“Don't get on the host's bad side”

Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 15 Moab B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I received a gift certificate for Cali Cochitta as a wedding gift. We'd been eager to use it and planned our trip to Moab around when there was an open night in one of the rooms we desired.

Kim greeted us warmly, saying I looked familiar. We proceeded into the office to handle payment, at which point I handed her our gift certificate. It was at that time her whole demeanor changed and our experience went sour...

As she looked over the gift certificate, she frowned, clearly looking irritated. I then had to step out briefly to get something out of the car.

When I returned a minute later, she was walking out with my husband. She was quite brusque and stated that we hadn't told her we'd be using a gift certificate. I apologized if that was the case; I truly thought I'd included it in the comments on the reservation form (and apparently missed on the GC that I was supposed to call).

She then moved right into her intro/tour of the B&B. It felt rushed, cold and perfunctory. Any positive feedback or questions I attempted to speak were talked over. She didn't ask a single question about us. Upon entering our room, I asked about a WiFi code and she snapped "it's in the information packet in the room, like I told you". (I don't think she'd previously mentioned the wifi code; I think she was referring to having mentioned there was an information packet).

We were essentially made to feel as another guest commented they felt upon arriving late to breakfast - like "naughty school children" - so much so that we contemplated leaving immediately and would have had it not been an incredibly busy weekend in Moab for Jeep Safari. As it was, we snuck out early before breakfast, not wanting to sit family-style at a table where we clearly weren't welcome.

Lots of folks seem to have a wonderful experience at Cali Cochitta. But of the negative reviews, it seems those guests had a similar experience to us, getting on the host's bad side in some way and then being treated poorly. Many of those reviews are followed by a note from the host/owner indicating she "wishes they'd have brought this up while they were at the B&B." All I can say is that if she truly meant that, her demeanor would be more welcoming of interaction. We were intensely uncomfortable. I'm not sure how you'd even address that issue - "Excuse me, I'm feeling like I've upset you and am now very unwelcome by you"?

Although I can appreciate being surprised by the gift certificate, I can't imagine why it warranted the response we got.

The B&B and grounds themselves were lovely: I gave 2 stars for this reason only; otherwise it would have been 1 star. Had the host been at all gracious, we would have happily returned for another visit and recommended it to friends. After our less than warm reception, we will not be doing so.

You can certainly take your chances, although if you do, I highly recommend doing whatever possible not to make any mistakes or get on the host's bad side.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Wanderlust0123
CaliCochittaBandB, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Things that you wrote were not quite as I remember them. I am sorry you felt sensitive to my responses. It is true I was surprised when you came for check in and you presented a gift certificate to pay for your stay. The gift certificate (as I explained in detail to you) requires you to call us and make a reservation and not make one online as you did because there are fees that are charged that we can not refund to you. I don't remember ever being rude or unkind to you and I am sorry that you felt like I was. I love what I do and taking care of my guests is my priority.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

“This place is awesome! Its smells like Waffles!” my boyfriend said upon our arrival. This waffle smelling haven of a B&B was a great fit for our visit to Moab over the Valentine ’s Day weekend. Nice and warm which is what we needed after hiking around in the snow packed trails all day. A plus that we enjoyed at this B&B was the memory foam topper on the bed. The owners were very pleasant and welcomed us in with open arms in to their historic home. Breakfast was very tasty! This place is ideal if you are staying in Moab and want something more out of your trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PhotoJAC

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will come back again very soon. We pride ourselves in the cleanliness and our outstanding food. Please come back for some more and tell all of your friends and family. Thank you again!!!
David & Kim
Cali Cochitta B&B "House of Dreams"

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I stayed as part of a girls weekend for 4 nights, and wish I could have stayed longer. If there were a 5-Star Bed and Breakfast, this would be it. I cannot say enough about the hospitality of Kim and Dave. We were lucky enough to have Dave prepare a private dinner for our group. It was top quality. The breakfasts were incredible! My only suggestion would be to have coffee available until later in the morning. I missed breakfast the first morning, but Dave was kind enough to brew another pot for me at about 10am.

My friends & I stayed in the Suite Cochitta. As the website said, this room is not recommended for 4 adults. The main room has a step by the door, which may be a problem for elderly or intoxicated guests. The second room has low ceilings, under a pitched roof. It would be perfect for children. I am 5'5" and stayed in this room alone. It was fine, although a bit cramped, but remember, this is a historic house that has been remodeled. Given that, the decor and attention to detail of the house and grounds is amazing. You really feel as though you are the guest of a wealthy pioneer settler!

Thanks again Kim and Dave. I can't wait to bring my family back to this lovely place!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank 44LovesTravel

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We loved having you come and stay with us and we look forward to many return visits. It was so much fun hosting the girls retreat, the dinner party and all of the other events that took place for the weekt. We had so much fun!

Please come back and stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We've stayed with David and Kim in 2008 and 2009 and will stay there again as soon as we can. This is the place you want to stay for riding the trails in Moab, so long as "roughing it" is not part of your plans. Wonderful rooms, service and best of all the morning communal breakfasts. You will not soon forget a stay at Cali Cochitta

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. Just choose the size you need.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank KokopelliFJ
CaliCochittaBandB, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Oh my...what a nice review. Thank you so much for coming to stay with us and your appreciation for what we do. We love that we met and exceeded all your expectations and will do our very best to do even better the next time. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Cali Cochitta means House of Dreams in the Indian language. A group of us from Hong Kong was taking a tour of the Canyon countries in the second half of September, 2012. We spent two nights at Cali Cochitta. Unfortunately or fortunately, one of us was having a flu, and as a result had to spend one whole day at the B&B. It was unfortunate because he couldn't go out with the rest of us to explore the Canyon landscape. It was fortunate in that he could spend ample of time to enjoy this place. He slept till 3.30pm after breakfast and began sitting in the garden waiting for others to come back. He took time to write the comments below in the guest book:

" We have been to many B&B in several countries such as UK, Australia and New Zealand. This place is really outstanding and unique. The setting and decor are very cosy and comfortable. The garden is fabulous. We spent a few hours one late afternoon sitting in the graden sipping tea. It was refreshing and relaxing. This place has opened our heart without having to use the key which hang in the middle of the garden. Usually we are not keen in having pancake as breakfast. We have now completely changed our mind after experiencing the pancake breakfast here. The operating and running of the place must have been done by people with a heart, passion and an appreciation of life. May God bless you all!"

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank mkwli

We were so touched to read your glowing review and that you felt so at home and comfortable especially when someone in your group was ill. Its difficult to be away from your home and be sick. That the person who was ill felt comfortable, safe and taken care of makes us so good. We hope you will all be able to come back and see us again very soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This sweet little spot, right in the heart of Moab was absolutely perfect. As someone who hopes to perhaps one day have my own B&B, I can say that I would want it to be just like this! Cute and classic aesthetic (no tired tchothckes), gracious and kind hosts, big delicious fresh breakfasts, great central location walking distance from food, yoga, and groceries, and a hot tub for the end of the night. It felt like I was visiting family. If you stay here make sure you ask David to make quiche- it was the best I've ever had- and ask Kim about the best spot for trail running. I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: The Cane room was lovely and spacious. They also have a suite upstairs with an attached room for a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Rebecca G
CaliCochittaBandB, Manager at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

We appreciate having you come and stay with us and we look forward to your return visit. We enjoyed meeting you and being able to spoil you for the 7 days you stayed with us. You also felt like family to us. Thanks for going trail running. It was fun to share the local secret spots and show off our beautiful area we live in. Your love of homemade fresh food made it so much fun to bring breakfast to the table each morning and see your reaction. Its always rewarding to hear peoples appreciation for our hard work and investment into the B&B remodeling and decorating. We so love what we do here...Thank you!! We look forward as we said before to your return.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I were in Moab for our honeymoon this past week and stayed at Cali Cochitta for 3 nights. It was outstanding!! The house is beautiful, the bed was one of the most comfortable we've ever slept in in our lives, the breakfasts were truly gourmet and substantial, and the innkeepers go above and beyond to make the stay just perfect. When we travel, we stay at B&Bs, and we've stayed at a lot of them around the country, and Cali Cochitta is top notch. Down to the very little details, this B&B is the place to stay in Moab.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Albrejas room and it was a little on the smaller side but it was perfectly cozy for...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mary L
1funinthesun, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you so much for this review. We greatly appreciate it and you! Its wonderful to have guests that understand and appreciate what we do and your kind words mean so much to us. Please come back and visit us again in the near future. Congrats on your marriage and have the happiest New Year!!