“Disliked the Rustic Inn--Renovations need renovations”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Rustic Inn

Rustic Inn
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Moab
“Disliked the Rustic Inn--Renovations need renovations”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

After reading what sounded to be very favorable reviews for the Rustic Inn in TripAdvisor, we cancelled our reservations for La Quinta Inn and booked a three night stay at the Rustic Inn. We should have known wnen we saw only a few letters of the Rustic Inn sign illuminated that we were in for trouble. We stayed in one of the "renovated rooms." The room is a dingy tan color with a tiled ceiling that already has broken tiles. The old bathroom door had a badly splintered/cracked bottom with hinges that definitely weren't new. The toilet seat also was damaged. Don't expect a bathroom sink. There is a stainless steel sink where one washes, shaves, and brushes teeth--and I guess if you eat any of your meals--prepare food. There is no mirror above the sink--trouble if your shaving. Expect to unplug the microwave or coffee maker so that you can plug in a hair dryer. I take the blame for booking this---one gets what one pays for. Checked out the following morning and got a no hassle refund. Checked into Canyonlands Best Western and felt like I was in a Ritz Carlson by comparison.

• Liked — Close to Main Street
  • Disliked — Dingy depressing room still in need of renovations.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank jim3751

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2008

I travel for work and therefore practically live in hotels during the summer. I've never taken the time to write a review for any of the 100's of hotels that I have stayed in. I travel with a working crew of at least 25 men and women. Our crew starts their days early and quit late. Our schedules change frequently and are difficult to predict. I am writing this review for the Rustic Inn because I have never had a hotel go out of their way to make my life so easy. We happened to be staying in Moab during it's busiest time of year and did not know we would be in Moab until 3 weeks before going there. Trying to find ANY rooms was extremely difficult. I was considering staying 60 miles away from Moab when I called the Rustic Inn. They took the time to find me and my crew rooms and not all of them were at the Rustic Inn. After finding rooms for all of us they supported me with a complete hotel schedule for the entire crew. Even when we had to change the schedule time and time again, they would update everyone on the changes for me. In the two months that we stayed there nobody ever went with out their own comfortable bed or a warm breakfast in the morning. The rooms were always clean and the service was excellent. The location of the Rustic Inn was also perfect for my crew because it was just off the beaten path. Located one block off the main drag where we could get plenty of peace and quiet at night, but still close to shops and dinning.

• Liked — The staff and their willingness to help us with our accommodations
  • Disliked — The Wi-Fi signal was a little weak in some rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank shinxjr
Bristol, Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

After reading reviews of the Rustic Inn on Tripadvisor, we cancelled our reservation at the Moab Super 8 and booked here instead for two nights. What a mistake that was! We checked out after one night because the service was so bad.

First of all, when I booked the reservation, the woman was VERY friendly and offered me prices for a renovated and non-renovated room. At first we decided to book the renovated room for $74.50 instead of the non-renovated for $44.50 (these prices are approximate). About an hour later we decided to go for an non-renovated room to save the money, but found out that they were sold out. She then offered to change our price on the renovated room from $74.50 to $59.00, which made us happy. I also asked for a ground floor room because my mother has trouble with stairs.

Of course when we finally checked in a few days later the $59.00 rate was nowhere to be found, and the man at the front desk was so rude to us when we asked him why our rate had gone up. He told us if we wanted a cheaper motel that we could leave. We said no, we wanted to stay there because of the reviews, but wanted the corrected rate. He kept saying that we could leave. We had been driving all day from Salt Lake City and were tired so decided to go with the higher room rate. And we were given a 2nd floor room, after I had request ground floor for my mother. He never apologized for any of the mistakes that were made on our reservation.

While the room was nice, the service continued to dissapoint us and made out stay unpleasant. I called the front desk to find out if toll free numbers were free. He said, in a very rude and short manner, "sure" -- what does that mean? Maybe I was just being sensitive? I was longing for the Super 8 Motel at this point!

Now about what this hotel is like physically. It is about a block or so off Main Street, so it's right downtown and within walking distance of most everything. But the hotel (or should I say motel) is built around a dingy parking lot with only one small entrance to the street. The Moab area is beautiful, but the look of this hotel makes it feel like a dingy rent-by-the-hour big city motor court.

I am dumbfounded as to why this hotel has received a # 3 rating on Tripadvisor.com, after the Sorrell River Ranch and Red Cliffs Lodge?? This hotel is NOWHERE near the caliber of either of these hotels, and whoever has been rating it so high does not care about friendly service.

I will avoid the Rustic Inn the next time I travel to Moab.

• Liked — The room was clean with a full sized fridge
  • Disliked — The rude man at the front desk!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank jbuker
Chattanooga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2008

Great Stay. Room was better than expected for the price ($75). Clean room with microwave, full size fridge and coffemaker. Walking distance to anything and within riding ditance to slickrock trail. Would definantly stay here again.

• Liked — quite, comfortable,convenient,cheap
  • Disliked — cold pool
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

I was looking for a comfortable, basic place to crash in Moab and the Rustic certainly delivered. The rate was about half what some of the bigger chain hotels were charging and it is a short walk to Main Street and all the restaurants and bike shops.

The room (#110) was comfortable, but soundproofing was virtually non-existent - I could hear the guy next door boot up his laptop and then talk on the cell as though he was in the room with me. I was also awakened by the office phone through the door on the other side.

The folks at reception were friendly and helpful. All in all, it was a good base for a day or two in Moab... If I was staying longer, I would probably spend a bit more and go with a bigger hotel.

• Liked — Price, location
  • Disliked — Lack of soundproofing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Payson, AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

The staff was very helpful & curtious, not only to us but to others waiting to be helped. The room was very clean & well kept even though it had not been remodeled yet. Other rooms were being remodeled at the present. We found it to be the best value in Moab. We recommend the Rustic Inn and would stay again the next time we are in Moab.

• Liked — Location, service, clean, & price
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

Stayed at the Rustic Inn for three nights. The housekeeping was excellent. Great location one block off Main St. The staff was very freindly and knowlegable of the area. The price was very reasonable . Would stay again.

• Liked — price,location and freindly staff.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple