“Local's Night”
Review of Buck's Grill House - CLOSED

Buck's Grill House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Portland, Oregon
“Local's Night”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The food was great! The food value was pretty good, THEN we got the "local's discount" because we were there on "local's night". We ate in the bar and had the best ribs (baby back) I've had in a long time in a restaurant. A local band (don't know the name) started to play--very well, by the way--about half way through our meal. It was a definite plus.

Food was great, service good, music entertaining. What's not to like?

Visited November 2012

Treynor, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The food and service was exceptional. We had the Buffalo meatloaf and it was SO good! We like it so well we went back the next night and had a delicious pork chop and the evening special of Buffalo Shepherd's pie.

Visited November 2012
DE
“Perfect dining experience”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

It sits on the outskirts of town and we just happened to drive up after a long day of hiking not knowing what to expect. The food was phenomenal. We really enjoy a southwestern taste and many of their menu choices included this with the meal. They also had a nice game selection that looked delicious. We aren't big game eaters but I almost went for the Duck Tamales. Would definitely go back again!

“Game meat with a Mexican twist”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were drawn to Buck's by the promise of elk stew and rabbit enchiladas. We ended up going with the latter choice and it was very tasty. It is one of their most popular dishes it seems. The prices were a little bit high for the portions we received, the server was very attentive and the background music just right.

Pacifica, California
“It ... Sort of Made Me Cry. A Little.”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

In the middle of a ten day road trip, we arrived late in Moab, seeking dinner.

Buck's Grill House caught my eye, frankly, because they had a $40 for $20 coupon; visiting their site and looking at their menu, they had me at "grilled boar, elk and buffalo sausages, topped with mustard aioli."

Arriving at the restaurant, we were promptly seated by Meghan, the maitre d', and served by Megan, the waitress (I know, confusing!). The menu caused us fits with many options that looked lovely; my wife ended up getting the buffalo meat loaf while I got the New York Strip, medium rare, "Cowboy Style" ("Rubbed with our own spice blend, grilled and topped with our savory barbeque butter"). For my two sides, I chose the mashed potatoes and the cole slaw.

Here, let me get all the negatives out of the way, because I really need to gush:

1. Their first attempt at serving me a medium rare steak got me a steak that was pretty much on the rare side (interesting, because most restaurants, when they screw up medium rare in my experience, end up overcooking it). They quickly fixed it, and the second time around it was perfect;

2. The cole slaw was amazing -- fresh, and crisp, and wonderful. The only problem was that they served me my food on a heated plate, and the cold cole slaw on the heated plate quickly heated up -- so at least the bottom layer of the cole slaw was warm, rather than cold, and because of that less than perfect. But, seriously, I do mean "less than perfect," not "bad" -- it was really lovely;

3. The mashed potatoes were delightful -- bacony, and green oniony, and interesting and complex in a way that mashed potatoes often are not. They were a little bit dry and probably were a tiny bit of cream/butter away from utter heavenly perfection.

Here's the thing you have to know about the steak, though:

It made me tear up.

No, seriously. I actually teared up. It was just ... sublime. Perfect flavor, lovely texture, wonderfully done, and their spice and butter additions to it made it stand out.

Look, I grill. A lot. I do skirts, tri-tips, ribeyes, and pretty much everything else out there. I'm a snob when it comes to steaks, and the really good steaks I eat are the ones I think to myself "wow, this steak is as good as what I make" (humility ain't my strong point). This steak? I can't duplicate it. I'm not entirely certain I'm a worthy enough cook to try.

So the steak was memorable. The service (thanks, Megan!) was fantastic (she noticed how quickly I demolished my glass of iced tea and didn't even bother refilling my glass -- she just dropped off a huge jug of iced tea that lasted all the way to the end of dinner).

It was a profoundly wonderful dinner. There were two minor points (I don't really count the steak being underdone the first time) that make it, rather than "perfect in every way," just "wow, incredible, I can't believe we just had that." If I could give them 4.9 stars, I'd do it; in the absence of that, and opting to find the best match to our experience between four stars and five stars, it was an easy choice to make.

In the neighborhood? Go. Now.

• Visited November 2012