“A good hotel for a short stay in Moab”

Best Western Plus Canyonlands Inn
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin
“A good hotel for a short stay in Moab”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a nice and very pleasant hotel. We enjoyed a two nights stay in February.
Everything was so good, staff was very helpful and friendly, the room was very clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good.
If I would have to mention something negative about it, this would be that taking the lift to get to the second floor with your heavy suitcases will need you to having to climb down about 6 steps. This was actually worse having to go up these steps to catch the lift down. The front desk offered to help if needed. Not sure why there was a room tax as well as a sales tax on the final bill? When asked the front desk, I was told it is something to do with the way their system breaks up the tax.

• Stayed February 2013
MoabHotelier, Manager at Best Western Plus Canyonlands Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I am sorry that our front desk employee was unable to answer your question regarding the tax on the room. The sales tax is the tax that you pay on any purchase. The state and local governments collect an additional transient room tax on all nightly lodging. I hope that you will visit again soon.

Cheryl Covey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Headed to Moab after our visit to Monument Valley ready to visit Arches and Canyonlands. We had checked out available accommodations and their reviews and decided this looked to be the most appealing. We were not wrong in our selection.

This hotel and the room we had was fabulous. It was large, modern, clean and very comfortable. I only have one nitpick and that is about the lighting in the room - lots of lights on walls and other areas but even with them all on the centre of the room was still quite dark. Apart from the lighting issue all other aspects of the room had been well thought out and was practical and functional. The complimentary breakfast was one of the best ones we have come across and there was somebody on hand to top items up as they were running low. Considering the price of the room the breakfast was excellent value.

The hotel has a good location in Moab, central to all amenities (however most were closed for the season in early December) and well located to explore both Arches and Canyonlands.

We have stayed in quite a few Best Westerns over the years and we reckon this is the best one so far. We have no qualms in recommending this hotel as a place to stay when in this area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MoabHotelier, Manager at Best Western Plus Canyonlands Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive detailed review of your recent stay. I am so happy to hear that you satisfied with all aspects of your stay. I hope that you will return soon.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our room was very clean. Beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. Nice breakfast included to get your day started. Convenient to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Location is great...middle of town...within walking distance of our favorite restaurant, Zax. Their pizza buffet is AWESOME!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. As you mentioned; our central location is quite convenient for walking to gift shops and restaurants in down town Moab. Zax is one of our favorites as well. I hope that you will visit again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is located directly in the middle of Moab, across the road from Eddie McStiff's brew pub and right next to the Peace Tree Cafe (two of my favourite restaurants.) It also has a back entrance so that you can avoid the main street when town is busy. Besides the location, the hotel's staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room and the breakfast itself are really very nice. Don't forget to bring a dollar or two to tip the attendant - I always seem to have either no cash or big bills and they do such a good job that I feel bad every time. In summer the hotel books up fast and can be really pricey so if I'm here for leisure, I will camp up at Arches National Park or go to the Canyon River Lodge.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank FARRAH E
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am happy to hear that you found our central location most helpful. I hope that you will visit again soon.

Palo Alto, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,189 helpful votes
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed one night here in the VERY off season (first week of January) - High temp for the day was in single digits. got a King room on the first floor. The room was quite large and comfy. Good size desk, couch, coffee table, good size TV, fridge, Coffee Maker. But no Microwave. The bathroom was adquate size and pretty typical for price range. Bed was very good. I am always please to find a wall mount digital thermostat with fan controls which I found here.

I arrived in evening and they had some very good home baked cookies in the lobby which were yummy - especially after I gave them a 15 second blast in the lobby microwave. Really hit the spot after along day of travel.

Breakfast was typical of this class motel these days. Standard selection of Bacon, Sausage, Scrambled eggs, cerials, various breads and muffins, etc. Hot items were cooked to my satisfaction (eggs not runny but firm and fluffly), etc. Only complaint, which I think I'm going to be making at lot a different establishments, is the use of disposable plates, cups, utensils, etc. What a non "green" way to do things. Been to a couple motels of this class that used washable hard plates, cups, bowls, and metal utensils. Yeah, they need to wash them but that's a whole lot more green than the petro chemicals used to make the disposible kinds and the volume they take in the land fills. It pains me to think of filling up a canyon in this beautiful area with garbage.

All in all a good choice

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Califdan69
MoabHotelier, Manager at Best Western Plus Canyonlands Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review of you recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. One of the most common compliments we receive is about our fresh baked cookies each evening! I would also like to thank you for considering the environment when reviewing your stay. We use 100% bio-degradable plant based disposable cups, plates, napkins and cutlery. When we made the decision to become a Eco-friendly lodging choice we thoroughly researched the landfill waste issue vs. the fresh water waste in running the dishwasher multiple times a day. We came up with the biodegradable option because we felt it was the best to keep waste out of Moab's landfill and conserve the little fresh water available in the desert. We make every possible choice to be kind to our environment including an extensive recycling and resource management program. We can not stress how important keeping Moab beautiful is to us. I hope that this helps clear the misunderstanding of the waste produced by our breakfast buffet. I thank you again for your time and I hope that you will visit again soon.

Respectfully,
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great price for a great location and place. It's not awesome modern updated looking but kept pretty good condition. Also, great complimentary breakfast. Food was good, and it was awesome in the cold weather--don't need to go out.
Workers are not very friendly. They just do their work, but not happy greeter, except one man on front desk, I think he's the manager, very nice and friendly to make sure customers are satisfied with staying--excellent customer service.
Overall, it's good place to stay and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank FamTravelor
MoabHotelier, Manager at Best Western Plus Canyonlands Inn, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I would like to apologize that you felt our staff was unfriendly. I have addressed your concerns with our staff. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.