“A surprising gem in the middle of Moab”
Review of Bowen Motel

Bowen Motel
Ranked #17 of 35 Hotels in Moab
“A surprising gem in the middle of Moab”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The motel isn't much to look at from the outside, but the rooms were surprisingly spacious and quiet. The location was perfect, conveniently located next to restaurants, the laundromat, and shops of downtown. Everything was within easy walking distance. We had a room on the second (top) floor, so we were saved from having the squeakiness of the floor near the foot of the bed/bathroom over our heads. It was also a bonus that you could set the fan on the AC to run all night long to circulate the air and generate some white noise.

The shower was hot and clean, no freezing/scalding of old plumbing like we experienced with many motels on our trip in UT. The living area had a big 40" tv (which we never turned on), and two wonderful upholstered rocker-recliners (which we made much use of the day it rained and we stayed in to read and relax) like you'd buy for home. It also had a good wine-sized fridge and microwave in case you had leftovers or store-bought food you wanted to keep/reheat.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one on the second floor to avoid the noisy floor of the neighbors above you.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank artrips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This was our second visit to the Bowen. Not fancy but I loved the two recliners in the king room. Nice, spacious room, nice bed and TV. Mid sized fridge, not those puny, worthless mini fridges. Small coffee maker (4 cup) which slowed us down a bit - we drink a lot of coffee - had to go to the office for more coffee packets. The bike wash rack is a nice touch - thought about pulling my Goldwing motorcycle into it. Ginger was very friendly and nice. The floors make a lot of noise - fortunately, the folks upstairs didn't walk around a lot or late. Walk to shops and restaurants. Big trucks drive right past but the noise isn't bad inside the room. Didn't use the pool but it looked OK. No hot tub. Nice place.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs, go up to avoid foot step noise from above.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed J
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were clean. Updated bathroom. Nice TV and comfy king size bed. The lighting was very out of date and bulbs were burnt out. Rooms were very noisy. Our floor and floor above us was very squeaky. Over all I would stay here again

• Stayed May 2014
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had a really great stay for four nights at the Bowen Motel. I was in Moab to mountain bike and the room was large enough to fit my bike without it being in the way at all. They provide rags for bike cleaning/maintenance if needed. The hotel was full but not 'busy'. The location is fantastic; right in town and many restaurants, coffee shops and bike shops are a short walk away. Wifi was speedy. Good tv and channel selection in case you just want to chill some night. The room was clean and comfortable and the AC worked like a charm, albeit a bit noisy as most of those AC units are. Great place, reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Julie H
Cincinnati
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had to make a last minute change in my reservation during Spring Break and the only place with availability anywhere near my budget was the Bowen. I wasn't expecting much but I was certainly surprised. Yes, it's older but the room was kept up well and it was very clean. Yes, it was on US 191 but the motel was set back and on the North side of town so it got quiet at night. The room had a fridge and microwave and a heated swimming pool where we went and had a few beers with other residents. All in all this was a good experience even for my wife who is finicky about older motels.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Really? Why does this place still have the same beds, bed spreads, towels and bathroom from the 1970's? This is a dump. Will never stay here again. The only thing is location, and even that is MARGINAL because it is so doggone noisy with all the truck noise from Main St. and the antiquated AC/Heat units that your lack of sleep kills the convenience to be able to walk everywhere. Moldy ceilings, just blech. Avoid at all costs!

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Tyson L, Owner at Bowen Motel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
I have contacted the guest who wrote this review to verify if they really stayed at the Bowen Motel thinking they may have posted this review mistakenly, they claim yes. I am all for someone being able to state their own opinion but I do think this is completely inaccurate, I still doubt this is my facility. We remodeled the interior just under 2 years ago to modern standards and it is nowhere near “the 1970’s” the beds and A/C’s have been updated also. Look at the photos from us on Tripadvisor, our website and our guests and you will see that the reviewers’ descriptions don’t match. The road noise is minimal and I will check into the moldy ceilings, doubtful that is there either though.
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Managed to get the last room for the night. The price was not as low as others had mentioned but it was Spring Break and about 60% cost of the nearby Best Western. Service was friendly. There was no elevator so I had to take my suitcase up the flight of stairs. The location is downtown and there is a gas station kitty corner. The room is a typical motel room with a queen bed, tv, coffee maker and smallish bathroom. I have no complaints. While the tap water is drinkable, they do have filtered water available in the office. Moab is not that big so it was close to most things. Parking was also adequate. Although it was Spring Break, I did not hear much noise from my neighbours. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo