“Little plates produce huge satisfaction”
Review of Evo Bistro

Evo Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Evo Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 140 Restaurants in McLean
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dolly Madison Blvd
Transit: No Metro accessibility.
Description: Evo Bistro is the place to taste and experience wine, while enjoying fabulous food in a relaxed atmosphere. We offer Mediterranean-style tapas with a vast selection of wines available by the glass or bottle, in addition to a retail wine shop.
McLean, Virginia
“Little plates produce huge satisfaction”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

ever changing menu; best to go with 2 or 3 couple so you can share lots of plates; wine selection is fantastic but watch yourself, its easy to buy a few expensive 1/4 glasses and run up your tab. Good service!

Visited December 2012

Boca Raton, Florida
“Interesting flavors”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

A few years ago Evo was packed into a small space and it made dining a bit difficult. Today, they have expanded into an adjoining space and the extra room really helps. Some unique menu items make this an interesting place to eat. Wine can be a bit pricey for my wallet, and if you are only dining for two, the tapas plates have more food on them then I want - I'd rather have 3 or 4 dishes to try but for 2 - that's way to much food.

Food good, service good. Worth a try.

• Visited December 2012
Potomac MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mixed Results for dinner”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We love tapas and frequent several establishments in the DC area. The whole small plates and sharing dishes is one of our favorite ways to eat. We had just returned from a vacation to Spain so we were looking forward to tapas.

Evo has a mix of small plates and regular size orders. The selection of foods was ok but odd - chicken piccata over saffron rice didn't sound like Spanish tapas but a strange mix of Italian and Middle Eastern. Anyway it their menu so we just selected what sounded good to us. We ordered the ensalada which was tasty but a small portion. It was $9 apiece for the salad so it was not tapa-size. I have a problem with a place that skimps on lettuce. The salad had a small but good pistachio crusted goat cheese, three or four cut cherry tomatoes and about 4 bites of lettuce. Really? For $9? Skimping on lettuce.

My husband ordered the grouper which he said was good so 4 stars for that. I ordered the shrimp and grits. It was a cold night so I was looking for a small but still stick-to-your-ribs meal. Now this was a smaller size I guess - for $12 - but what they brought was 5 shrimp on a smear of grits. Again - for the price it was a nice portion of shrimp but the purpose was to taste shrimp and grits. I asked for more grits thinking there was a mistake and they brought me a bowl with a dollop of grits in the bottom. Again - skimping on the lower cost item and disrupting the dish and the meal. I frequently make/order shrimp and grits and there are many versions. I did not enjoy the flavor of theirs. Too sweet when I was expecting more savory (because of the chorizo). It was an odd mix of flavors. What there was of the grits was chalky and flavorless.

My husband and I eat out a lot. We have a certain expectation for the restaurants we go to. Decent food, appropriate portions, good service. Our service was a 3/4, my husband's meal was a 3/4, my meal was a 2. Overall there are better places to eat in McLean and certainly much, much better tapas places in DC.

• Visited November 2012
Vienna, Virginia
“Wine? Yes. Lamb sliders? YES!!!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Sure, there is much good wine to be sipped here, either by the taste with the fun to use dispensers, or by the glass or bottle from an informative wine menu. But the real surprise and delight for this Saturday night date with my husband was the food. Based on other reviews, I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but everything we ordered was tasty and sizable enough to add up to a satisfying meal. We had the fried calamari with three sauces - delicious. We had the breaded portobello stuffed with goat cheese - quite nice although short on the cheese. Then the best of all - lamb burger sliders served with a spicy sauce that put these over the top. We also had a strawberry-rhubarb crumble for dessert that was the perfect end note for our evening. Service was friendly and fast This is a casual neighborhood type place to which I definitely plan to return.

• Visited August 2012
Freedom, Pennsylvania
“Delightful little spot, great wines”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We've heard about EVO from friends so we decided to give it a go during a visit to DC.
It was restaurant week and that made the visit even better. Great selections of wines not only by the bottle but self-serve by the ounce, three ounce or full pour from an ingenious machine from Italy which keeps the wines in the best condition. Inventive tapas type menu of small plates. Excellent service from a very friendly staff.

• Visited August 2012