“In a breath-taking, peaceful setting, an exquisite, world class hotel!”

Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“In a breath-taking, peaceful setting, an exquisite, world class hotel!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

The Colorado River flows gently along the extensive property - with dramatic red rock formations on all sides. No other hotels or businesses in site. Sorrel River Ranch offers a tranquil respite from a busy, noisy world.
Rooms are very comfortable. Mine faced the river (two steps away) and I enjoyed morning coffee on the rocking chairs or swing on my porch before heading to the restaurant for breakfast. I opted to sit outside on the deck near the river each evening - so peaceful and such delicious food, including local meat and veggies grown at the Ranch.

Many daily activities are available - besides the pool and jacuzzi. I enjoyed river rafting and horseback riding, set up by the staff. Of course, hiking at The Arches and Canyon lands National Parks was a highlight. The hotel offers guided tours, but I opted to explore on my own.

The staff at the Ranch were exceptionally gracious, helpful and unhurried. Best service anywhere I've been. They take care of you, always with a smile - from the front desk to the restaurant, etc., everyone was very nice.

Traveling alone, I enjoyed speaking to some of the guests - from Netherlands, Belgium and Germany who were on family trips exploring Utah's and Arizona's national parks.

Very highly recommended, I plan to return to Sorrel River Ranch next year - again during the Moab Music festival in September.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Colorado River are especially nice - the view and peaceful feeling are exceptional
Green Features: Very impressive - hotel has garden to table vegetables, notices about conserving water by using towels more than once (optional). Low lighting at night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PeggyAnnG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We wanted somewhere romantic to celebrate our annerversary and this place was perfect! The views are beautiful from every corner of this hotel. The rooms and spacious, clean and lovely. The staff are nice and attended our needs. The restaurant served fresh delicious food. The hotel can set up activities for you too. Make sure you book a room with the river view. The river is so close you could hear it if you kept the door open. There is a firepit outside the main lobby which you can ask them to light for you if you want to have a romantic dessert under the stars. This place is just beautiful!

• Stayed October 2012
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I drove past Sorrel River Ranch back in 2004, while on vacation with my kids and swore I'd be back to stay. During that time and now, I did loads of research on the ranch, including reading a gazillion reviews. I was a bit hesitant to book because there were a few negative reviews, but the setting is so unbelievable that I thought I'd take my chances.

So, my husband and I decided to stay a couple nights as part of our honeymoon--it would be the first leg of a journey across the country, into California and up the coast--and quite honestly, we were on the look out for bad service. Our experience there, however, was nothing but PERFECT. The service was impeccable and every staff member we had the opportunity to meet was friendly, courteous and helpful. Roberto showed us to our room (thanks Roberto!) and Dani, who led us on our horseback ride through the desert was incredibly nice (thanks Dani!). We had dinner at the hotel--prices were what you would expect for fresh, farm to table foods, prepared by a top chef--the food was DELICIOUS (we were worried about this because of a few older reviews that complained about food, but, I'm not sure what the heck these reviewers were talking about!) I had the salmon and my husband had the steak-- both were amazingly good, fresh and priced accordingly. Breakfast was the same. Everything was fresh, delicious and of course, you're eating on the bank of the Colorado River with red rock buttes surrounding!

As for the room, they are all cabins and every one of them has a great view. Not sure you can go wrong. Ours faced the river and, aside from a rather large cottonwood tree blocking the full view, the scene was truly beautiful. The room was immaculate, the bathroom with tub and separate shower were well appointed. And the bed was comfy.

Lastly, the drive to and from this resort is on Highway 128, which runs along the Colorado River. It is the most stunning, scenic drive you'll ever take in this country. The drive alone is worth the stay. And when we left the ranch, we ordered "breakfast to go" and received two little lunch totes (you can save them and bring 'em home to the kids!) with yogurt, granola, an apple, etc.

All in all I have nothing negative to say about Sorrel River Ranch. My experience was a great one and we hope to return again and again. We highly recommend this place not only for its vistas, but it's accommodations and service as well. Thanks!

Room Tip: All the rooms have great vistas; you can't go wrong, but ask for a riverfront cabin so you exper...
Green Features: Utah is a desert state = highly conservative with water use. And while a "luxury" resort isn't exactly environmentally friendly, I think Sorrel River does their best: grow their own foods, also serve sustainable, fresh caught meats and fishes.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A group of friends and I were staying in Moab and wanted to spend the day at a spa resort. The staff at the Sorrel River Ranch couldn't have been more accomodating. Evan booked our massages, we were served drinks and food at the pool and the staff ran around finding books for us to read. I had an excellent massage by Tamara. The services are a little pricey but, worth it. The only sad part of the day was having to leave. Hopefully, we will be back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Most of what makes Sorrell a great stay is the location whereas the property itself is very good but not excellent, and certainly not at the price. It's a small property but it had a surprisingly institutional feel (perhaps because it is now run by a chain). It is an expensive, luxury hotel fitted out to look like a rustic ranch planted among some of the most spectacular scenery you will ever see.

Activities: we made the mistake of not having our own car. We took a car transfer to the ranch but this meant that we were stranded there and completely reliant on the hotel shuttle ($50 each way to Moab, the nearby town) and the activities desk, which is staffed by friendly people but the excursions are eye-wateringly expensive. A 3 or 4 hour trip into one of the nearby parks will cost you well over $100 per person. Worse, their revenue model is based on a minimum of 3 people on each excursion, so if you are only a couple you will also have to pay the price for the additional passenger, which means the price can be closer to $200 per person. And the guides are of variable quality; I was with a group of friends and we compared notes: some guides gave different groups completely different information / answers to the same questions. If I were to do it again I would have my own wheels and do the parks on my own. The activities desk is for people with more money than sense. Also, it is good to have your own car to be able to go into Moab for dinner (and some amusingly tacky shops), as the food at the ranch is fine and but I tired of it quickly. And it, too, is relatively expensive.

Sports: There are many mountain bikes available for use on nearby roads and trails and we loved that (especially as we had limited means of escaping the resort itself). There is a small gym room, basketball hoops, a ping-pong table, a comfortable pool, tennis courts and nice paths along the river for a bit of a walk.

Rooms:  The accommodations have a rustic design look but all the modern conveniences are built in. You will not be roughing it in the least. Our room faced the Colorado River and the dramatic mountains directly but the majestic mesas and mountains are all around the property so there really is not a bad view to be had. Some have larger front porches than others – we really enjoyed sitting on our porch in the early mornings and evenings.  It's the best living space you have.

Room Tip: Some have larger front porches than others - it's the best part of your living space. Ask when y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank superdeluxe
Nyc
Reviewed August 27, 2013

A well run property. We stayed in a River room that was very large and rustically comfortable and elegant.

It is a long drive from Moab but being near majestic buttes and Mesa make the setting magical. Try and go when there is no moon as the sky is ablaze with stars. We sat out on our porch with a bottle of wine late in the evening.
This was our third stay and we will return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Highly recommended for the friendly staff, delicious restaurant and fantastic location. 30 minutes outside of Moab, Utah, the Sorrel Ranch is a perfect located to explore Canyonlands, Arches National Park and Mesa Verde National Park. The drive to the ranch from Moab is an experience in and of itself. It is a working ranch in a beautiful valley surrounded by gorgeous cliffs and mesas. They have plenty of activities for children, including horseback riding, rafting, biking, tennis and hiking. Room are extremely comfortable with kitchenettes and porches overlooking the Colorado River. The best hotel in Moab, Utah.

Room Tip: Second floor accommodations have a lovely balcony overlooking the Colorado River, cliffs and mesa. Y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family