“Another great visit!”

Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 4, 2006

I had another opportunity to visit Sorrel River Ranch but this time in March. With snow still on the ground, the fireplace in our room was most inviting. In fact, I recommend B-4. It overlooks the river and has a wonderful wood-vaulted ceiling.

Breakfast is served on the ranch-side with a far view of the mountains. Dinner is served overlooking the Colorado River and mountains. The views don't get better than this! The food was delicious with very attentive waitstaff.

The resort has been busy during the winter. A new playground with plenty of room for little ones to swing, climb and slide has been added and a porte cochere was being built.

Think again, if you think the Moab area is just for summer. The weather was perfect for hiking and the National Parks were peaceful. When you can cuddle up in front of a fireplace and soak in a claw tub/spa at the end of the day, you'll see that Spring has its advantages.

3  Thank TXLadyHouston
There are newer reviews for Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa

SLC, Utah
Reviewed April 1, 2006

I found the scenery to be amazing. The views are outstanding. Unfortunately, a lot of the staff are quite cold and don't seem to want to be bothered. Not very good customer service.

I can't say enough about the beautiful landscape but don't expect much from the staff. The food is average but I'm sure that it's difficult to get fresh produce since it's somewhat isolated.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded May 23, 2006

We consistently receive rave reviews regarding the friendliness, helpfulness and genuine warmth of our staff. Many our guests go out of their way to praise and thank our staff members. Year after year, repeat guests look forward to being welcomed back by their favorite staff members.

I stand behind my staff and invite this reviewer to contact me so that I can refund his/her stay in full as per our Satisfaction Guarantee.

It is interesting that we have never been taken up on this offer. If this reviewer actually did stay with us I invite him/her to be the first one to receive a full refund. I also invite all Trip Advisor users to contact me directly with any questions or doubts about the level of our service or amenities at our Resort. I am always available by phone or email.

Robert Levin
Owner/Proprietor
Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa

District of Columbia
Reviewed March 24, 2006

Great place. Beautiful grounds, exquisite room, friendly, accommodating staff. Wasn’t sure what to expect, but it seems there’s really nothing like it in the area. Just a bunch of chains and cheap motels. The other place you could stay is the Red Cliffs Motel, which also has a nice location on the river. But if you want more luxury stay at Sorrell River Ranch. Our river side room was huge and a good value. You definitely get what you pay for. I wouldn’t stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed March 23, 2006

I cannot believe some of the last reviews! I have been a many time repeat guest (10+ times) to Sorrel River Ranch throughout my many visits to the Moab area over the last 5 years. I have **never** experienced (or witnessed) a situation that the staff did not go out of their way to bend over backwards to accommodate the guest, and smile while they did. I have met the entire management staff; all are very cordial and professional. Each always personally ensured that we were taken care of. And they could be reached at a moments notice if something was not right with our stay.
This is a 4-Diamond **Resort** here folks. Sure, you pay a bit higher rate than the competition, but, you are not only paying for incredible rooms (I highly recommend the Spa Suite!) surrounded by the most jaw dropping views imaginable; you are paying for superb, attentive service! Sorrel River Ranch provides incredible guest service. In my many travels, worldwide, good service is hard to find, it is readily available here in the USA at Sorrel River Ranch. I could not imagine the management would allow the services of a luxury resort to slip; ever.
I love tripadvisor, because they allow the "truth" to be heard about a hotel before spending your money on it. But I have noticed that many of the other hotels on this site get hammered with negative postings. Many seem very absurd and senseless (like the ones below). I am wondering if those negative postings are from real guests or not.
Anyways, If you are looking for the **truth** take it from me, a repeat guest,

Sorrel River Ranch Resort (and spa) is ***truly the #1 hotel in Moab.***

Accept no substitutes.
I think you all should take the advice from one of these postings, and go say hi; I think you will be astounded at the setting and the friendly service. Say hi to Matt for me.

• Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 6, 2006

I've never been treated so rudely in my life. The atmosphere is decieving. You arrive at a beautiful well groomed secluded ranch. But as soon as the hired help begin talking to you, you soon realize that you are there to be pushed around, talked down to, and in general, you are there for them - they are not there for you. I said that the service was less than we would have expected and was told that the area is "rural" and good help is hard to find. (by some kid that professed to be the assistant manager)

You have to park a mile away from the cabins which is a bit rediculous. At 9:00 PM we were called and asked if we could turn off some lights.. it was bothering people that were walking in front of our cabin.

Dinner was ok, but certainly not worth the crappy way that the staff treated us. In this entire place the staff treated us as if we were a nuisance and it was made clear to us at all times that we could have gone to a lot of other places. Well guess what, we'll never stay here again. Terrible, just save your money on this place. If you must, drive by and look at it, take a tour of it so that you can see how you are treated, but for goodness sake, stay somewhere else that you can feel warm and invited.

Stayed: February 2005
28  Thank rmadison12
Management response:Responded May 23, 2006

This review is a complete and utter fabrication and the person who submitted this review NEVER stayed at our resort. The letter is laden with erroneous and inaccurate information and I would like to point the most obvious out:

1. Our parking lot is 700 ft. from the farthest room, not one mile (5280 ft.) The purpose is to ensure that the grounds are pedestrian friendly. We also offer valet service to all guests and maintain a fleet of golf carts so that we may offer rides anywhere on the resort to those people who prefer not to walk.
2. We do not employ “assistant managers.”
3. How could we possibly ask a guest to turn off their lights? And who would complain about another guest’s lights being a bother? This is absurd.
4. As a Small Luxury Hotel and as Conde Nast Johansens Recommended Resort; as the winner of the World Travel Award for “Rockies’ Leading Resort” (2004 & 2005) and “Rockies’ Leading Spa” (2004); as a recipient of the AAA Four Diamond Award for four years running (and the ONLY Four Diamond resort in Moab), we hold our staff and our service to the highest standards. In fact, we are the only resort in the area that offers a Satisfaction Guarantee: we will gladly issue a 100% refund to any guest who stays with us and feels that we fail to meet their expectations..

As obviated by the fallacies in the review, I believe the “Trip Advisor Member from Arizona” has never stayed with us. This review is undoubtedly a malicious attempt to slander our excellent reputation.

If you did indeed stay with us I encourage you to contact me directly for a full refund.

Robert Levin
Owner/Proprietor
Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 25, 2006

Nothing can match the vistas of Castle Valley, Fisher Tower, the Colorado River. Staff was friendly and very helpful. We were disappointed that the hot tub wasn't open -- even in shoulder season, we felt we were paying a pretty high rate for room and dining. Dinner was superb; breakfast not so much. But we will recommend it to our friends and family.

6  Thank farmerswife3590
Kailua-Kona, HI
Reviewed January 29, 2006

We just returned from a stay at the Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa in Moab, Utah and it was magnificent! We're from Hawaii and beautiful surroundings are an everyday thing, so it was very surprising for us to be so blown away by the beauty of the Resort and its location. We had some idea from the pictures and reviews we saw online, but of course that's only a hint of the experience you get when you arrive.

The resort is small and intimate and you really feel special thanks to the staff and just the fact that it's uncrowded. We loved the restaurant and I loved the spa (pedicure and facial). We took two trips into Arches National Park - thanks to Matt for expert advice on what to see in a short amount of time.

The rooms are sublime. Beautiful decorations and a really comfortable bed. Absolutely a "don't miss" when it comes to a relaxing vacation. We can't wait to come back and try river rafting.

• Stayed: January 2006