“Go for the view - the food and service are good too!”
Review of Sunset Grill

Sunset Grill
Ranked #13 of 83 Restaurants in Moab
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Sunset Grill is in the former home of Uranium King Charlie Steen. In the early 1950s Moab was a small farming community. Arches and Canyonlands were places only a lucky few experienced. In 1952 Charles A. Steen, geologist and prospector, put Moab on the world map. The Sunset Grill specializes in hand-cut steaks, prime rib, seafood, and other traditional dishes.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go for the view - the food and service are good too!”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

After long day hiking around Arches National Park, I was famished and looking for a relaxing place to eat. Saw this place up on the side of the mountain and decided to go for it. I love this place. My server Sherri was excellent. Just the right amount of attention to make sure I was happy but not too much. I had the Prime Rib. Ordered it medium and that's exactly what came out. Everything was good for me and if I ever find myself in Moab again I would return here without question!

Philadelphia
“Most Enjoyable Meal”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We had dinner at the Sunset on Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Everything was most enjoyable, from the beautiful view to the delicious trout dinner. While it was a very busy night, the restaurant honored our reservation promptly and followed that up with first class service. The food and wine, in our opinion, were very reasonably priced.

Parachute, Colorado
“Not what we expected, but very good!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We drive through Moab at least once a month and always say we want to try Sunset Grill, so for our mini honeymoon we decided to! After the drive up the hill we were a bit concerned- lights out and pavement needed work, but we were pleasantly surprised! The staff is all incredibly friendly. The food was perfect and it is a big serving! View was great at sunset!

Colorado
“Nice but could have been better.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is a nice restaurant with a good view. Most entrees were somewhat above average, but to have plain vegetables and rice with the entree was a letdown. Desserts were above average. The restaurant should pave the road, as it was quite an adventure to drive up a hillside with pot-holes and bad road.

colorado
“Not fine dinning, and not a good steak”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a rip off of other fine dinning restaurants. Steaks are not good, I dont know what is up with this place but getting an improperly gray looking filet with under cooked bacon wrapped on it is NOT a properly cooked steak. FYI fine dining doesn't put bacon on a good filet. Store bought croutons on the salad were terrible, salad had a lot of dressing, too much. Even the vegetables were over cooked and pretty gross, I would never recommend someone coming here. If you want a good steak wait until you get home and either cook one yourself or find a reputable place to have a great steak. The food was really very terrible. I dont know how this place has a good rating but the food is not good. The decor is like being on someones 50's living room, the music is just as old, no bar and the drinks are very limited, yes it is Utah but this is ridiculous. I eat at fine dinning on a regular basis and this is not even close.

3 Thank mL559
emoab, Owner at Sunset Grill, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I personally met with the entire staff to see if they could identify your table. No server remembers anyone leaving the restaurant this unsatisfied.

But one of my very seasoned servers 25+yrs remembers a filet that was sent to kitchen. In this case the filet was cooked to a medium with a hot pink center. Upon request the server substituted a prime rib for this meal.

Our menu describes that our filets are wrapped in bacon. Since we cut all of our meat, we have several filets that can be prepared without bacon. The server will do this on request.

The Sunset Grill is the former home of “The Uranium King Charlie Steen” it was built in the 1950’s. I’ve had the restaurant updated to look and feel like you’re in “Charlies House”. He is truly a rag to riches story. I make every attempt to let our customers know they are dining at a historic home. In his day everyone was welcomed in Charlie’s House.

The music is adult contemporary, Norah Jones, Adele, Michael Buble, Christina Perri, Jason Mraz, Christina Aguilera…. also you will hear some songs from Frank Sinatra Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney and others. It’s a mix that I believe represents today’s adults, and the music that would have been played during Charlie days.

The restaurant has over twelve different beer’s, thirty-four “hard” liquors, sixteen wines and two champagnes.

I will close my reply with a Charlie Steen story.

During the filming the movie 1959 movie “Warlock” the cast including Henry Fonda, Frankie Gorshin, Dorothy Malone talked Charlie into hosting several parties at “Charlie’s House”. However, when Charlie threw a party some his guest would find it hard to make to work the next day. This happened to his friend Henry Fonda who missed an engagement at the Town & Country Club. Frankie Gorshin stepped in and did an impromptu fill in that wowed the crowd.

Happy trails. Life’s too short to let a crouton or extra salad dressing ruin a day in paradise.

Been to Sunset Grill? Share your experiences!