“fabulous place, wonderful stay”
Review of Red Cliffs Lodge

Red Cliffs Lodge
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Moab
maryland
“fabulous place, wonderful stay”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I can't describe the beauty of the place. It's only difficulty is that it adds an extra 14 miles each way to travel to and from Arches or any other attraction such as a dinner in Moab. But what a great drive!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Korean first
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed at the Red Cliff Lodges at the end of April - travellers were my wife, 5 year old daughter and myself. We stayed in one of the cheaper lodges overlooking the creek which had 2 queen beds. Made the reservation with booking.com for just under $300 including tax.

There is no doubt that this is a beautiful place to stay - the lodges are similar to a wooden scandinavian style and whereever you are at the property you have beautiful views of the red cliffs. The lodges are large and spacious with a kitchen area and lounge. Everyone has a lovely outside area - ours was looking onto a garden and creek area.

The hotel has lots of great facilities - large outside pool and hot tub (the latter which my daughter and I used first thing in the morning and was good fun), film museum highlighting how the scenery nearby has been used on loads of westerns and other films, winery on site and a great upmarket restaurant which we went to in the evening. I had a great steak there with amazing views of the Colorado river.

We only stayed for one night and unfortunately the weather the next morning was not great as we would have like to explore some of the nearby attractions off route 128 like Fischer Towers but still had a nice buffet breakfast at the hotel for $11 per person and half price for adults.

My only reason why I don't give 5 stars is that we had a problem with our bath and hot water when we were there - the hotel did sort it out after a while but we had been camping for the previous two nights so were desperate for a bath.....I think the rooms have been there for a while so things sare potentially liable to break a bit more. Also, this is not a cheap place to stay - we stayed in the cheapest room which was nearly $300 with tax without any meals....

Overall though, this is a great place and well recommended. I would plan ahead and take some our your own food and drink to cut costs a little - best to stop off at City Market in Moab as you are 14 miles away once you get to the hotel and you want to enjoy the deserted location once you get there!

2 Thank JACKSONJE8
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 2, 2014

At first I didn't book here: The price and the (later turned out wrong) information on top that we would have to pay extra for our younger kids in the same room made me refrain from booking here (adherent to own principles).

A few days before we arrived I looked again and doe-eyed at the lodges website and found they have a special prize. I cancelled my other reservation and on top of it (after arrival)
I realized their website had it wrong and you don't pay extra for younger kids (when using existing bedding off course) (under 10 or so - this is what they said at the lodge)
... so for what it was
... it was a steal !

Anyway - value aside: It is an amazing site, hotel, loge. The breakfast not incl) at the lodge was breathtaking (in summer you probably have to come early to not get all burnt by the sun/heat). The pool !!! (opened early for the first warm days -super service! thank you ! ), the surroundings.
Rooms: We loved our two Q beds, even though we didn't have the view of the Colorado from the room (only in K suites I s'pose), the kitchen, the suites interior, CLEANLINESS - very nice!!
The movie museum in the main lodge ... ah could go on forever

do you believe in all five star reviews ? I usually don't,
Off course there is / might be places in the world that deserve maybe 6 stars, even then this place could still compete

Cons:
The wrong children's policy statement on the webpage

Room Tip: King Suites - colorado view 2Q Suites - less view - still nice room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rhonda G, Public Relations Manager at Red Cliffs Lodge, responded to this review, May 3, 2014
Thank you Steffenchess, for such kind comments about your visit with us at Red Cliffs Lodge! We took note of the misinformation on the website and are correcting this. We look forward to your return visit! Kind Regards, R. Graham
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed 2 nights and left wishing we could have stayed another couple of days. The reception very efficient ,warm and friendly. The whole location is just great. It was nice to have the winery on site and try out local wines. It is about 15 miles from the Arches but the very best place to stay with a lovely drive through the gorge close to the river. The Movie Museum located on the property is well worth a visit. Overall the best hotel we stayed at during our 9 days of driving around the canyon areas.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rhonda G, Public Relations Manager at Red Cliffs Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Anthony L, we appreciate your review of Red Cliffs Lodge. it's great to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to have you stay with us again in the future!
Best Wishes, R. Graham - Online Rep - Red Cliffs Lodge
Terrace, Canada
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed in April for five wonderful nights. Very peaceful creekside suite, spacious and beautifully decorated. Great attention to detail and a very warm welcome even though we arrived at 1.30am due to delays in our travel from Vancouver. The surrounding scenery is breathtaking and we highly recommend a long stay to truly appreciate all the amenities and the natural beauty of Moab. We did not get a chance to have dinner during our stay, but did enjoy the breakfast buffet and the bbq luncheon. As we were out most days we were able to collect a sack lunch to take with us that was ideal. Looking forward to returning again.

Room Tip: Creekside rooms with the outdoor patios are lovely.
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was our second stay at Red Cliffs, as we visited in May 2011, almost three years ago. At that time, I gave it a four-star rating, noting that it is a wonderful place, great location, nice people. All those things are still true, but the major complaint I had before has not been corrected.

For the price we pay to stay there, some sprucing up of the rooms is badly needed.
While there appears to have been some changes for the better in the reception area, the rooms have not received that benefit. I want to be clear. The rooms are clean, and everything was in working order. But they are still dark and still need updating. A coat of lighter paint would go a long ways toward a brighter appearance.

In addition, last time we stayed, there was a full complement of dishes and utensils. This time, not so much. There were only three plates, three spoons, a couple of forks. One semi-sharp knife resided alone in the drawer. One towel in the kitchen had to suffice for both a hand towel and a dish towel. There were no paper towels.

The housekeeping staff did a very nice job each day of tidying up, nicely making the bed, taking out trash, replacing towels, and we appreciated their attentiveness. They are in no way responsible for my mild annoyance at the condition of the rooms.

The laundry room was nice and clean, and the pool area was fine. Those were the only two areas we used.

Overall, everything is leaning a bit more toward shabby, and while we thoroughly enjoyed our time there, I doubt we will return, based on the cost/condition factor. For the condition of the rooms, a price under $200 a night would be more in line. I hope the management will either give those high priced rooms a makeover or lower the price. We’d like to be able to visit again.

Room Tip: Spring for a king suite on the Colorado River. Our favorite part of Red Cliffs was watching the sun...
1 Thank AKLover
Rhonda G, Owner at Red Cliffs Lodge, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to help us improve our property and service.

The small details sometimes make or break a visit and so I can assure you we have attended to the silverware, towels and kitchen dishes. As for the paint color, I can only say that it is the color I chose, being the owner, because I believe it fits more with the lodge type environment we are trying to create every day. The white walls that most of the cookie cutter franchise motels use works great for that experience but I believe the warm terra cotta color works best for us, and I can say most of our guests agree.

The shabby comment is the most concerning to me. We are constantly upgrading and repairing and in the past 3 years we have replaced every bed and bedding, repainted every room, carpeted most, replaced drapes, fridges, etc. So I am very sorry we disappointed you but I can assure you no one tries harder than we do here at Red Cliffs to keep our rooms in top shape.
Finally, I would like to respond to the value question. As you know, Spring is high season in Moab and our rates for 2 people before any discounts are $240.00. Our closest competition up the river is $400.00+. If you choose a cookie cutter franchise in town it is probably close to $200 and the better town properties will be equal or more than us but will NOT offer what I believe makes Red Cliffs a great value but not cheap.

Red Cliffs Lodge is Moab’s National Park experience. We are away from town on a 230-acre working ranch with the Colorado River running through. We are surrounded by 2000’ red rock cliffs, the sky is as big as Montana’s, and the night sky is full of stars. The pastures next to the rooms have a roaming head of horses. As you noted, you can sit on your own private patio and watch the river, wildlife and nature first hand.

Additional things we offer that our competition on at a similar price does not have include: a large kitchenette area with large counter double sinks, table and chairs, sofa, and direct access to a spacious private patio. We have on site a bar and one of Moab’s best restaurants. We have lighted tennis courts, horseshoes, volleyball area, fire pits, and miles of trails for hiking. Utah’s best horseback riding is available from the lodge. We have a free museum featuring 100 years of cowboy and movie history and Utah’s largest winery is on site with free tasting of our local product.

Most of all, we are what everyone else is not. A unique National Park like experience. Your view from your room will not be a parking lot. For these reasons I believe we offer value others cannot touch.

Colin Fryer, Owner
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

In an amazing location by the colorado River with great views up the valley, especially from the restaurant area. We had two creekside rooms, for three nights, that were large well equipped and clean. Good wi-fi.
The breakfast buffet is good value if you have a huge appetite, less so if you like a simple breakfast. We ate one dinner and the food and service were excellent and reasonable value for money. For various reasons we did not make use of the recreational facilities such as the horse riding and rafting as we spent so much time in the parks (Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse point). As an aside, food and drink facilities in National parks are minimal or non existent, WHY???, so stock up before you visit.
The movie museum is interesting, if a bit wordy, and not for small children.
All the staff we met were enthusiastic, knowledgeable about the area, and friendly. Only small criticism I would have is that the foam pillows were not very comfortable.
On the whole I would thoroughly recommend Red Cliffs lodge.