“A must do on your Moab adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of RedRock Astronomy

RedRock Astronomy
Ranked #32 of 91 things to do in Moab
More attraction details
Owner description: Don't miss your opportunity to view Moab and the surrounding area in its unique dark sky setting. SEE the stars & planets as you have never seen them before! COME ALONG with Alex as he shows you faraway galaxies, glittering star clusters, nebulae, & other breathtaking celestial sights with his high-powered telescopes and learning tools. Groups from 2-40, young & old alike, can share in this spectacular stargazing experience. Daytime solar viewing also available.
Portland, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A must do on your Moab adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

If you are planning a trip to the Moab area I highly recommend that you consider taking the astronomy tour with Red Rock Astronomy. Looking around through the many tours and excursions you can take in Moab, I found that most seem to now be run by corporations and the personal experience seems to be lost. That is certainly not the case with the Red Rock Astronomy tour. My guide Alex was very knowledgeable and extremely patient and open about sharing his knowledge with the whole group. I personally have a very basic understanding of the cosmos and didn't at any moment feel like what was being discussed was beyond my grasp. He starts his presentation with a brief history lesson of astronomy and telescopes in general and moves on to explaining how his telescope works as he starts to align it for viewing. We ended up staying out at the viewing site for about three hours. In that time, we were able to see about a dozen different celestial bodies including planets, moons, star clusters and the like. My personal highlight was being able to view Saturn (with it's rings) and a few of its many moons.

In closing, I have to say again. If you have any interest in the night sky, I highly recommend a Red Rock Astronomy tour. Not only is it an experience of a lifetime, it is one of the most affordable outings in Moab. Oh I almost forgot, they provide cookies, hot chocolate, blankets and a heater. It gets cold at night on the top of a mesa in the middle of the desert.

Thanks for reading my review. I hope it helps you and have a great trip to Moab. I can't wait to return myself.

I included a couple photos. They aren't the best, my exposures had to be so long, that you can see star movement. What you get to see through Alex's telescope is MUCH better.

Visited March 2012