“You people are too picky!”
Review of Apache Motel

Apache Motel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Moab
New York City, New York
“You people are too picky!”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night while doing a road-trip, and though we had read the previous reviews, we really wanted to live the John Wayne experience... And it was fun!
Yes, the place and the furniture are very old, and the TV could be black and white... but that's it! It is comfortable and clean, the wi-fi works well, and the staff is nice and friendly. Breakfast is just OK, but no worse than what we found in most of the motels we stayed in. I just considered it a bit pricey for what it is, but it's the cheapest you can find in the area. It's just and old place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SaraWalnut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cocoa, Florida
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We just took our Youth group to Moab for a week of Biking and Hiking. We found our stay to be quit pleasant. It was a great Home away from Home. The Staff was very accommodating, helping us find medical attention, pointing us in the right direction to get to our destination and lettings us park our trailer of bikes. Yes, the rooms are old but Hey John Wayne call it home when he made is movies there.

This is a perfect location you can Bike to Slick Rock, You are off the main drag and it is quite.

Room Tip: The front is on the road with the morning sun, The back catches the evening sun and quieter. The Tr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 2day4memories
USA
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The first thing you notice about your room is, well, you can't get into your room. My buddy and I spent five minutes trying each of our cards before returning to the desk. "You have to (blah blah blah, stand on your head and squawk like a chicken)". Back to the room, or at least the door. Another guest walks past, yeah, mine doesn't work either. Zip, green light, yank, damn. Repeat over and over. Finally, it randomly works.

The second thing you notice about your room is the musty smell, quickly followed by the big hole in the carpet, followed by the running sound from the toilet. Does the toilet even work? No, it doesn't. Pull off the tank lid, empty. Call the front desk - the toilet doesn't work. "Well, I can call the manager, but she'll have to come all the way across town". Well holy expletive, we wouldn't want the manager to have to drive ALL THE WAY ACROSS TOWN just because an $85 room doesn't have a functioning toilet (keep in mind this is Moab, and "across town" is about a mile at the most).

So you mess around with the toilet and finally get the flapper to settle in enough to fill up the tank, and flush. Then your buddy notices that the toilet is loose. You investigate, and laugh. Only two of the four bolts are used. Then you notice that the faucet in the shower is mounted about an inch away from the tile, and the tub actually squishes under your feet.

At one point, trying to get back in the room after dinner, the door handle comes off. I actually bruised my hand trying to get in the room, because I would not accept defeat in the regular "can we get back in our room" challenge. I got my card to work exactly once. So OK, I never mastered the trick of the quarter-second green light slam the handle down to get in your $85 smelly room thing, so it's probably my fault.

When you read that this motel is "off the main street", they don't tell you that it's ON the main street that everyone else uses to get through Moab. But that's not a big deal. It has a lovely view of the La Sal mountains, shimmering above the trailer park (which is for sale - buy your dream!). Our room had pictures of cowboys and Indians. The refrigerator kept the beer below room temperature. The bed didn't cripple me. I'm trying to be positive.

I was going to give this place two stars, just to not be nasty, but then I thought, what motel have I stayed at that was worse? and I couldn't think of any. But the bigger issue is, with all this tourist money literally flooding into Moab, why is it such a craphole?

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank kbbpll

Travelers are raving about these Moab hotels

Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed in the "Family Suite" (Room #47.) It was much less expensive than any other comparable room available at Moab for the very busy "Car Show" weekend. We paid $95/night for 3 of the nights, and $115 for the two Car Show nights.
The Highlights:
-Two HUGE rooms. The bed room had two queen beds and room for two roll away beds. (We didn't need to use the rollaways. But, they were stored right there with the Suite in a huge coat/gear closet.) I slept well on the beds every night. Bedroom had a large dresser and a big closet.
--Large, full size dining table, plus a "bar" with two barstools. Adequate kitchen with a small fridge (bigger than a dorm fridge, smaller than a standard fridge.)
--Large bathroom with a tub/shower combination. There was a large counter/cabinet/drawer unit for stashing lots of bathroom essentials. The sink was in the same room.
--New big-screen Sony TV and a DVD player. (We enjoyed the DVD player a lot.)
--Two new air conditioner/heater units, one in the bedroom & one in the dining/kitchen room. Both worked well and quickly and were relatively quiet. We actually needed both heat and air conditioning at different times during our stay.
--Great maid service. They found my daughter's tiny post earrings somehow!!!
--Large windows in both rooms.
--Off the main drag, so even on the NOISY Car Show weekend, we had peace and quiet at night.
--We saw several families enjoying the pool every evening. It looked clean and well kept. We didn't swim ourselves.
--We also saw families using the grill and picnic tables near the pool for a simple, tasty & economical dinner. (We just ate out at night.)
Drawbacks:
--Carpet was old and ready to be replaced soon.
--Breakfast was to be eaten back in the room-- not a problem for us since we had the big dining table. But, it would have been a little bit of a nuisance if I had to eat it sitting on my bed. (Crumbs!!!)
--Although the breakfast was not super duper, I was grateful that it was included because it was adequate and saved us time we would rather spend playing outdoors at Moab than going to a restaurant for breakfast. It included: waffles, danishes, and an assortment of dry cereal. Also, hot coffee, but we're not coffee drinkers, so I can't say about that....

All in all...I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: The Family Suite is perfect if you don't want to eat out all the time. And the rollaway beds ma...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Valerie S
Layton, Utah
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I can't quite give this place a 2 but doesn't deserve a 3. We had planned on camping but weren't able to get into a spot so had to spend our first night in a motel. I was looking for something budget friendly and compared to other places in town this was on the cheaper side. Sad what $80 in Moab gets you compared to downtown Salt Lake City.

Our room was clean but old and worn from the tube tv, dresser, chairs, bedspreads, etc. It did have a small microwave and fridge. In its defense it is very close to slickrock trail so it would be a good base camp for mountain bikers that aren't too picky. It has a large storage area in the room to store your bikes if you're not comfortable leaving them locked to your car.

It did have a clean heated pool that my kids loved. About half the pool furniture is old and in disrepair though and there were several cats roaming around the pool area too :(. I think they are motel cats because I saw a food and water dish that had been put out for them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PeakHealth
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I think we may have had an older room as I peaked in a room a few doors down and it seemed to be a little nicer. Our room, number 11, had an old tube tv and old dresser and everything in general was old. I guess it was clean but I have stayed in nicer for the same money in Moab. We paid $79 in April 2013. I should mention they have a pool that felt heated but we only had mid 60 degree temps and never tried it. They also have a breakfast where they make a bunch of waffles and set them out. They're not that fresh but I did try one and it was ok. They also have some store bought pastries and some "gas station" coffee. And some cereals with milk which I don't do cuz of dairy intolerance. I really have a hard time giving anyone such a low score because I like to give the benefit of the doubt and I can only imagine how hard running a motel must be. But they deserve it. Probably the best thing is this hotel is on the east side of town and I imagine you could ride to Slick Rock. However, someone said this motel is quiet and with all the traffic headed to Slick Rock, and others that avoid main street using the street out front, I just didn't find it quiet. That said, the climate box (AC/Heater) had a fan that drowned out the traffic at night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve_divez
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I wish reviewers would be more honest. This place was awful. Scary. The TV was so old it didn't even have any input connection capability. The "breakfast" was cereal with warm milk and cold waffles sitting under a paper plate. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family