“Wonderful kabobs”
Review of Amoo's Restaurant

Amoo's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 139 Restaurants in McLean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rockville, Maryland
“Wonderful kabobs”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This place isn't that big, but it has a full menu with lots of options. The bread was a standout; it was served warm from the oven, too. We took the leftover bread home, because we couldn't bear to waste it, One thing that I really liked it they took the skewers out in the kitchen so they meat came to the table ready to eat-- no struggle to remove it from the skewer. I don't think they serve alcohol but their carbonated juices are really nice. Only drawback really is the lack of parking; this strip mall is tiny!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank MarylandAnglophile

Vienna, Virginia
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My girlfriend has a coupon for this restaurant. We finally got the enjoy the food after talking about it many a times. I felt the Salad Olivieh was really good. It very much reminded me of how grandma makes it. It's traditionally made with egg, potato, chicken, mayo, pickles, and lemon juice. The presentation lacked a little, but still worth ordering.

As an appetizer the portion was very big! My girlfriend got the jujeh kabob which looked and tasted amazing. I got the soltani which consists of kabob made from steak and ground beef. It was very moist, nicely seasoned, and just melted in your mouth. I also loved the bread and freshly made a spicy sauce that came with it.

Being from iran I've had the real deal when visiting family. I thought the rice was also good because it wasn't very buttery and had a hint of salt. I personally love my rice that way. Obviously, everyone has their own opinion of how food should be prepared.

I was initially worried about the protein being overly dry from adding excessive amounts of saffron. The chef/owner of the restaurant was greeting everyone and overall very pleasant. The stewed tomatoes were also delicious, and portions were enough for me to take it home to eat later.

I would recommend this place to anyone traveling the area. It's a little out of the way but worth the trip.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kevin P
Arlington, Virginia
“A Wonderful Dining Experience from Start to Finish!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

What a great place! My girlfriend and I dined at Amoo's tonight to celebrate our anniversary. Amoo's is a family-owned restaurant, and Sebastian, one of the family members, was our server. Sebastian welcomed us back as soon as we walked through the door. We couldn't believe he would remember us from a prior visit! My girlfriend and I both love lamb, so she ordered lamb chops and I ordered lamb stew in acorn squash. Delicious! Our wonderful meal started with the Kashk-e-Bademjan appetizer which was sauteed eggplant dip, topped with marinated onions and Persian herbs! Delicious! As a matter of fact, EVERYTHING WAS DELICIOUS! And Sebastian and his brother made us feel comfortable, welcomed, and appreciated! What a wonderful dining experience! We will return, again and again! Don't miss this special place! You won't regret it!

1 Thank blufre
Ashton, Maryland
“Great Persian Restaurant”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This place is a gem. This is our second time dining here. I wanted to have lamb and they had many choices. I had the lamb chops with rice & vegetables. I am still thinking about how wonderful they were.
We had an eggplant appetizer with pita that was delicious and of course our Pinoit Grigio wine.
The other entree was acorn squash stuffed with lamb shank, awesome.
This restaurant is family owned and we are treated like family when we are there.

1 Thank hcaplan13
McLean, Virginia, United States
“Eat in or takeout - this is stellar Persian food”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Our family relies on this neighborhood gem almost weekly for superb kabob and, occasionally, for traditional Persion chelow or polow. The kabob meats or chicken are marinated and herbed to perfection and never dried out by the grilling [Not so much the fish kebobs, however] . The long-grained rice is up to the high standard of steamed to the point each grain can be separated from every other grain without a trace of stickiness.
There is much more to love in Persian cuisine and Amoo's offers terrific versions of traditional food highlights. See the 'stews' and 'specialties' sections of the menu: a chelow is a stew over rice; the menu has several typical vegetable and meat, or vegatarian options; we expecially like the "sabsi" with greens and red beans and the eggplant dishes. Ask about specials. The Fesanjan is a Persian delicacy of chicken in a crushed walnut and pomegranate stew. A Favorite of ours. A pilau/polo has the ingredients steamed into the rice and creditable versions of clasic fruit-and-meat dishes are offered. We find them a little on the sweet side, but having 'shirin" or the "albaloo" polo as on of several dishes is rewarding and a good balance with the straightforward kakbab.

1 Thank Meg P