“Great stay”

Inca Inn
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful staff. Basic but very clean and comfortable. Will definitely stay here again. The only caveat was parking, we were in a van that just fit. Anything bigger would have a problem.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Inca Inn

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Best parts of Inca Inn:
- Unbeatable price with their online special ($49/night with breakfast) - every other place in town will run you around $100 with taxes. We only really sleep in the room (outside in the beauty of Moab all day) so we don't really need a fancy schmancy room.
- Good service and friendly staff with recommendations of fun things to do. Room service was nice, not stingy - refilled all the toiletries.
- Very clean rooms - I worked room service for a summer in college and my eyes were forever opened to the shortcuts places take in cleanliness. This place was spic and span - as clean as I've seen for a small motel. The linens are simple but great condition. They have separate rags for cleaning red dirt off your shoes/bikes/etc.
- Fresh, STRONG Starbucks coffee all day (and various teas or cocoa) in the lobby. We loved being able to save a few bucks on an afternoon pick-me-up and also have a great cup of strong stuff.
- Breakfast was good! Some TA-ers pooh-poohed it but we really liked it. They have juice, fresh hardboiled eggs, and the white bread is allegedly homemade - it's delicious. The rest of it is the usual continental breakfast suspects: cereal, oatmeal, pastries, etc. We did about 20 miles of hiking in the two days we were there and we found the breakfast totally filling for both days.

Things we wish were a little better:
- Updated bathrooms! These bathrooms are very clean and not gross at all because of age, but they are still OLD. They could use an update.
- Furniture and bedding is also dated, but fine. In good condition and not a problem. (Good blackout curtains, too - a requirement for me).
- Wish the old TV remote and room phone were able to be sanitized (like you see in some hotels now with the little sign that says they're cleaned each time). We had our 13-mo-old who napped those right away and I cringed at how many germs must be on them.
- Heard a little noise next door one night but it didn't keep me awake.

Just so you know:
- It's off the main strip - not really walking distance to the shops/restaurants, though I did walk one day and it wasn't too bad.
- Sometimes the pool isn't open (we went in early March and it was warm enough) - better to call and ask before you reserve if you're looking forward to that.

All in all, we thought it was perfect for what we paid and we slept well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Initial impression was that it seemed very basic and dated. we were quite concerned as we were booked in for 2 nights. First impressions were not helped by the fact that we were placed in a corner room, with a wall obscuring the front door and part of the window, so very dark. the room was actually quite clean, so that was the main thing. the adjoining wall, we discovered, was the back of a separate restaurant and the restaurant apparently had the land behind. Consequently, at periods there was an awful lot of noise and banging. i don't know why they placed us there. There seemed to be quite a few rooms available and in any case, we booked many months earlier and don' t feel we should have been given what was obliviously the worst position on the plot. On the positive side there was very good coffee on tap all day. It might be just me but was irritated by various notes around the place explaining that they were a small establishment, not part of a chain, and therefore couldn't compete in 'flashiness'. It seemed to be a poor excuse for not spending anything at all on modernisation. I suppose I was disappointed as other reviews had been very positive. It was a reasonable price but no better than others in the town, some of whom seemed more attractive from the outside at least.

Room Tip: Away from main road. Not much traffic but noise form adjoining establishment
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stan J
Inca_Owner, Owner at Inca Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

To all review readers, and management response readers: The Inca Inn does not think it is a "flashy motel". We are "dated". And in fact we are "basic". We have a small parking lot (parking however is right outside your door); our swimming pool is small (but clean, refreshing and soon to be open!); our rooms are small; our bathrooms are small. I think you get the idea.

I really appreciate this guest providing this review. It gives me a chance to speak about the economics of running a motel. When a motel spends money on advertising, or listing its rooms with all the booking services around, it costs a lot of money. If I were to level this place and rebuild, it would take a lot of money (I couldn't possibly make this place flashy without demolishing it and rebuilding it!). Guess what? The only way to pay for those expenses would be to raise prices! All the newer places, remodeled places, spiffy places in town are proof of this. Just stay at any chain motel in town, any one of them, in season and you will pay a boat load more money than you will pay when staying at the Inca Inn. Some of the "discount chains" on event days, holidays, and busy times will charge $50 to $100 more per night! During the normal seasonal days they will charge much more as well. Basic economics.

We do invest every day in taking care of what we can. Our housekeepers scrub your bathroom to make it sparkling clean. Over the years we've hired housekeepers that have worked in other properties here in town. They tell us that compared to their prior employers we allocate twice as much time per room to clean.

Remember, the reason you look at reviews is that you want to know what happens "inside" the place you are going to stay. I had to chuckle a bit when this guest mentioned that other places in town looked more attractive from the "outside". It's what's inside the book that matters......................................as to our cover? I think it's cute actually.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reviews and giving us a chance to be your place to stay here in fabulous Moab!

Grant

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Reviews on here were generally good but mixed for the Inca Inn but as we were only staying for one night in Moab we thought that for the price it would be a good deal. When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised - the guy on the desk, Andrew, was really friendly and helpful, giving us restaurant advice and directions. The room was really clean, as was the bathroom, and I loved that in the guest info they admit that things are simple but their effort is put into great service and cleanliness, rather than a big pool or fancy breakfasts, in order to keep their prices down. Honesty is the best policy, right?! It was a nice touch.

Breakfast is super-basic; toast, coffee/tea and cereal but it's 10 minutes walk to the start of the food places on North Main Street so there's plenty of choice of you're a big breakfast person!

As others have said, it's not soundproofed and you can hear people coming and going but it was pretty quiet while we were there so I slept right through just fine.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Inca_Owner, Owner at Inca Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thanks for such a great review! It never gets old hearing about someone coming here and being "pleasantly surprised".

It is fairly ironic that this guest comments on how refreshing it is that we are honest about our shortcomings. A reviewer just a few days later said that our mention of our shortcomings was a poor substitute for not modernizing? Truth is we could never afford to "modernize" without charging so very much more. If we tore the place down and rebuilt we'd have to charge the same rates as everyone else. And from my perspective we'd lose some of our quaint "charm".

When I bought the motel a few years ago we did extensive improvements in all of our rooms. We're not spiffy as a result but "functionally adequate". :)

It's true that our rooms are not sound proofed. Has anyone ever stayed at a motel where the rooms were sound proofed? In fact, "neighbor noise" is one of the most frequently commented on issues on Tripadvisor. There is no getting around the fact that rooms are adjacent to each other and if a neighbor is not self conscious about making noise, it can cause a problem. One benefit we have being a single story motel: you don't have to worry about noise above or below you.

We have a "quiet time" policy here. After 10:00pm we ask all of our guests to be quiet, in and outside of the room, in consideration of everyone else. If there is ever a problem just dial "0" and let us take care of it.

People mention our very basic breakfast. Guess what. Our breakfast is very basic! We don't pretend it is anything more than a simple start to your day. We do try to spice it up a bit however: with home made bread; real Starbucks coffee; fresh cut fruit, and we also boil our hard boiled eggs every day rather than buying them shelled in 5 gallon tubs from the local restaurant supply company. We leave peeling them up to you.

Come stay with us. We're not spiffy. We're not fancy. We care about the things that matter most. We know you have lots of other options when staying here in Moab. We're grateful when you choose to trust your stay with us!

Thanks!

Grant Peck

Reviewed March 16, 2014

After my first night the young manager was concerned as I was going to check out since I was awake until 3 am listening to the people next door go in and out, slamming the door, tv never was turned off until 3 or so. He offered me a better price to stay and assured me that room was empty the next few nights and it was. Did get good sleeps after that. The rooms are not quiet so you if are a light sleeper beware. Bathrooms are nice and clean, good hot shower, wifi worked well.
Breakfast was basic but fine. This is an okay motel, but I am seeing a distinct pattern to Trip Advisor rated accommodations charging considerably higher rates. I was in two other motels here in Moab, their rates were $24 and $20 less than I paid for perfectly clean and good rooms. So as much as I participate in, and rely on TA. I suggest to shop around, especially in the slow season.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Inca_Owner, Owner at Inca Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

I love my little motel, I love my staff and I love that our customers care enough to let us know how they feel. We can't run a great little motel without feedback and comments.

We are very, very careful to check with each and every guest to find out if "everything was okay". Why? So if things weren't okay we can make them right. Our goal is for EVERY guest to be satisfied. Every customer staying here has lots of options here in town. We are always grateful when guests decide to stay with us, even though we are an older, smaller property.

Noisy neighbors! I'm so sorry this happened. This can, and will happen at any motel/hotel. At the Inca however, we ask all of our guests to honor our "code of quiet" from 10:00pm to 9:00am. Our guests tend to be the "conscientious" type. They know we care as so do they. Sometimes, a neighbor might not be aware of the time or how much noise they are making!

It turns out that we had made special accommodation to the guests next door (to our reviewer) as the gentleman was going to propose to his future wife, in our motel room, that evening. We had no idea that they were going to celebrate afterwards, and apparently quite loudly, and apparently quite late. As the reviewer mentioned we of course made changes when we fouind out about the problem in the morning.

Please, to all of our guests...................don't wait to let us know if there is a problem! Dial "0" anytime and let us help! We can always call the room in question and ask for peace and quiet.

The reviewer mentions pricing. Just so all of our guests know the lower rates this guest was mentioning were from two chain motels here in town. They have "numbers" in their name, like 6 and 8. We don't compete with their pricing in the off season and we don't go anywhere near their pricing "in season". We do not advertise nor do we pretend to be the cheapest place in town. We don't use price as the reason to stay here........................

To this reviewer, thanks for caring enough about your stay to pass along some positives and negatives about the Inca Inn. Very helpful to us and to potential future guests.

Grant Peck

Reviewed March 14, 2014

We had high expectations, after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor - usually a way to experience a real let-down. But, everything we read was true! Comfortable, clean, nice amenities, PLUS friendly, professional, caring staff. He (Andrew Wyatt) went our of his way to ensure that we had everything we needed...and when we asked if we could use their lobby, late one night, to play card games with our family, he enthusiastically said yes! By the time we got back with our cards, Andrew had already arranged the tables for us. Will plan to stay here in the future when we travel from New Mexico to visit our daughter in Utah.

Room Tip: We stayed in a king-sized bedroom, and the bathroom was small (#101). But my sister and her husband...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Having read previous reviews we stopped at the Inca Inn on our way to Las Vegas. We agree with most that the Inn is a very good place to stay. Good value and good accommodations.
Loved the yellow tile with aqua trim in the bath --very retro :-)

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family