“The few downsides can and should be corrected”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Moab
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Moab
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Let's get straight to the good vs. bad list:

Pros:

The hotel seems to have undergone a remodelling, which made it feel rather new. It is off to the north of town. The interior design is modern, although a bit kitsch.

Rooms are spacious and clean. The mattress and the bedding are comfortable. Sound-proofing (which is important to me, as I am a light sleeper) was above average, although I could hear footsteps, often. Bathrooms are modern, with good plumbing (water pressure, etc).

Employees are friendly and eager to please, from the moment you walk in.

For the many bikers that visit this destination, there is an ample bike storage closet with a locked door. Although any guest can access it with a key card (they could look into giving access to those who ask for it, exclusively), there is a CCTV camera recording activity in this area, so you feel that the bikes are safe.

The hotel has ample parking, which is a good thing during peak season.

There is a heated outdoor pool with cheesy plastic waterfalls and gas torches. Kids seem to love this little area.

Moab is awesome, on so many levels...

Cons:

During my search, I found this to be one of the most expensive hotels within Moab. Nevertheless, I made the choice because I have faith in IHG brands and also, because I prefer newer or remodeled properties for my stays.

Even though the hotel is in Moab, it is somewhat removed from the heart of town, so walks to restaurants are not so close. We ended up driving every time.

While I mentioned that the employees are kind, I found at least 4 of the ladies at the front desk to know much less about the national parks and about biking options than you would expect. These are the main attractions that draw hotel guests to Moab. Residents should know the area well, particularly hotel employees that have constant contact with guests. Regarding restaurants, it seemed that they were recommending places based on commission agreements (the whole "please take this card for a special discount" deal) and I am not a fan of that. When asked specific restaurant questions, it seemed that they always drew a blank. I only had 1 truly good meal in 4 days, and it was not a hotel recommendation. That being said, taste is subjective...

When we first wanted to store the bikes, it took about 30min to do so, as the person at the front desk, surprisingly, didn't know exactly where the storage room was and the other front desk staff member was on a long break at the pool area, seemingly not too eager to walk over and help us out.

When we arrived to the hotel at 4:30pm, check in was smooth and we were handed the keys. But, as we arrived to the rooms, housekeeping was just getting started. The kind lady told us that she had not been informed that those 2 rooms were to receive guests that evening. We wont hold this against them as these rooms were a bit larger than the standard rooms, so it appears as though they may have wanted to give us the better rooms, as they were not sold...who knows.

While I am clear on what "limited service" means, being able to advertise an included breakfast should have certain requisites on quality, freshness, and healthiness of choices. Actually, on this 1-week trip through 3 different destinations in UT and CO, I may have had the worst hotel breakfasts of my life. But the reason why I would hold it against this hotel in particular is because it has an average high-season rate close to $200, while the other places I stayed at had much lower rack rates.

The breakfast merits a description:
Everything seems to come from a box, can, container, etc. The only fresh items were the bananas. Pretty much everything offered had added (refined) sugar, refined flour, heavy dairy cream, or large amounts of saturated fat. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a good egg omelette, with cheese and bacon. But the day that they put "eggs" inside the hotbox, it looked terrible and the cheese was fluorescent yellow. The juices were all from concentrate, with added sugars...and didn't taste good or real. I know that the US, in general, has major food issues that have taken their toll on the population's overall health...but I thought that things were changing. My advice: go into town for this most important meal. Go to the Jailhouse or the Diner. Or just grab a banana and buy some bars in town.

Despite the long list of negatives, this is not a bad hotel. And I have not stayed elsewhere in Moab, so I cannot compare properties. In the end, you may very well have a positive experience at this hotel. But if all you need is good night of sleep, there are options in town for half the price.

Enjoy this amazing part of the world.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gacho
Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

1st the bad news. We were told we had to prepay full rate to reserve rm as it was the last and the weekend was a biggy for the town. Night 1 of 2 was horrifying. One of the party "tried" to sleep on the sofa bed....wow. Okay here's the good news. The mgr apologized, said the call was redirected by error and that is why the obligation to prepay; otherwise it's always optional; and the sofa bed, they advised, should really be used only for little kids. They compensated with a nice discount. Now the really super news is I cannot beliEVE how comfy the comforter and pillows are! I have never slept in such a nice bed. EVERYTHING including very attentive staff and breakfast were top rate. A bit pricey, however.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2013

... and I've seen a lot of them. They told us they'd just remodeled and it was very nice. The room was fine as well. The pool is especially nice.

The staff was extremely friendly and responsive. One day they'd forgotten to make up our room by the time we returned at about 5PM. A call to the desk and 3 cleaning people arrived about 2 minutes later. Afterwords, they sought us out (we'd left the room so they could work) and apologized for their error.

The only downside is it isn't right in town but rather a few miles north. Too far to walk, I'd think, but a very pretty setting.

This was my first visit to Moab so I haven't seen any other motels, but this was lovely.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stevej2001
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We traveled to Moab in August and it was 98 degrees when we arrived. What a treat to find a brand new pool area, complete with arch and waterfall to get us in the mood for next day's visit to Arches National Park! This is a fabulous amenity for the Holiday Inn (especially if traveling with children) and we really enjoyed our time there. Location is 5 minute car ride into town for shopping and dining. While you can't easily walk to town, you can look out onto the gorgeous red rocks which surround the hotel. This is the reason we traveled to Moab, not to browse through the touristy downtown area. Drive another few minutes in the opposite direction and you're at the entrance to Arches. We thought the location was just fine. Rooms were modern and comfortable and the hot breakfast was very good. Price was a little high for a Holiday Inn Express, but you do pay for the location. Staff was very friendly.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Diane F
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This was our second stay here at Holiday Inn Express Moab and it has been great both times. The newly remodeled pool area was a real treat this time, however. The arch with fire on top and waterfall below....genius! The room we stayed in had two very comfortable queen beds and a sitting area with couch (that makes into a bed) so there was plenty of room to spread out. The free breakfast has a good variety of food and one of the most spacious breakfast areas I have seen in a hotel with this type of service. It is on the north end of town which makes it a quick drive to Arches National Park.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wombat44
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I always like a Holiday Inn Express. But this one was amazing. Loved the mattresses on the beds. Rooms were very clean. Pool area was a great place to hang out. Hotel service was great! The breakfast was very good for a hotel. Wish the location was closer to everything.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank UtahBbauer
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Our room was very nicely appointed. Bedding was top-notch and mattress was just right. Bathroom was huge. The bedroom was on the small side. If you stay there you must go out to the pool. The views to the red cliffs that surround you are magnificent. The breakfast that is included with the room was the "usual" , no cooked to order here. Overall, the hotel was very clean and seemed very new. We paid $200 for a king bed, double occupancy. The main downside is the hotel is located way out of town. There are no restaurants within walking distance. Otherwise I recommend this hotel. By the way, September is their busiest month; book in advance.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple