“Great lunch spot and after work hangout!”
Review of Lost Dog Cafe

Lost Dog Cafe
Ranked #40 of 144 Restaurants in McLean
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Description: The Lost Dog Café has been serving up great pizza, hot sandwiches and beer from around the world in Arlington's Westover neighborhood since 1985. Well known as a place to get great food at a great price, the café also serves up a hefty slice of compassion with each pizza. Café owners Ross Underwood and Pam McAlwee have been rescuing stray dogs and cats almost as long as they have been in business and the effort continues. Since 2001, Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation has saved the lives of over 18,000 dogs and cats, helping them connect with loving families and forever homes. In May 2009, long time employees of the original Westover location, Jim and Mike Barnes, Wes Clough and Michael Danner opened additional locations South Arlington, Virginia in May 2009, Mclean, Virginia in January 2011 and Dunn Loring, Virginia in the summer of 2012. The latest addition to the Lost Dog Café franchise family is Alexandria, Virginia (opened in December 2015), owned and operated by franchise owner Pam McAlwee's cousin Matt Sisk, also a past employee at the original Westover location.
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Incredible sandwich menu. Awesome place to gather after work. Adorable dog themed murals on the walls. They donate a portion of their proceeds to animal rescue.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Do not let the location fool you (in a strip mall next to a salon and Safeway)! Have eaten here about once a week the last couple years and have yet to have a bad meal/service. There are many options (pizza, sandwiches, salads, etc) to choose from and the price is very fair. I highly recommend the pita sandwiches, the el bandido in particular! Usually crowded during lunch (that's always a good sign) but never more than 10-15 minute wait max. The inside is very neat, make sure to check out the dog inspired artwork and murals. Last but not least, the lost dog and cat foundation is a great cause. Go here for lunch or dinner (or for takeout/delivery) and you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My first visit to the restaurant was not a good experience. So I tried again. Still not happy. Great selection of beer and pizza may be great but sandwiches are lacking. I had the Redskin which featured beef bbq and bacon with coleslaw. The bbq was mediocre but the bacon flavor was so strong it overwhelmed everything else. Onion rings were just plain bad. Both times I had them they were burnt. Not understanding how that happened, I asked. They put them through the toaster line to get them piping hot. The result did not lend hot onion rings but dried out, quickly cold, and burnt rings. Server tried to take my plate while I was still eating but I had to ask someone else for the check. Go for the beer but not the food.,

1  Thank Godguy
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was a frequent diner at this restaurant's McLean location. The pizza "was" the best in the area and the wine was cheap $17 for a Malbec. Had I done this review a couple of months ago I would have given it a 5. However, the last three dining experiences have changed my rating.

1) The pizza's have been over cooked and the crust is dry as can be. Also, for $20 they can put some more cheese on and possibly have more fat in the cheese so it does not dry out.

2) they do not have oliva oil so you cannot cure their dryness. For $20 a pizza, you can afford a decent oliva oil.

3) The final straw is when they raised the malbec price from $17 to $29 per bottle. At this price the quality/ value relationship died. I can go to much better italian restaurants with linen table clothes in the area for sligthly more money and get a better quality/value relationship.

I can only hope they take my recommendations and return to the 5 star rating I would have given them.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I visited because we had a restaurant.com certificate. The atmosphere was a fairly typical bistro with a few tables outside and a back room for additional seating or a larger group. The beer selection was one of the largest we have ever seen anywhere, much less a cafe such as this. They had a very large selections of sandwiches and pizza but juuuust in case one doesn't appeal to you, you can make your own. Additionally they have pasta selections and appetizers. I had the Fat Molly sandwich (their menu is online for viewing) and my husband had the Fettucinni Neptune and the seafood in his dish was exceptional. We had great service and the people were welcoming. We will definitely visit again.