“perfect for my needs”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moab
Kokopelli Lodge & Suites
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersGold level
Ridgecrest, California
“perfect for my needs”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was most reasonably priced and I loved the colors ...doors now a bright purple and the color motif was also inside the room with purple and lime green. My favorite thing was the ability to open the window and have fresh air instead of canned air at nighttime, although they have heat and AC if you want it. Just a block above Main St. I could walk anywhere I wanted, from shops, museums to the local grocery store a few blocks south that had an excellent choice of food, but then, there's fabulous dining right around the corner as well. The staff was friendly and helpful and worked with me as my schedule changed a few times. I'd stay here again and recommend it to others. I can't think of any negative points, It was centrally located. Perfect.

Green Features: Great E practices.... read about them. Wish more would do this.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julie R
moabmotelier, Owner at Kokopelli Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We love to be perfect in our guest's eyes! Thank you for the kind words and great review, we enjoyed your company and look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Overall good stay at Kokopelli lodge.
Positive points: the lady who welcomed us at night was extremely friendly(not the case of the one we met when we left..), well situated, right behind the main street, at a walking distance to shops and restaurants. Half an hour away from Arches National Park.
Negative points: no breakfast (but we found an awesome place 'Peace Tree café' on Main st), the spa is outside (and it was pretty chilly when we were there), the bathroom is tiny and the AC is not isolated from outside (we heard water dropping on it all night long..).
Last thing, as Moab IS mostly expensive for lodging, I think Kokopelli is pretty good, but still it is VERY expensive for what it was compared to other hotels we have been to in different touristic places..

Room Tip: To save money, it might be better to find a lodging in Green River but then you have an hour drive t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank marjorie z
moabmotelier, Owner at Kokopelli Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Kokopelli Lodge and appreciate the feedback you left. While there is nothing we can do about the size of the bathrooms (the motel was built in the 1950's to accommodate the then booming mining industry, and there was a somewhat different concept of space requirements than what we now have), we were able to check the A/C unit and discovered a blocked drain, so thank you for bringing that to our attention. Moab is an expensive destination and we work hard to keep our prices lower than almost anywhere else in town. Another option to staying in Green River is to come during our mid or low season. The winter in Moab is fantastic and offers a wonderful experience at half the cost for lodging. We keep all of our properties open all winter due to demand of many loyal winter visitors. Try it if you have a chance!
Greenville, SC
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My adult cousin, cousin-in-law, husband, and I stayed two days in Suite 1, a two-room suite, at Kokopelli Suites. The location of Kokopelli Suites is just moments from the entry of Arches National Park. The suite included a small living room (with a comfortable 3-person couch), small dining area (small 4-person table), nice-sized kitchen with oven/stove combination and microwave, two good-sized bedrooms (with very comfortable beds, pillows, and linens), and two bathrooms. the decor is quaint and cheerful. A propane grill is on the property, along with a small hot tub.

Swamp cooler:
The suite uses a swamp cooler for cooling (for readers who have never used a swamp cooler: it's not the same as a "forced air conditioner."). The day temperature reached a high of 85 degrees, but the swamp cooler was able to keep the majority of the home cool. The exception was the back bedroom, which did stay warm throughout the visit. It seems the swamp cooler is unable to cool that back room effectively. The swamp cooler did, however, keep the master bedroom VERY cool. When running on high, the swamp cooler is loud in that room, so be aware of that if you're a light sleeper. My husband likened the swamp cooler's sound in that room to a "diesel engine."

Kitchen:
The kitchen was a great size, and included pots, pans, silverware, cookware, dish towels, dish washing liquid, drain dish, refrigerator, stove/oven combo, and microwave. It did NOT include a can opener. The oven takes a bit of time to warm and also runs about 25 - 50 degrees hot. The second morning we were there, I started warming the oven before my shower, so it was perfect for me to start cooking biscuits at a setting of 400 degrees (biscuits called for cooking at 450, but note the previous sentence regarding oven running a bit hot).

Living room:
Couch slept GREAT. I wanted to take it home for my own house. :) Keep in mind, though, that this is the only comfortable seating in the living room. The living room is too small to support additional living room style seating. Part of the family used the dining room chairs for additional seating.

Hot tub:
Great hot tub, the chlorine in it is horribly high. Here's what we learned to do: take out the chlorine tab floaters. THEN, turn on the hot tub. Let it warm. Then settle in. Even then, the chlorine stayed high, but at least it wasn't as bad as the first night.

Propane grill:
Grill was large, clean, and in great working order.

Summary of tips:
Bring a can opener if you plan to cook, a fan for the back bedroom (which tended to stay warm), reduce the cook temperature of the oven by 25 - 50 degrees, plan for a long warming time for the oven, know that the dish-washing soap they offer is AWFUL, bring your own soap, shampoo, and conditioner (they use a single soap for shampoo and body wash), remove the chlorine tabs from the hot tub before washing (but still expect a too-chlorinated hot tub).

Room Tip: Suite 1 was on the corner furthest from the hot tub and propane grill.
Green Features: A recycling bin was located in the kitchen area to collect the standard plastic bottles, cans, etc.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Meadlei
Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the time you took to comment on some areas where we can improve. Thanks to your comment, we have replaced the missing can opener that should have been in the kitchen. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about the chlorine smell in the hot tub. We actually don't use chlorine, but the much less caustic spa cleaner - bromine. While bromine does have an odor, it is far kinder to your skin, fabrics, and the environment than chlorine. The Health Department has rigorous standards and check the spas and pools in the area frequently and there is a very narrow range we must fall inside of to keep the spa open. Our certified spa tech checks all our spas daily to assure that sanitary conditions are maintained for all guest's safety. While the smell might be apparent, you can rest assured that our spas are safe and clean. We hope to see you again sometime!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Clean, simple, great location. Staff is very friendly, perfect for sleeping and getting out during the day for adventure. Reasonable rates and fun ikea-esque decor. Have stayed twice and would return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
moabmotelier, Owner at Kokopelli Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
We love our repeat guests! Thank you for sharing your vacations with us. We look forward to seeing you next time.
Tooele, Utah
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I can't comment on the stay because I didn't stay there. I called to book a room because the website said I needed to call it showed the rooms available on every night except my first night. I spoke with a lady on the phone and she said she was booked that night and the room wasn't available until the 14th. I told her I needed to talk to my husband and see if he would be alright with going down on Friday. She then told me they had the suite available for $400 and something dollars for the weekend for the days that I wanted. I asked her if they did any type of military discount and her reply was no we don't mark up just so we can mark down. (didn't know companies regularly marked prices up just so they could mark them down for the few of us that are military) I said okay well let me talk to my husband and see what he says we might change our dates and come down friday. Then she says well we don't have any rooms available on Saturday night. My first thought was then why are you trying to get me to book a suite for the whole weekend. Then why is your website saying rooms are available and I can reserve them for friday and saturday. Then I came to the conclusion that because I asked for a military discount she decided she did not want to accomodate me and my husband. Hmmm...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so sorry we could not accommodate your needs for this trip. Our Lodge is a small property with only 9 rooms, and since we are frequently sold out (as you noticed when trying to book online), we offer our other properties as options when we cannot fulfill guest requests at the Lodge. In this case, we had a Suite available for the 3 days you wanted, so it was offered for your consideration. The Suites each have a full kitchen, living room, dining area, private patio, and fenced yard. Therefore, they are higher priced than a regular Lodge (motel) room. There was certainly no benefit to us in denying your request if we had had rooms available at the Lodge. Regarding our discount policy, motels/hotels have what is called a rack rate that is the highest rate for the room. They then discount from that rate. We choose to simply offer the lowest rate we can to ALL guests regardless of their affiliation. You probably noticed that our rates are very low compared to other Moab room rates - in fact, our Suites are about the price of most standard rooms in town. We would like to have the opportunity to earn your business should your travels bring you to Moab again.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Not only was the room charming, quiet & clean, but the staff did us a great service. When we left we had misplaced a set of keys. Kokopelli both called and e-mailed us to report that they had found them. The keys were mailed and received today - a day after we arranged to have them returned. We were relieved and grateful. Wouldn't stay anyplace else in Moab.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Kokopelli Lodgings. We have the BEST staff in town and they are always willing to go the extra mile for our guests. I will be sure they are aware of your kind words. Please think of us again when next your travels bring you to Moab.
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just spent one night here but it was a great place to stay. It was quiet, clean and I loved the artsy, funky decor. I agree that the shower was a bit small but it worked and that's all we need in a shower. One suggestion for our room(don't know if other rooms have the same issue) would be to put some sort of recessed door pull on the sliding door to the bathroom. It was hard to close from inside the bathroom. Oh..and our refrigerator was cool but not cold. Other than that, it's a great and quiet place and I'd definitely go back...maybe take the dog next time too!

1 Thank Kayteenm
moabmotelier, Owner at Kokopelli Lodge & Suites, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thanks for your comments and feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you (and maybe your dog) again soon. The bathroom doors at the Lodge were recently replaced, and we have been a bit behind in getting the door hardware installed - so sorry for the inconvenience. Your reminder has spurred us on, and the pulls and handles will be installed this week! The refrigerator you had is an experiment - as a green lodging property, we are trying a line that uses no harmful gasses for cooling. The jury is still out, so your feedback is valuable to our ultimate decision. See you next time!