“Restaurant Week” 5 of 5 bubbles

Assaggi Osteria
Ranked #16 of 137 Restaurants in McLean
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Holmes Place
Transit: Bus line 23A or C (direction Langley) from Ballston Metro on the Orange line.
Description: Domenico Cornacchia, chef/proprietor of Assaggi Osteria, taps into ages of ancestral Italian cooking each time he steps into his kitchen and brings a rich love of the cuisine that he so skillfully nurtured through the years. “Assaggi means tastings in Italian,” explains Domenico, “The concept of my menu is based on a variety of items that may be ordered in smaller portions.” Before deciding to pursue his dream of operating his own restaurant, Domenico was corporate executive chef and partner at Café Milano, for more than 15 years. His culinary umbrella also covered Café Milano’s two sister restaurants, Sette Bello in Clarendon, VA., and Sette Osteria in Dupont Circle.  For those who love Italian cuisine, Assaggi Osteria features homemade pasta’s, fresh seafood, veal and scrumptious beef. Assaggi Osteria sources whole fresh fish from worldwide sustainable sources,offering the finest bounty the sea has to offer. Produce is purchased from Amish farms and all desserts are homemade.
McLean, VA
“Restaurant Week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Very good meal and great portion sizes. Carefully put together to keep up the quality--variations on the regular menu to keep costs down. Risotto was unbelievable. Endives salad with frisee, asparagus, almonds and goat cheese was fabulous. Decent wine for the price--this is usually the high cost for eating here.

• Visited August 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We have eaten at this this upscale Italian restaurant several times. The owner is very knowledgeable, and the chef is excellent. Be sure to ask the owner about the particular dishes that day as well as potential wine pairings. I prefer the pastas, all of which are excellent, though veal dishes are identified as a specialty. The cookies for desert are a unique treat.

Visited March 2012
Severna Park, Maryland
“A gem of a find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

If it wasn't for Groupon, I would have never tried this place. And my Groupon was about to expire so, we went out on a Monday evening to eat. I asked if there were any restrictions on the menu and we were explained the restrictions on the fixed price special for Monday. Once we looked at our selections, it was easy to go with the more restricted selections since they were excellent choices. Of course their specials looked excellent also.
My husband had mussels and I had the butter lettuce salad with fresh beets. These both were excellent and were almost enough to call it a meal. The mussels had a delicate tomato garlic sauce that I had to dip some bread in. It was a good thing I loved it as when I ordered my cioppino that was also the base. The cioppino was full of freash seafood - mussels, clams, fish, shrimp and calamari. I loved it. The other dish was hallibut surrounded by clams. Again an excellently prepared dish. Delicate halibut and easy to chew clams - nothing overdone. And then there was dessert - the favorite at our table was the apple and prune cake with a scope of ice cream.We also had a duo of ice cream (chocolate and vanilla) served with a chocolate crust. It was good but nothing compared to the apple and prune cake. I think it would be hard to get me to order anything else for dessert there. The service was good and with our bottle of Italian wine, I was glad I had a groupon. It was a little pricey but not over the top. I can't see getting out of there under about $40 a person; more like $50 a person. We will put this on the list as a favorite place right in the heart of McLean.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Rita of the River
Washington, D.C.
“Delicious Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Really enjoyed our dinner last evening. Excellent service. Decent wine list. Delicious warm yummy bread. Generously portioned salads that were not over-dressed. Nicely sized portions of pasta that were not drowning in sauce. Tasty, rationally-sized desserts good for sharing. We'd go back.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Great Falls, Virginia
“Very Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Our first visit to the Osteria--it will not be our last. The food is very good, and the restaurant has a good ambiance.The luncheon special is a great deal--soup and an entree for $14.00.. The manager, Mr. Francesco Farella, is very attentive, without being pushy..

One caveat, however, if you ask for a glass of house wine, be sure to check the price first. We did not, and it cost us $14.00 a glass. The wine was good, but no house wine should be so costly.

• Visited June 2012