“great setting and service”

The Cowboy Grill Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 82 Restaurants in Moab
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: After a full day of adventure and exploration, nothing soothes the soul like a hearty meal in an intimate setting. Our terraced dining room ensures every guest has a magnificent view of the Colorado River, the Fisher Towers, and the towering red rock cliffs surrounding the Lodge. Shaded patios and decks offer cool dining in a natural setting any time of year. Our menu captures traditional Western favorites like Ranch Grilled Steak, Smoked Barbequed Pork Ribs and Wild Alaskan Salmon. Our prime rib is a Red Cliffs specialty, and every menu item pairs perfectly with, our onsite winery Castle Creek Winery, featuring award-winning choices available by glass or bottle.
Seattle, WA
“great setting and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were staying at Red Cliffs Lodge and had two meals at the Cowboy Grill. The food is sufficient and there was great service, but there was nothing unique or interesting about the menu (10 different items that all come with a baked potato and steamed vegetables). Back to the service: when we realized we would be arriving late, we called the hotel and asked to speak to the restaurant. They walked us through the menu and had the food waiting for us when we arrived, packed and ready to take back to our room. It was so nice and was a great welcome to Red Cliffs Lodge!

Visited May 2013

Harrison, Ohio
“MAKE A RESERVATION!!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

There was no one there but we got stuck in a bar with no view because they thought a bus trip might be on the way. It was really dark, an afterthought for the servers and the table wobbled really bad. The food was ok but not worth the drive for the price. The view is great...if you get to see it. No matter what time you're going....MAKE A RESERVATION.

• Visited May 2013
Yakima
“worth it for the view alone!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is your best bet for a romantic dinner with amazing views in the Moab area! it is 15 miles up the Colorado River canyon to the north of town, but well worth the drive. Big restaurant, nice bar area, and a deck for outdoor seating.
Both the trout dish and the steak dish we tried were very good, but maybe a bit on the higher price end of the scale. Like many places in the area, Elk is always on the menu.

• Visited April 2013
Clearwater, Florida
“Stay Away From The Filet”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The outside tables were taken, so we ate inside. The dining room was sssoooo suffocatingly warm. Our waitress - Gretchen - couldn't have been less friendly. I can't say that she was rude - but not friendly or welcoming in the least. Also, it was the hostess that actually provided most of the service to our table.... Gretchen hardly did a thing. Beverages weren't refilled, etc. I ordered the larger filet mignon and the three others ordered the prime rib dinners. The filet came with a baked potato and vegetables and the prime rib dinners came with fries and vegetables. As soon as I cut into the filet, I knew it was a bad piece of meat - very, very tough, overcooked and dry. I took one bite and can compare it to the texture of a tough, dry sirloin. For the price, I expected what I've gotten at good steakhouses (Berns, Flemmings, Ruth Chris) - a steak that can almost be cut with a fork and almost melts in your mouth. HERE'S THE KICKER..... I asked to return the meat and was offered another meal. I'd really had my heart set on filet, so I asked for a better piece of meat. After taking the meat away, the hostess returned and stated, "All of us in the kitchen tried your meat and agreed that there's nothing wrong with it!" Well, first of all, I do know what a filet should be like, secondly - I couldn't believe that they all tried my meat, and lastly - she's basically telling me that I'm wrong. I replaced the steak with an order of chicken fettucini, which was so full of garlic that I couldn't eat it. The fries that came with the prime rib dinners were hard and undercooked, as were the vegetables.

When we were checking out of the lodge, I mentioned the dining experience to the girl at the front desk (can't remember her name, but she was very friendly). She asked me if I could relate the experience to the dining manager, who she called over. I told him of the problem and his defensive response was, "I pick the beef out myself and know it to be of good quality" (in other words - I was wrong)! Nothing about, 'gee I'm so sorry for the problem', etc. We weren't asking for any favors (and didn't get any), but I would have liked some sort of acknowledgement.

From several other posts on this and other board, I see that other people have had problems with the restaurant and also on the beef dinners. If you feel like going into town for something definitely not as 'fancy' but MUCH BETTER FOOD AND SERVICE, try the Moab Diner - great food, service and prices.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Godivagirl57
castle valley
“food was GREAT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Best breakfast (lots of choices)
Lunch (great hamburgers)
Dinner (fabulous steaks) the servers and staff the best. Always have a smile and ready to help!

Visited April 2013

Been to The Cowboy Grill Restaurant? Share your experiences!