us another one. The entrees also come with a nice Greek salad and with rice and vegetables. All were very good. Our other entrees were good but not great. We had the
grilled chicken kabob which was good but the chicken was slightly dry. We also shared a grilled shrimp with tomato dish that had a nice sauce but was not that large. Another entree that was less tasty was the grilled salmon. I usually enjoy salmon but it was quite ordinary and the least favorite of what we ordered.

Our friends also had the chicken lemon soup which they said was wonderful.

All in all, I liked most of the food we ordered and am excited to return to the Greek Taverna sometime. It was slightly expensive for dinner but my friends say that lunch is more reasonable so will definitely try it.

When you are in the mood for Greek food and are in McLean, definitely check out Greek Taverna. It is a very pleasant restaurant and the service was also very good.

The owner came around to make sure everything was good and to find out if we needed anything.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant and am excited to return to try a few other dishes on the menu that sounded great.

• Visited July 2013
Baghdad, Iraq
“Good service and delicious”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Had the mixed grill, which was lamb and chicken and delicious; both marinades had the right amount of lemon. The serving was sufficiently generous and the salad, rice and potato were good. Will go back for more before I leave.

Visited June 2013
DC
“Authentic Mediterranan food”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Greek Taverna is one of my favorites in the neighborhood. Everything seems to be made of fresh produce, the right way, and palatable. Their big secret, it turns out, is the Turkish chef in the kitchen. And, of course, we owe it to the owner, who has so deftly kept and managed this establishment, which has grown over the years into a McLean hallmark.

Visited May 2013
wherever i am
“Just freaking amazing!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I love this place! My parents have been eating here for 10+ years. I had never before had lamb now when I eat here I crave it. Everything I have had is delicious, all the staff is very attentive and welcoming. Looking for great Greek food, go to the Greek taverna.

Visited May 2013