“Desert Oasis”
Review of Red Cliffs Lodge

Red Cliffs Lodge
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Moab
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I can't imagine staying anywhere else during a visit to Moab. I stayed in a suite along the Colorado River, which may explain why it was a little expensive. But I booked at the last minute, so I took what I could get. I'm glad I did. Looking out on the river was beautiful. And the stars from the view of my patio were amazing.

There's a corral attached to the hotel, so you can arrange to take a horseback ride along the same trails that John Wayne once rode. Jill was our guide, and she did a great job of pointing out plant and animal life and told a bit of the local history.

There's a winery next door, where you can sample some wines for free.

I didn't eat dinner at the restaurant, but the buffet breakfast was very good. Lots to choose from.

If there is any downside to this hotel, it's that it's a bit of a drive to get to Moab. Give yourself 15 to 30 minutes. Far enough that you'll probably want to plan your day before you leave the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul T

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were on a whirlwind tour through the western National Parks and stayed one night at Red Cliffs Lodge. I wish we could have stayed longer. The lodge is about 20 minutes outside of Moab, but the drive there is stunning. There is a winery (open seven days a week) on site, a pool and spa snuggled up against the cliffs and a very good restaurant where you can sit outside and take in the fabulous views. The rooms were clean and nice. There was a kitchenette and very comfortable beds. Try to get a room with a river view if possible. We weren't there long enough to take in the other amenities the hotel had to offer, but would love to return to do so.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My sister and I stayed here just one night the end of May, wish we could have stayed longer! The Queen creek side suite was nice, with lovely patio looking out onto pasture with the horses. Room was pricey for value, but we were there for a half marathon, and wanted a nice place for our weekend. After check-in, we ate at Cowboy Grill restaurant (have to have reservations, but easy to make on the spot). We were able to dine on the outside deck, with gorgeous view, and birds everywhere. My food was good, just chicken, my sister had the elk, and said it was tough, dry. Our server, Chad, could not have been better. Informative, friendly, unobtrusive. Thanks, Chad! The room was very clean and beds were very comfortable, thank goodness.... we needed a good night's sleep after traveling through three airports early that day. Next morning after our race, we got back across town and out to the lodge in time for quick showers, and check out. Water pressure was just OK in shower. We unintentionally overshot the checkout time by 20 minutes, (although we were rushing, we were moving a bit more gingerly!) and got a call to let us know we needed to clear out. Have never had that happen, was a little embarrassing. Overall, it was very nice, and wish we would have had time to book an afternoon trail ride, as the horses looked well-cared-for, and the area is just gorgeous! Disappointed we did not have time to enjoy the pool, either. Would like to bring my family back to see the area, and would like to stay here again, but for the price, we can get a 2-BR, 2-BA condominium with full kitchen. Would like to try the cabins, so perhaps that would be a better choice for more room. Best feature for me was the natural beauty (location), friendly, professional staff, quiet, and horseback riding available.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CQ25
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had a great visit at Red Cliffs and I honestly wish I could of put this place in my pocket and taken it home with me. I would say this is one of the best lodges available. Keep it mind it is a real working ranch so there are plenty of beautiful horses and cows on the property. I personally never smelled any order when I was there but did enjoy the fresh air and the sound of the river outside our door. The scenery from Salt Lake City to Moab is like you are living on another planet! In the evening if it catch it right most of the canyons are beet red and this I assure is an awesome sight! You do not need to go to the parks to get an eye candy full of photos. The room was super clean and spacious. We had a queen/queen cabin along the roaring river with a microwave, small fridge, coffee pot, toaster and dishes. Four robes were supplied along with plenty of fresh towels. I used the big colorful pool towels that were supplied in the bathroom. There is a couch, eating table, desk. Outside lounge chairs are provided as well as a eating table. Every cabin would be great but cabin 580 would be at the very end near the canyon so you would not have as much car traffic. The cabins sit on a long narrow road and you will need to drive there. It is fun to pet the horses and look at the cows across this narrow street and the back of the cabin sits the river where you cannot enter from your private deck. There is a boat ramp and I believe two gates to access the river on which you will see people canoeing. There is a winery on site and they grow their own grapes. There is a nice looking pool but we did not swim on this visit. If you should eat dinner in the Lodge the shrimp cocktail is a real bargain and they serve cocktails and wine. You are able to smoke outside your room and on the porch of the lodge. Moab is pretty much surrounded by small towns for miles and miles so check out Goggle before you go because sometimes the gas stations are few and far between. The town of Moab itself is a very friendly town with a stretch of nice gift shops, a awesome art shop and several places to eat. Moab Grille was yummy with down home food but was very busy for Fathers Day and out of desserts and pies! :) Zax has a pizza and salad bar and they will make any kind of pizza you want they also stay open late on Sunday. So if you are still in doubt about staying at Red Cliff Lodge I took plenty of photos so you can see for yourself. My tip is ....the best prices can be found on their webpage so be sure to look there first! ALWAYS bring water and oranges it gets hot! Fill up plastic bottles with water and freeze so you have cold water longer.

Room Tip: Cabin 580 is at the end of the road near the cliffs having less traffic. All cabins are great thoug...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We spent three nights at Red Cliffs Lodge while we explored Canyonlands, Arches, and other area attractions. The room was a queen suite; comfortable enough but not luxury.

It was nice to have a kitchen and sitting area, and also a porch, although we didn't really end up using them much. The kitchen only has a small fridge, coffeemaker, toaster, and microwave, so couldn't really "cook" anything...didn't realize this.

Main hotel area has a decent restaurant for breakfast and dinner, a bar area, and a "cowboy movie museum" which was interesting. We did order box lunches one day, and they were excellent.

It's quite a ways from town - both a plus (when you want peace) and a minus (takes 20+ minutes, but it's a beautiful drive). Very convenient to Arches, Island in the Sky end of Canyonlands, and dinosaur tracks/bones. Quite far from the other send of Canyonlands, museums, etc.

We would stay here again, if the room was reasonably priced.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Although the Red cliffs lodge is 14 miles out of Moab it is a very beautiful and peaceful location.
You couldn't guarantee an outside table for supper so we had meals on our patio. We found the food expensive and not particularly good. The rooms were rather dark except for the kitchen area.
Beautiful sunsets looking at the red rocks.The BBQ lunches (usually shared with a crowd of rafters) were good value.Although you are 14 miles from Moab the La Sal loop road is very close and is a stunning drive.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Red Cliffs is 14 miles out of Moab, UT on the Colorado River away from the tourist areas. The King River view units are all one story facing the river with bedroom and kitchen/living areas separated by a few steps. Excellent amenities, friendly staff. Nice pool, a working ranch there are horses nearby (which means smell and flies) but not too bad. Front drive is not paved, so lots of dust. Biggest issues we had was that the A/C unit is of the old "in the wall" unit and fairly noisy all night and although the room was clean we found old food in the refrigerator and a pair of shoes under the bed. Not cheap, they do offer 10% off if you stay two nights and order an activity (like rafting) through them. Hard to find on their web site, have to call them, but worth it. Disappointed in the restaurant which listed Prime Rib as their specialty and it came out dry and stringy. (and lots of flies).

Room Tip: All the river rooms are nice, we were in 402 which had a tree somewhat blocking the view of the rive...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple