“This place stank - literally”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moab
Kokopelli Lodge & Suites
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The place looked cute online. The price was right. When we arrived, we turned on the fan and it The place looked cute online. The price was right. When we arrived, all the windows were open. We didn’t think anything of it. We turned on the fan and closed all the windows. it stank to high heaven. While it was possible to breath, it was noxious. I called the emergency number and I was told they could do nothing about it and they had no extra rooms. We had to go pay money for another hotel room - that this is inexcusable. So, with we left to get another room at another hotel that night.

When I called them about the situation, they said they would pay back two of the three nights and not the first. I told them that we were there only about 10 minutes (which is true) and the stink. Apparently the next day they could not confirm it so they all but called me a liar (they never said those words to me, but hinted towards that) as they checked it out and found nothing. Because they found nothing, they could not refund me anything for the night’s stay. I’ve stayed in a great number of places, I’ve never seen this kind of despicable customer service.

I will be going to the attorney general and the Better Business Bureau as this is piss poor customer service. They didn’t care when I mentioned this. Of course my credit card agreed with me and will take care of everything (including refunding my money). If they had not been so awful in the customer service department and treated me with a modicum of respect, I would not have written this post. It begs all logic.

Normally I would not rag on other issues, but since they had such awful customer service, I think it is important to point out some of the other flaws with the place.

1. The vent, aside from stinking, didn’t even have a grate to catch anything.
2. The front door lock was quirky although it did function.
3. There was no curtain for one of the windows. To be fare, light could get through, but it is not clear.
4. The bathroom door was the strangest indoor door I have ever seen. It looks like it was originally for a closet.
5. The bathroom was far from clean.
6. The parking is very narrow in the facility.

If you do not mind these kinds of issues, this is the place for you! Personally, I would not recommend this place.

Room Tip: I do not have enough experience here to comment. One room was bad enough.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
moabmotelier, Owner at Kokopelli Lodge & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

We are sorry for your bad experience. As you can see from the many Trip Advisor reviews, we are known for our customer service and cleanliness. I would like to point out a few discrepancies in your review and our customer logs. First, all of your money WAS refunded after you spoke with the general manager who is the one who deals with customer complaints. You made 3 different complaints: 1) late on the night you arrived you called to say a skunk had sprayed in the neighborhood and the smell was awful and could you have another room. Unfortunately, it was Labor Day weekend and we had no other rooms to offer. Skunks are completely beyond our control and the smell does pass. 2) The next morning you complained (loudly) to the staff that a foul smell had been coming from the cooling duct in the ceiling and there was no way to shut the duct. We had our handyman check the cooling in the morning and found nothing awry and have had no complaints before or since your stay in that room. 3) in speaking with the general manager, you reported that the air coming from the vents in the floor was the culprit. We have no vents in the floor. 4)Your money was refunded, you never had to involve the credit card company.
I am truly sorry you were so dissatisfied and that we were unable to produce another room for you on a holiday weekend. This said, I fully stand behind my staff and their response to the situation. Fortunately, the vast majority of guests find our accommodations a great value for a pleasant stay and have consistently kept us in the top 10 lodging establishments in Moab.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had been on the road all day from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and it was a wonderful site to see the Kokopelli Lodge when we pulled up. Very easy check in. Simple, clean and cozy. No frills and it does not need it. Loved our stay and wish we had more than one night. 100% would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so glad to have been "a wonderful sight" at the end of your long day! And happier still that we fulfilled your needs - we appreciate the compliment and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed in the Lodges--the efficiency units--while hiking Arches, Canyonlands, etc. It was nice to come home to after a long day at the sites. We had a full kitchen where we made breakfast & dinner each day, and didn't have to battle the tourists on Main St. The lodges were close enough to town, yet far enough away for my taste--more or less a string of attached apartments in a residential part of town.

1  Thank Bill R
moabmotelier, Owner at Kokopelli Lodge & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Kokopelli Suites. Having a full kitchen and a living room is a nice bonus when you are staying for a few days as eating out every meal gets expensive! The cost of our Suites is less than most motel rooms in Moab and we are glad you appreciated the value and convenience. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We loved the modern décor of this room which was quite unexpected, especially the little green fridge and chairs. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were clean and well equipped - although Wi-Fi would have been nice!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our colorful and functional rooms! We do offer free wi-fi at all of our properties and I'm sorry you weren't told about it at check-in. The login information is posted in every room, but obviously that was not made clear to you and for that I apologize. We hope you will visit again sometime.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The price appears to be one of the best in Moab. It is very convenient to the central part of Main Street - easy walk to many restaurants. The down side was the tiny bathroom, the sink being in the bedroom and no service if you are staying two nights. There are plenty of towels but I had to go hunt for more coffee. The decor is very homey - not your standard motel colors. We felt like we were in a girls dorm room which was pretty amusing. The aircondtioning might have been noisy as some reviewers mentioned but with heat in August I didn't notice it as I appreciated the cool room. I would stay there again as the price is right!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Kokopelli Lodge. We are glad you appreciated the value we offer and wish our service had been what it should have been. We grow from all types of feedback, so appreciate guest comments that allow us the opportunity to improve. Restocking coffee IS a daily service, and I apologize for that not happening. We will do better next time!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

When we first saw this place we were skeptical. However, after the laughter died down we realized in was not so bad after all. It is an old building with renovated rooms. A bit small, but all we needed. It is the cleanest place we have ever stayed at. Easy walk to the main street. The people were very nice. I like that this place is into recycling. There are only two problems - the shower is a bit too small and the air conditioner was way too loud.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carol H

We are glad to have earned your great review! We pride ourselves on being a clean, comfortable, and reasonably priced lodging establishment and are always glad to hear that we have accomplished that goal. Yes, the showers are a bit small - they had a slightly different concept of space requirements when the place was built in 1950! We hope to see you again should you visit Moab in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

A great mom and pop lodge! The decor is awesome, retro southwestern. Room was a little small but they make it all work with a great layout. Loved everything about the place except the air conditioner was a little too loud.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gina503

We love our guests! Thanks for the great review - we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Yes, the A/C units can be a bit loud, but they are new, energy efficient models and they do a great job, even in our super hot weather. The good news is that the HOT season is almost over, so come back and enjoy our fall, winter, or spring and you won't need to use the A/C! Hope to see you again soon.