“Butt scratching, nose picking bartender”
Review of Lost Dog Cafe

Lost Dog Cafe
Ranked #28 of 148 Restaurants in McLean
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Delivery
Description: The Lost Dog Café has been serving up great pizza, hot sandwiches and beer from around the world in Arlington's Westover neighborhood since 1985. Well known as a place to get great food at a great price, the café also serves up a hefty slice of compassion with each pizza. Café owners Ross Underwood and Pam McAlwee have been rescuing stray dogs and cats almost as long as they have been in business and the effort continues. Since 2001, Lost Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation has saved the lives of over 18,000 dogs and cats, helping them connect with loving families and forever homes. In May 2009, long time employees of the original Westover location, Jim and Mike Barnes, Wes Clough and Michael Danner opened additional locations South Arlington, Virginia in May 2009, Mclean, Virginia in January 2011 and Dunn Loring, Virginia in the summer of 2012. The latest addition to the Lost Dog Café franchise family is Alexandria, Virginia (opened in December 2015), owned and operated by franchise owner Pam McAlwee's cousin Matt Sisk, also a past employee at the original Westover location.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I came in there last Friday after work hoping for a Happy Hour. While they don't offer any specials, they do offer tasteful stemware. The bartender leans over and asks me, while using his thumb and middle finger to spread his nostrils in and out, what I would like to drink. As I wait for the bartender to pour wine in a glass for me, he talks to another customer on the other side of the bar with his back toward me. As they're talking, the bartender digs into his pants (and underwear) and proceeds to scratch his behind with long slow strokes; not worrying about anyone watching. No need to quickly pull away either. He was very comfortable doing that... as if he were at home. When he finally handed my glass, he gave it to me with his thumb on the top rim... where I'm supposed to drink. Disgusting. This place seems to be run by 20-something year olds with little regard to cleanliness.

2  Thank prp421

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I order pickup here on my way to work from time to time, and this place is AWESOME. They have a focus on helping animals, to include adoption events and things. The inside is a nice place to go to just hang out with friends for a beer and a pizza. They have so many vegetarian sandwich options it makes it hard to choose! On top of that, they deliver EVERYTHING on the menu. That includes the beer. We all have days where we don't want to go out or cook. Beer and pizza from Lost Dog delivered to your door is the perfect solution.

1  Thank SarahB0Barah
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We're fans of the Lost Dog on Washington Blvd and are happy to have this location. It's close to work and parking is much easier (shares the shopping center lot). We've eaten here at least a dozen times in the last 18 months. It doesn't have the character of the original location, but the food is basically the same. They have a bar with TVs (seats ~8-12) and a nice beer selection. The wood booths are just as (un)comfortable as the original. There is outdoor seating (~4, 4-tops). Take-away can be hit or miss, depending on who answers the phone so it's a good idea to check your order before leaving.

1  Thank seschneids
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Good -- the food is okay to good. Lots of beers which you can actually buy as you are picking up your food. Pizza is the best menu item. My suggestion, order a pizza to go, pick it up with some great micro-brews and head home. Do not eat in!

The Bad -- disorganized, limited space, not very inviting atmosphere.

The Ugly -- Service, Service, Service!! Took 10 minutes of standing at hostess desk to even be acknowledged then another 5 for a table. Once we were seated, it took another 10 minutes to again even have someone say hi and offer water. In addition, they never gave us a menue of the beers -- and that was suppose to be the big thing. We thought the only beers were the ones on the list that was on the table but come to find out, after the meal, that they have an extensive beer list -- which was never given to us. Took forever to get water, then forever to get beers, then meals came piecemeal. 3 of us got our food but somehow the other 3's order was not ready. The first 3 were done eating before the other 3 meals came. And this wasn't just happening to our table. In fact, two tables, upon arrival of their food, asked for their meals to be boxed up to go because it had taken so long for the order and the food. The servers were rude, didn't know what they were doing, and things were in chaos. Is there any sort of management or order to this place? Don't think so. Management and service needs to go back to Restaurant 101 to learn how to do things.

1  Thank DCAttorney300
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Went to the Lost Dog last night with friends. While they have a huge selection of specialty beer, they do not have any domestic beers such as Sam Adams. Large 16oz. Draught beers. We ordered pizza which was just okay and really overpriced for pizza. Sorry but $20 something for a rather small pizza is way high and it wasn't anywhere near as good as what you get in New York City or even Boston area. The service was pretty slack and getting a refill for beer or soda was a really challenge. They have an outside seating area which is on a parking lot next to a Safeway store without much of a cafe type atmosphere. When we got the check I though $72 for small pizza and a few beers was rather excessive. Of course nobody ever came back to gather the payment so I handed the cash to the waiter who was outside. IF I was a dishonest person (which I am not) we could have had a free meal since I almost had to force the payment on them. Without their prime location next to several apartment complexes, they would not last long. I'd go back, but only for beer since we already had reports of terrible appetizers.