“Good, clean, safe place convenient for town access”

Canyonlands RV Resort & Campground
Ranked #5 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Moab
Campbell River, Canada
“Good, clean, safe place convenient for town access”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

The pros were this was great location to ride our bikes around town in evenings, it was very clean, friendly service, washrooms/showers nice and clean. Felt safe.

The cons? Pricey for being off-season ($40+), not aesthetically attractive, WIFI does NOT work...despite us being told we were the only ones with trouble.

Stayed March 2013
Mark D, Manager at Canyonlands RV Resort & Campground, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dianne,
Thank you for taking time to mention us here at Canyonlands Campground. We will continue to keep this a clean and family friendly park and we appreciate you noticing
We will also work to improve the other items you mentioned.
Thanks again for visiting us and we hope you come again,
Mark Divine
Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed next door @ Red Stone Inn for four nights & notices the beautiful, clean campground next door. We moved over on Friday night & stayed thru Monday am. It wasn't too noisy for a weekend. VERY family friendly, super clean, and excellently maintained! We really enjoyed the central locale and walked or rode our bikes everywhere. The WiFi was excellent (better than hotel). All in all a wonderful find in Moab! Well definitely be back... And save the $70 a night from the cost of a hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Norma M
Hi Norma,
All of us here at Canyonlands Campground thank you for your kind words about our park and staff..
Our goal is for every visitor to have an excellent experience and we are grateful you felt that way.
We will continue to strive to be the best and are looking forward to having you back soon!
Thanks again taking time to give us a review,
Mark Divine
Manager
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed for 2 days for $40 a night Full HU. Wifi included but never did work. Cigarette smell in restrooms from Gas Station, use other restroom not one by Station. Over priced for off season.
But a great location to walk into town.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank BrentfromPT
Carson City, NV
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The pros: it's in town, a short walk to the Brewery and an easy jaunt to the city bike trail where you can get to everything. It was very clean, showers were awesome, great play station for the kids and a creek area for the dog and kids to play in. FYI if you want to get to the city bike trail go down the dirt road near the dog run, go past the pavilion and follow the single track until it hits the paved trail. once past the high school if you make a left you will end up downtown, if you go right you will run into an awesome park for the kids, lots of fun.
The cons: it's loud, I had never been to Moab and did not realize how crazy the traffic is, 4 lane hwy, busy all day and all night. We were in an RV and the spaces are so tight that it is uncomfortable to sit outside on the table cause you neighbors are right next to you. Also, there is no fire ring nor would you want a fire as you might catch your or your neighbors RV on fire as they are so close. The marching band does start pretty early but I could hardly hear them through the RV, glad I was not in a tent.
Overall: if you want to be close to town this is a good spot, but you will not be having a camping experience, we actually left two nights early and grabbed a site up at sand flat, we could sit outside and have a campfire and have enough space for the kids to play outside within our campsite.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
los angeles
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed at Canyonlands Campground over the labor day weekend, renting one of the cabins. It was perfect for me. The cabin was spotlessly clean. The bunkbed was comfortable. The small fridge was a welcome surprise. The wifi worked every day I was there. The shared bathrooms were clean.

But here is what it was NOT. It was not a national park campground. If you want one of those, there are plenty around. Just go online and book well in advance. You can't stay at Canyonlands Campground, in the center of Moab, right on the main street, in the middle of restaurants and cafe's and bike stores and gas stations, and expect the same experience. And then complain.

It was a great place and price for me. I went hiking and cycling every day in the heat and then came back, grabbed some cheese and fruit at the excellent nearby grocery, and chilled out on the tiny cabin screened veranda. And one night I pulled a chair over to the edge of the property and watched the high school football game through the fence with a couple of beers. It was fine. Seriously.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Liberty, Utah, United States
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Worst Place I've stayed in EVER! and I am not a 5 star kind of traveler. When I went to check in I was the only person in the room except for the girl behind the counter. She didn't even look up at me. I was right in front of her so I know she knew I was there. After about 2 minutes of just standing there she glared at me and said YES?... I told her I just needed to check in. She charged me for an extra night and said there were no refunds. We had reserved a cabin. A 3 day weekend ended up costing me over $300 for the worst place in Moab. Then she put the papers in front of me and said nothing else. I figured we were done. She didn't even give me a key. I had to go back and talk to someone else just to get a key to my cabin.
The tents were about 2 feet apart. The cabins were TINY with two squeeky and very uncomfortable childerns bunk beds in them. If you have small childern with you you won't be able to move at all at night with out waking everyone up.
The cabins are barely a cars width apart. The tents were about 2 feet apart. You have to walk right through peoples campsites in order to get to the bathrooms. The RV's were crammed together with just enough room for a picnic table in between. The swimming pool was cold and right next to the Texaco and the main street. The whole site is gravel. I can't even imagine tenting on gravel! I did not see any kind of over head cover for tents as depicted in the picture above. It is located right behind a school and we could hear the marching band practice very loud and clear.
I love Moab and we had a blast there but this place was a dark cloud over a sunny trip. Stay in a hotel or camp some where else. You'll probably save money and have a much better experience!

Room Tip: Don't Bother!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank MCV745
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Tents
We had a nice space for our tents, but had expectations of having a shelter or roof to put the tent under - this was not the case. The space was small and we were practically squeezed in between two other sites divided by a picket fence, but it was a enough room for two.

Facilities
There were great bathrooms - very clean. There was also a nice pool, and place to wash clothes.

Location
We couldn't find the place at first, it is tucked behind a gas station in the middle of town. Very close to grocery store, nice distance from Arches.

Staff
I've read reviews complaining of the staff - I understood. There was a younger lady working when we arrived that was impressively abrasive, she seemed like she could care less about us or her life. We then avoided staff. When we checked out, there was a very friendly older woman - she was nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family