“Be prepared to cook and serve your own food”
Review of Evo Bistro

Evo Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Evo Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 140 Restaurants in McLean
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dolly Madison Blvd
Transit: No Metro accessibility.
Description: Evo Bistro is the place to taste and experience wine, while enjoying fabulous food in a relaxed atmosphere. We offer Mediterranean-style tapas with a vast selection of wines available by the glass or bottle, in addition to a retail wine shop.
Bethesda, Maryland
“Be prepared to cook and serve your own food”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My two friends and I agreed: we have never experienced such sloppy, negligent, dismal service from any other restaurant. My friend, who had invited me, had to go over to the four waiters who were sitting at a table working on papers, and ask to be served. A man took our orders, three tapas for one, a curry chicken for me, and a tuna sandwich for the other friend. After a long time, a woman brought out two dishes. One was a tapas plate, the other an incorrect fried dish, which she took back to the kitchen.
After another interminable wait, a second dish was brought out, oysters, again for the same woman. She was nearly half way through, despite our not having anything to eat, and asking twice where our food was.Finally a man with two dishes appeared, one a tuna salad, which was correct, but the other a chicken sandwich, not a salad. He said, "I think I got this wrong, but do you want to eat this or have me change it?" I think he wanted me to pat him on the back and thank him for presenting me with a new option.
The restaurant has a beautiful wine bar, where one can use a card to order a small amount, med or large of various wines, but not a single person came over to explain this feature.
We ordered dessert, and this, too took so long we had to get up from the table and interrupt the waiters all sitting at their own table.
The service was so outrageously bad, that we thought the true staff had left for the day, and paid a few customers to hang around and help out.
The food is good, and though I wouldn't return, I hope that this was just one horrible, very bad off day and not the norm.

• Visited October 2013

Arlington Heights, Illinois
“Lots of options, lots of sizes!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was surprised with a lovely birthday dinner here by my daughter and her bf; they were nervous about the experience as they had chosen the restaurant based on reviews and not personal experience. I am happy to say that all four of us were favorably impressed! On Thursdays they have half-price bottles of champagne, which was perfect for our celebration. We picked four "starter" plates and four meat/seafood dishes in tapas size (you can also order some of them as entrees for a higher price) and they were certainly adequate for four hungry adults. Patrons should note that even among the tapas, there is quite a dfference in size. For example, the seared scallops meuniere (wonderful!) consisted of only three scallops, difficult to share among four people. On the other hand, the burriata and the lomo saltado were both sizeable dishes with plenty to share. Check wth your server as to relative size if you're sharing among a group. Our server, Katie, was quite good, professional and personable, and suggested a great malbec to drink with the meat dishes. Wine list is extensive and not cheap, but it also doesn't consist of bargain bottles - there are some great wines here that you don't find in most restaurants. Among the starters, the chickpea fritters with cucumber-yogurt sauce and the artichokes were standouts. The only disappointment (while still good) was the butternut squash ravioli--much blander than anticipated. Note that these are not classically Spanish tapas - don't look for tortilla espanola or gambas al ajillo--it is more Mediterranean cuisine served tapas-style. This restaurant can be as pricey you make it - if cost is an issue there are lower-priced items to choose from. We will look forward to going back!

• Visited August 2013
Virginia, USA
“Disappointing for dinner”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Went there planning to spend time chatting and catching up with a couple of college friends (from 30 years ago!) visiting from out of town. Doing this over tapas should have been perfect. Unfortunately, the tapas were quite pricey ($10+ each), meat-heavy, and not so Spaanish, the drinks even more expensive (and stay away if you were planning to drink beer), the place was very noisy that we struggled to hear each other, and they decided to "close a bit early today" (seriously? earlier than 10:00 on a Friday night?).

Anyways, I can't speak for lunch and it seems that, at least as far as price, it's a different experience according to the other reviews. For a typical dinner, i rate it no more than average; there are other options nearby with significantly better settings (a strip mall). But if you're looking for a Spanish evening tapas experience, you'll be very disappointed.

• Visited August 2013
McLean, Virginia
“Love it!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Superb! Great ambience, food, service and excellent bartender and wine selection :) Had my birthday party there 3 years ago and have continued frequenting it since :) never been disappointed. Just absolutely love this place!

• Visited August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great wine, great tapas choices, very hip!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We dined on a Monday and it was surprisingly noisy and busy, perhaps because that's half-price wine bottle night. Service was great, wine was awesome and the tapas we chose were all terrific. I'd love the place even more if it wasn't quite so noisy.

• Visited June 2013