Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Inca Inn(Moab)
View Hotel
All reviewspetting zooriver viewfarm to tablehorseback ridingporch swingtennis courtsfamily suitearches national parkfour seasonswestern stylespectacular settinghummer tourrock formationsred cliffsnatural beautybeautiful propertyamazing location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our family just returned home from a 5 night stay at Sorrell River Ranch. While there we went on a scenic trail ride, river-rafted for a half day on the Colorado River, and went on a guided tour designed by our adventure concierge, Tyler, to see rock art and dinosaur fossils in the Moab area. In addition, we did 3 days of hiking in nearby Arches National Park, again with our guide, Tyler, who was incredibly knowledgable about the history, geology and art in the area. The equestrian center head wrangler, Emily, was equally professional and service oriented, retrieving my husband's camera after it fell out of his pocket on a long trail ride. While a stay at Sorrell is pricey, we found it well worth it and we hope to return again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for the "mountain view" if you want to see the spectacular red rock mesas in the area. The "river view" looks out on the Colorado River which is nice too.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The setting is beautiful, rooms are very nice and reception was not to bad but that is where it stops. For this price you do not get asked if you can be assisted with luggage, it should just happen!. You also should not go back to reception to get another card to get into you room. The food was not impressive and again it is the price that adds a bitter taste to it coupled with service that could be better. I got the feeling the more you pay the less you get. We enquired about a river view room and that is even more expensive. It is not that the place was fully booked.

The one night here was part of a 30 night trip around the world. We stayed in hotels in USA, UK, New Zealand, Singapore, Amsterdam, Istanbul and Dakar that ranged from cheap to very expensive and this was by far the worst value for money we got THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hein_Ria
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I made the mistake of booking this place based on the beautiful pictures on their website without reading any Trip Advisor reviews (ironically the only hotel I did that with on our 3 week road trip). While it was a beautiful property with spacious, well appointed rooms, the overall experience was unfortunately very mediocre as compared to the considerable price we payed. We expected a first class luxury experience but were greeted with an awkward young staff who basically made us feel no confidence in the way the place was being run. The property was also fairly large and spread out which made it feel more like a vacation rental rather than a hotel.

Upon our arrival, I was luke-warmly greeted by a girl at the check-in counter. I asked her if the only way to walk from one side of the property to the other was via the road. She said yes (which I quickly learned was incorrect since there's a path along the river) and she said, a bit snidely, that they could pick us up to take us to the main area if we wanted. I then asked if there was a menu for the restaurant in our room to which she replied yes, there's a room service menu. I then said, no, I said for the restaurant, at which point another woman said I could have one of the restaurant menus to take with me. When we get to the room however, I looked high and low for the in-room menu that the check-in girl claimed was there only to not find it. I called the front desk, and was then treated to the whispers of at least 3 people trying to determine where the booklet might be until finally they said they would just bring us one. It was all very comical and not at all what I would expect from a place that claims to be a luxury property.

The awkwardness continued for our entire stay and was mostly present in the dining experience. Our first dinner we waited at least 10 minutes for water (which was being poured by the hostess who was greeting customers downstairs and also watering tables? Makes no sense) and our waitress, though nice, was so nervous that she actually over poured my husband's water glass until water was running off the table. Was she looking at a butterfly? The food at least was decent for this meal.

The next morning we tried breakfast, which was a disaster. My husband ordered french toast, which claimed to come with butter (makes sense). When it arrived there was no butter, nor anything else on the plate to garnish or at all improve the appearance. When he asked for butter, the waiter brought him a slab of butter covered with black sea salt. At breakfast? Clearly someone isn't thinking. I tried the eggs benedict which arrived with hardly any hollandaise and when I asked for a side of it I was treated to a small ramekin of ice cold sauce. In all my years of dining, that was a shocking first. I told the waiter that it was cold and should never be served that way. He asked if he should bring me a warm one and I said no, having lost my faith entirely and eaten half my breakfast. I was also treated to a lemon seed in my dish and the eggs tasted so much like vinegar that I couldn't finish them. Really really terrible. The waiter kindly removed the dish from our bill, but that's not the point. That kind of food should never be served at a place you're paying over $500 a night. And did I mention that on every table in the dining room sat a completely dried and dead orchid?

There is clearly no one managing this place. It's quite unfortunate that such a beautiful property ends up being such a bad experience all due to the staff. We were on a 3 week road trip and stayed in every kind of accommodation and what we left our experience with was that the thing that truly makes the difference at a hotel are the people. We stayed at a tiny bed & breakfast run by two people and experienced 10 times the hospitality, warmth and quality that we had at Sorrel River Ranch. When you stay at a hotel, the staff become your new neighbors and if you don't like the neighbors, well, it sucks. When you run a luxury hotel, you cannot staff it with 19 year-olds who don't know the first thing about luxury. I understand this is a struggling property now being run by a large hospitality company (having been sold by an independent owner who had put his heart and soul into it) based upon my one conversation with a staff member who had been there long enough and seemed invested enough to care about the experience, however by hiring the cheapest help possible, and then not training them at all, they will only be running this place more quickly into the ground.

I sincerely hope they can turn things around. It's not a good feeling to regret having spent $2000 on a 3 night stay which is unfortunately how we feel. This was our honeymoon and this was supposed to be our big splurge and unfortunately it was not even close to worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river feel very private and have lovely porches. They are pricier but worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Anna H
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I wanted so badly to be able to give this property more than an Average rating but I simply can't. The views were gorgeous but everything at this property is overpriced. Especially the food! We ate at the Ranch twice (breakfast and dinner) and were disappointed both times. I had a mediocre chicken dish that was worth no more than about $16...we paid $28. My husband had a fish dish that was ok, at best. Nothing special. I have been to similar places with exceptional food and service. Unfortunately, in this price range, this place should have been outstanding in both food and service.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Coloradobumpskier
Tom B, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I apologize that you did not receive the value expected. Our management team in the restaurant works hard to meet and exceed expectations and I'm sorry that this was not the case during your stay. Please know that your feedback is important to us as we always strive to improve. I invite you to contact us directly to discuss any other specifics of your experience. Thank you again for the feedback.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I found Tom, the manager, to be most attentive and accommodating. We even got an upgrade to a suite with a better view of the mesa (if you want to know - book the River View Family Suite instead of the Mountain View Suite for the better view.) Wonderful hospitality!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cindy K

Thank you Cindy! The pleasure is ours in serving you!