“Great Campground...will go back the next time we're in Moab”

Moab Valley RV Resort & Campground
Ranked #2 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Moab
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at one of the covered tent sites at Moab Valley for 3 nights at the beginning of June, 2011. Bottom line: We'd definitely stay here again, and would consider checking out their cabins in the future too.

Perks:
1. Nice bathrooms, but they really could've used more than 1 cleaning a day
2. Great sites. Once the trees mature a bit more, it'll be even better! Each site has its own picnic table and (clean!) grill.
3. Pool and hot tub. Although they were always busy, both the pool and hot tub were big enough to accomodate without feeling overcrowded.
4. Secure grounds (also, we didn't find the highway noise nearly as bad as what we were expecting).
5. Friendly staff. They also had a great selection of items for sale in the office (toiletries, food, ice cream, other "oops! I forgot this" items)
6. The RV sites are separate from the tents.
7. About as close to Arches as you can get.

Hesitations:
1. The tent sites are REALLY close together. We were there mid-week, so the grounds weren't very full, but I can see busy weekends being a nightmare and a little too close for comfort.
2. See #1. One night there was a group that checked in around 2am. We could hear everything as they unloaded, filled up their air mattress, etc. I suppose that comes with the territory when you're in a tent.

Room Tip: go for the covered sites (vs uncovered)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank asmith826

Reviewed June 7, 2011

I would like to document an astonishingly bad experience I had with the Moab Valley RV Resort in Moab Utah. I wish to warn my fellow RV’rs to carefully consider if staying at this campground is a good choice. My visit to Moab was part of a “celebration trip” I was taking with my wife regarding her completion of a year of multiple surgeries and chemo treatment for advance staged cancer. The trip was challenging for her, however she focused on it during her treatments as motivation.

I made a reservation at this campground far in advance of my trip. I called two days before my reservation date to move our arrival up one day. I am confident I clearly explained what I was seeking, was told the change had been made, and I confirmed by saying “I would see them tomorrow”. When I arrived, I was told that I had no reservation and the facility was full. It was clear the “gentlemen” I was talking to had no interest in helping (he is the manager). After some additional discussion, he found my original reservation. He began to badger me to prove I made the call by showing him my cell phone history. I routinely erase the call history on my cell phone, so I could not do this. From the start, the tone of this gentlemen was highly accusatory and he was clearly predisposed that I was lying. He had no interest in accommodating me, he just wanted to drive the point I was at fault.

The conversation grew in intensity as I explained the background of the trip and my wife was sitting in the camper, on oxygen, and we needed a place to stay for the night. He offered that he might find me a spot, however again insisted I prove the call was made through my cell phone call record. I will admit to becoming highly energized at this individuals accusatory, indifferent attitude and the conversation progressed beyond where I would preferred it to have gone. The result was my deposit being refunded (minus a $10 cancellation charge).

I did find a site at another campground (Slickrock Campground). I explained my problem to the manager and he was very interested in helping me (many thanks to him). While parking my camper at Slickrock, the manager at Moab Valley called on my cell phone to inform me that he had looked further into the matter and that the original reservation was extended by a day (as opposed to being advanced by a day). I was baffled again by his attitude, his point was apparently to confirm I was wrong and he was right. He did not express any interest in resolving the matter or express any regret, just to convey this information.

My wife insisted on going back to the campground so she could inquire why the manager was so indifferent. A lady in the office admitted she took my call and made an error in changing the reservation. The manager quickly brushed her aside and took command of the conversation. He never acknowledged the mistake. It was apparent he was more interested in being in control. He continued his disrespectful attitude, telling my wife “let me draw you a picture”. He proceeded to draw a calendar, talking in a condescending manner to my wife.

RV’rs, have multiple choices where to spend their dollars. We have the right to expect reasonable courtesy, in particular when an error was made by the business. It is very clear to me that the manager of Moab Valley RV Resort displays a high degree of indifference and disrespect towards customers. I have never had an experience of this nature in my many years of professional and personal travel. Please consider spending your dollars elsewhere when visiting Moab Utah.

Room Tip: Go Somewhere Else!!
12  Thank barco96
ColoMtns, Manager at Moab Valley RV Resort & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2011

Sometimes mistakes happen. That is certainly the case here in which an additional day was added to the end of the reservation rather than at the beginning. Because we couldn't find his reservation on the day of arrival, we began to ask if he was at the right park - we're often confused for other parks. He said that he'd called the day before and talked to a man. I'm the only man that works in the office and I wasn't working the day of his call. He immediately put me on the defensive by telling me I was a liar as he started to check his cell phone. At that point it was difficult to talk to him simply because of the belligerent, disrespectful, foul-mouthed and voluminous manner in which he spoke. It is difficult to be accusatory, as he claims, when you’re in the wrong, as we were. He chose NOT to accept an alternate site I offered him. After leaving the property he called me and said he needed the pleasure of telling me he was going to ruin our reputation and continued to belittle me. I called him 30 minutes later to clarify the situation and attempt to resolve the issue because it upset me that something so terrible had happened. He returned to the office with his wife, not to see why I was indifferent, but to understand what had gone wrong with their reservation. She was very kind and understanding and, while disappointed, left with an understanding that it was simple miscommunication.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

This is the worst RV park I have ever been to. Very noisy (located just off the main highway with huge truck racing past), unclean showers and toilets, dog mess all over the place, frothy scum in the hot tub and very unpleasant unhelpful staff.
There are many RV parks in Moab- chose one of those. I cannot possibly recommend this awful place.

5  Thank chris1304
Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you are in a cabin or RV, you may have a totally different opinion, but I have never seen tent sites so close together. Basically you get a parking space and a 12' by 16' or so space to put your tent and with a picnic table. Picture a row of parked cars where every other space is taken up by a tent and you've about got it.

You have a to have a security card to get in and out of the campground. There is a large restroom/shower house, and a lot of other services that we didn't take advantage of due to our late arrival and crummy weather. The location is good, only a few miles down the road from Arches, so it met our needs for an overnight spot for our tent at the last minute, but not worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank stacytina
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I have tried to book here in the past, it looks so great from the road, but each time they were full so we stayed at Riverside Oasis instead. I much prefer Riverside Oasis even though the cabins are not as structurally as nice. The Economy cabins at Moab Valley are $10 a night more, have no TV, no indoor table or shelf, and can be quite aways from the restrooms. The table thing really bugged me, I did not like having to put my personal belongings on the floor. No trash can or water right outside the cabin, again depending on your cabin location, they can be quite a walk. Another thing I found disturbing was the lighting in the shower/restrooms. I get up well before dawn and get my shower out of the way. I walk in the dark to the showers then while showering the lights go out, scared the heck out of me, it seems they are on a timer. Great idea for saving energy but a motion detector would be better.
I would definitely stay there again but only if I rented a large cottage with water and a bathroom, otherwise I much prefer Riverside.
I should mention both are very clean and well cared for. As I said it was the little things that made the difference.

1  Thank cameraandeye
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I reviewed this place a year ago and I thought it was pretty good. Now not so much. It was bug central, we have our porch covered in all sorts of bugs. The bathrooms were not as clean and a new highway is being built RIGHT in front so all day there was construction and now traffic is even closer. We found bullet shells in our room and left over trash in the cabin also our blinds were really messed up. The biggest thing a group was partying all night long and no one stopped them. The lights in the group shelter did not work so the noisy neigbors turned on their truck lights to illuminate the area all night long.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank plastic_hippie
Reviewed June 15, 2010

2 nights spent here to visit national parks - 2 cabins for 2 couples - noisy air-conditioner but necessary due to little ventilation in tiny cabin. window blinds broken, very tight quarters in general. we were told at check-in there would be maid service - we returned the 2nd day after sight-seeing approx 6 pm - no service, dirty towels, lots trash. we asked in office -they said this was not usually done unless specifically requested - they told us to take our soiled towels to office to be exchanged but nothing else offered. at 10 pm our bathroom door became jammed/locked- no way to open and no other alternative for toilet/shower facility. we went to office ( no phones in rooms ) - closed and no emergency phone #. next morning we went to office - admitted no emergency contact # but said owners live on premises! no real solutions and lukewarm response from staff.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple