“Not what I was expecting, but still very good.”
Review of Buck's Grill House - CLOSED

Buck's Grill House
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Ohio, USA
“Not what I was expecting, but still very good.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I guess I had a steak place in mind when our group decided on Buck’s Grill for dinner, but the menu is a bit more eclectic than that. That was OK as there is a good variety of items on the menu. I guess the reason I was thinking more of a steak place is that is what I remember from our previous visit to Buck’s in 2009. Perhaps they have tweaked the menu since then.

We had a large group, around 24 folks. We had a nice seating arrangement in the outdoor area, sort of by ourselves, but still with access to the live music. We were split between four tables which made moving about and visiting with other folks very easy (there was plenty of space between the tables). The service was great. The servers were friendly and expedient. Our orders were taken quickly and the food was brought out with little wait and all the meals were hot and well presented.

We were there on a Friday evening with a 7:30 reservation and the place was packed. Parking was very tight (we were wedging the rental cars into any available spot).

I’ll keep Buck’s on the list for our next visit to Moab.

• Visited October 2012

UK
“"Disappointing"”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

In Moab for a couple of night's to visit the parks and tried this restaurant on our second night as my husband wanted to sample the elk stew. The waiter was abrupt and unfriendly and the stew was so tough it had to be sent back to the kitchen. I had a steak which was ok but not great value for money. Portions couldn't be described as generous. Would advise caution for any Coeliacs (Celiacs) thinking of eating here. The french fries and sweet potato fries are described as gluten-free but the waiter informed us that they are fried in the same oil as food covered in breadcrumbs/batter. So in effect only the raw product is actually gluten-free.

• Visited September 2012
Frankfort, Illinois
“One Buck Became Two Bucks”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

On our second day in Moab after an exhausting seven hours in Arches National Park we wanted a place where we could relax and enjoy the evening. After a little internet research we found such a place in Buck’s Grill House. In fact, after touring Canyonlands National Park the next day we returned to Buck’s Grill House for a second evening meal.

We found the place very interesting. Not much inside in way of atmosphere, but what a TERRIFIC patio area. Both evenings we could look up and over the building to see the setting sun’s rays illuminating the mountains beyond. Surrounding us in the patio area were several water features which provided relaxing background sounds.

Staff was friendly and welcoming throughout our stay at the restaurant. The host was the one to suggest the patio seating area which we soon much appreciated. Each night he provided us with a great table location. Our servers were friendly, informative, and attentive; always making sure that we were pleased and that everything was going well and offering information or providing suggestions as requested by us.

Initially, it was the menu items that first attracted us to Buck’s as well a previous diners’ experiences. The menu includes several wild game or atypical game entrees, some prepared in what we considered to be unusual ways. We wanted to try those entrees! The first night we started by sharing buffalo quesadillas and followed that with each selecting Elk Stew as the entree. The second night we had the Catfish Cake appetizer; my spouse then had the Duck Tamales and I chose the Rabbit Enchiladas. We enjoyed everything that we ordered. All appetizers and entrees were tasty, well prepared, and well presented. Each contained good amounts of the game meat. We did not leave hungry.

Buck’s is a great place to go after a long adventurous day. You can relax in a casual setting, wind down, and enjoy a wonderful meal.

• Visited October 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“A miss for us”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were looking for a place to watch the sunset and my husband was in the mood for a good steak. We overheard the owner of another restaurant recommend Buck's, so we tried it.
As we walked through the restaurant, it seemed a bit barren as opposed to warm and cozy. We found out you can't see the sunset from the patio. It is a very nice patio, however, with plenty of heaters for cool nights.
My husband ordered the strip steak and I ordered fish. This was about a week ago, and I don't even remember what kind of fish I had. I remember scraping a thick barbeque-y type sauce off the top and eating just the fish, not the rice it was served over.
My husband's steak was not good. It was pretty thin. He gave me a bite and it reminded me of something from one of those old Ponderosa steak houses. It was tough and had some gristle, so he asked if he could get something else. Our server was very understanding and quickly brought him a half rack of ribs. He enjoyed those much more than the steak, but said the coleslaw had a really weird taste and one bite was enough. Our server (it wasn't her fault) thankfully removed the charge for the steak from our bill. That was NOT a $32 steak! We left feeling it was a wasted night out.

• Visited September 2012
Germany
“overpriced and cold...”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The stew was more on the cold side and the duck was difficult to find in the (duck) tamale. Also the service was sluggish and not really that friendly. Anyway, real problem is the food that in addition is overpriced. Ruined an otherwise perfect day....

Visited October 2012