“Bar food but better”

Zax Restaurant & Watering Hole
Ranked #21 of 83 Restaurants in Moab
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We were going to go to Paradox Pizza because it was rated high here but it was in a strip mall and had a lot less atmosphere than this main street place. We sat on the patio by the odd burning branch with a waterfall backed by an arch structure. The interior was a big expanse of tables and booths. The servers were great – friendly and funny and prompt. The pizza was quite good – homemade honey (wheat?) dough with a really delicious red sauce (rich, tangy) – and of course cheese & toppings. The menu offers a lot more besides pizza. They offer Castle Creek winery wines like many places in Moab – they’re all right. They also offer draft and bottled beer. It’s just a little bit more expensive than average, but if we lived in Moab, we’d probably regularly frequent this place.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We got in here around 9 pm on a Friday. There was a wait of about twenty-five minutes. Our waitress was fantastic and even played Tic tac toe with the kids. We ordered a steak and bruschetta and the kids had whatever they ate. We also finally had a few beers on some good recommendations from the waitress, the beers were my highlight. The steak was cooked properly just not the best steak I've ever had. The bruschetta was wonderful and I ended up eating the whole app as no one else wanted it. We didn't get out until after 11pm and the place was still busy then. Would eat here again, everyone else enjoyed it too.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Very comfortable and friendly restaurant. Wide choice of foods and excellent beer - the Dead Horse Amber is extremely quaffable!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had dinner twice at this restaurant while staying in Moab. The food was excellent. I dined in doors one time, and in the outdoors section the second time. Both were very good.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I frequent Zax's on a weekly basis since I've moved to Moab. Not once have I had a bad experience. All the pasta dishes are very good, pizza is fresh and the burgers are in the top 5 in Moab. Their drinks are priced accordingly with the rest of the restaurants in town. If you come here, make sure to check out the specials on the board when you walk in.

The staff is always very attentive when I go. Maybe it's because they see me a lot but even the staff memebers who don't know me are on their A game.

The ambiance inside the bar and restaurant is very nice. Cold A/C is always pumping in the summer. The patio is nice as well. Bathrooms are clean and stocked every time which some people like me care about. I would say it is kid friendly in Zax's if you are here with your family.

Overall, I think Zax's is a one of the restaurants that really helps Moab's tourism industry and people leave happy more times than being disappointed. I will continue sending visitors here when they ask where is a good place to eat.