“great sandwhich...mediocre pizza”

Lost Dog Cafe
Ranked #40 of 144 Restaurants in McLean
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Description: The Lost Dog Café has been serving up great pizza, hot sandwiches and beer from around the world in Arlington's Westover neighborhood since 1985. Well known as a place to get great food at a great price, the café also serves up a hefty slice of compassion with each pizza. Café owners Ross Underwood and Pam McAlwee have been rescuing stray dogs and cats almost as long as they have been in business and the effort continues. Since 2001, Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation has saved the lives of over 18,000 dogs and cats, helping them connect with loving families and forever homes. In May 2009, long time employees of the original Westover location, Jim and Mike Barnes, Wes Clough and Michael Danner opened additional locations South Arlington, Virginia in May 2009, Mclean, Virginia in January 2011 and Dunn Loring, Virginia in the summer of 2012. The latest addition to the Lost Dog Café franchise family is Alexandria, Virginia (opened in December 2015), owned and operated by franchise owner Pam McAlwee's cousin Matt Sisk, also a past employee at the original Westover location.
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had the "National" sandwhich and I really enjoyed that..loved the fresh tasting toasted rolls. We ordered the Popeye Pie to take home and it looked beautiful...such a pretty pie...but upon tasting it, it was lacking. Can't quite put my finger on it, but a little bland.
Wish they had plain waffle fries vs the seasoned ones. I loved the decor and the atmostphere and our server (don't remember her name, sorry) was sweet and always smiling! A lovely girl.
I will go back to try another sandwhich but will not get the fries.
p.s. I bought a tshirt I love!

Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Take extra time as u will need to review the menu. The sandwiches are excellent, prices are reasonable, and the staff us friendly.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Incredible sandwich menu. Awesome place to gather after work. Adorable dog themed murals on the walls. They donate a portion of their proceeds to animal rescue.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Do not let the location fool you (in a strip mall next to a salon and Safeway)! Have eaten here about once a week the last couple years and have yet to have a bad meal/service. There are many options (pizza, sandwiches, salads, etc) to choose from and the price is very fair. I highly recommend the pita sandwiches, the el bandido in particular! Usually crowded during lunch (that's always a good sign) but never more than 10-15 minute wait max. The inside is very neat, make sure to check out the dog inspired artwork and murals. Last but not least, the lost dog and cat foundation is a great cause. Go here for lunch or dinner (or for takeout/delivery) and you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My first visit to the restaurant was not a good experience. So I tried again. Still not happy. Great selection of beer and pizza may be great but sandwiches are lacking. I had the Redskin which featured beef bbq and bacon with coleslaw. The bbq was mediocre but the bacon flavor was so strong it overwhelmed everything else. Onion rings were just plain bad. Both times I had them they were burnt. Not understanding how that happened, I asked. They put them through the toaster line to get them piping hot. The result did not lend hot onion rings but dried out, quickly cold, and burnt rings. Server tried to take my plate while I was still eating but I had to ask someone else for the check. Go for the beer but not the food.,

1  Thank Godguy