“Good location, great staff, clean large rooms.”

Best Western Plus Canyonlands Inn
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 15, 2010

The entry is beautiful. The Front Desk staff greeted us immediately. Very friendly and very informative. We stayed at Moab as it had a central location. The staff was able to tell us how long it would take us to get to different areas around Moab. They steered us right on places to eat in Moab. The staff went out of their way when I was not feeling good and got me milk from the kitchen, which was closed, instead of making us go and find a place to purchase it at 10:00 pm
The rooms are nice size. the beds are comfortable and the sink was outside of the bathroom itself. So nice..every hotel should have this!

The coffee and cookies that were put out each nite around 7:00 pm are a nice touch. These are the little things that make the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. We stayed at other Best Westerns during our vacation and none of them had anything special like this. The hot breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)

Reviewed September 15, 2010

Motel is located on the main street and I thought it would be noisy, but it was fine. The other side of the location - many restaurants are within walking distance. The staff was very friendly and helpful, with recommendations for places to eat. Based on a quick review of other motels in town, the price was not inexpensive, but reasonable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I reserved a room at this motel somewhat reluctantly as other more highly rated motels were full. But I was very pleasantly surprised as the location was ideal, the room large, and it seemed clean and newly redecorated. The location in the center of town can't be beat and allowed me to park the car and walk anywhere I needed after touring the parks during the day. The room was large and clean, with good amenities including a large empty fridge/freezer. The outdoor pool was empty each time I was in the lobby. My only complaint was the standard cheap continental breakfast, and the unwelcoming attitude of the night desk clerk when I checked in. But those are small points in an otherwise excellent stay.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2010

I wrote a review of this place when I was there in August 2009. I came back in August 2010 and there was a slightly different experience. The difference was that in 2009, I had a second floor room and in 2010, I had a first floor room. And the difference was pretty major in terms of noise level. In 2009, I had a perfectly quiet and restful sleep in the two nights I was there. In 2010, it wasn't so peaceful nor had a restful sleep during my two nights there. Luckily for me, the people above me went to bed early but while they were awake, you can clearly heard them. On the first floor, there seem to be a lot of traffic noise along the hallway, even late at night.

It seem that there were more people here in 2010 then in 2009 since the dining area for the free breakfast appears to be overwhelmingly crowded and crammed. That kind of discourage people like me to skip this experience of eating with the hordes and seek solitude out in the desert.

I also had a chance to use their laundry facilities and it proves to be quite excellent. I had no problems with the staff who I thought were polite and professional toward me. But it hard to recommend this place unless you got a second floor room because the noise level on the first floor does not make it good as experience as the second. And you are paying the same rate but getting less for it on the first floor.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank SirHoot
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Good value considering the well sized rooms and central location. Well maintained and good breakfast. Construction work continues on the cafe next door but it did not bother us. To avoid the odd dip in the lower half of the hotel ask for a room in the part nearest the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed August 30, 2010

It was a good hotel, not spectacular, but good. The room was in good shape, looking like it had been refurbed recently. The best part is what that it was quite big. The bigger the better when it comes to hotel rooms for us ( we have a lot of luggage). That's where the weird layout proved to be a problem. The hotel is on a slope and the hallway floor is split-level,. So you bring your luggage up on a luggage cart , get off the elevator where we were confronted by four or five steps down to where our room was and you have to unload the luggage and bring it down by hand. If you have a couple of bags and they are light, no problem, but if you have lots of big, heavy bags, this is very aggravating. On the other hand, they put out very good chocolate chip cookies in the evening and they have a very generous 4 washer/dryer laundry. which comes in very handy on long trips.

Would I go back? Yes, if they have a room where I wouldn't have to do the luggage shuffle, it's perfectly fine, albeit a trifle expensive.

You obviously go to Moab for Canyonlands and Arches National Parks, which are great. You should also take a flight above Canyonlands. The hotel recommended Redtail Aviation, because we wanted a very early morning flight and she said they might be able to accommodate us. I spoke to Nick and boy was he accommodating. He agreed to a 6:30 AM flight and over a series of several conversations over several months, he was always friendly. He was just as friendly during the flight and gave us a fabulous ride and commentary. Scenic flights are never cheap, but this one was worth every penny. It was so good, in fact, that if we came back to the Moab area, I would seriously consider taking the very same flight with him, again. Considering how cheap I am, that is a serious compliment.

There are 4 other things I would recommend. First, go see Dead Horse State Park. The views are incredible, perhaps better than Canyonlands, itself. If you go to the bother of going to this part of the world and you skip this, you are cheating yourself, big time. Second, if you going back towards Colorado, go to the Colorado National Monument. It is scary as hell as hell to drive, particularly when you are dead tired like we were, but there are some stunning views on this drive, that I wish we had more time to stop and appreciate. I doubt this is a well-known place.It was just a fluke I found it when researching my route. But it is one of those unexpected gems, that make a special trip, extra special. Better known, but still not on a par recognition-wise with the stars of the National Park system is Capitol Reef. If you are driving from Bryce Canyon National Park to Canyonlands/Arches, definitely go through this park, as the road goes straight through it, west to east. Even if you take the little road that goes in the canyon, the whole affair should add perhaps a couple of hours to your trip. it's a very pretty and interesting little park, well worth the effort. And here's the best part, go from Bryce to Capitol Reef via Route 12, one of the 2-3 most scenic roads in America and hands down the scariest I have ever been on. This is definitely not for the faint hearted. There is a section of road that is a very narrow 2-lane drive of sheer terror, as there is absolutely no shoulder and the drop is probably a few thousand feet down. I drove this as the sun was going down, dead tired from a long day's driving and as I went through this section, every 2 seconds I kept uttering "oh my God". My suggestion, don't do this when you are dead tired and don't go fast. There is no margin for error whatsoever. Nonetheless, this road should not be missed. Also, the road from Moab to the Colorado National Monument, I believe it's 128, is also very, very scenic, although it pales compared to 12. Stop at the Sorrel River Ranch and look around. This is one of the most striking locations for a hotel,ever. It's extremely pricey, but someday we may get a cabin there for a few days and just sit out on the porch and look at the Colorado River, which runs through maybe 20 feet from the cabin.

If you go to Bryce, then take 12 to Capitol Reef, then see Canyonalnds/Arches, go up 128 and drive through Colorado National Monument as we did, you will have one of the best trips of your life, with endless stunning vistas of a variety that are miracles of nature.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JJJC_Family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Located in downtown Moab, UT. Several restaurants within easy walking distance, including ice cream parlor right across the street. Visitor Center nearby with information on attractions. Try to book at this property...we watched a tour bus pull into the other Best Western downtown! Rooms spacious and clean. Spa in pool area felt good after a long day of travel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple