“ULTIMATE RETREAT”

Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed there last week and the experience was AMAZING!!! My room faced the Colorado River and it felt good to be in total peace and quiet while sitting on the porch. The view from my room looked like a beautiful painting. The cabins were spacious and I loved the rustic decor. I had my FIRST horseback riding experience and it was wonderful. Dani was great with the horses and an excellent guide. She made me feel so comfortable with my horse 'Imp'. I also had a facial with Shelly and she was fantastic. She was very friendly and thorough. Dinner was a bit slow, but I was in a party of 10 so I understand the delay. The truffle fries are my fave!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the river.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephanie D
Tom B, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Stephanie, thank you so much for these kind words. I'm delighted that you were able to enjoy your time with us and experience all that Sorrel River has to offer. Dani, Shelley and our team will be very pleased to hear about your experience. Thank you, and if your travels bring you this way again, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel and experience was all around no better than OK, which was very unexpected for the premium price we paid.

I've stayed at similarly billed hotels in similarly beautiful settings and you still get a lot more for $500+ a night, especially considering that all the activities were extra. $70 per person for a guided hike seemed exorbitant.

I imagine some of the high price goes to keep up the extensive grounds and livestock, but to reap the benefits of these was further incremental expense.

Similarly the dinner was really just okay (though I appreciated the local ingredients) and the service was terrible. The first go at our mixed drinks were undrinkable and the second round didnt come til after we finished dinner. The required 18% gratuity added insult to injury (and I almost always tip generously).

Again, the hotel room was comfortable, the setting admittedly beautiful, but for someone who is okay splurging on a very nice hotel, I didn't think we got our money's worth.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DG400

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We strive to make every one of our guests feel comfortable and excited about our wonderful property. I'm very sorry that this was not the case for your stay, and that the foodservice and drinks were not up to our standards. By bringing your concerns to my attention, you offer us a valuable opportunity to improve our services, and for this I and my team are most grateful.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Earlier this month I spent 6 nights here while hiking with a small group in the nearby national parks. This 160 acre property is really beautiful and is in a fabulous location on the Colorado River at mile 17 of Highway 128, about 20 miles from Moab city center. That said, there are significant service problems, which just should not occur at this very high price point.

According to their online press kit fact sheet, "Sorrel River Ranch features 55 cabin-style and pet-friendly guest suites outfitted with authentic Southwestern décor, hardwood floors, log-beamed ceiling, kitchenettes, and views of the Colorado River or La Sal Range. Other amenities include custom handcrafted furnishings, top-quality linens and bath 2 accessories. Luxury suites offer hydrotherapy bath spas, separate glass showers and spacious sitting areas. Wireless Internet service is available throughout the ranch."

My room, E-6, had a mountain view from a quadplex building. Each room in the rectangular-shaped 4 room building occupied 1 corner of the building and had a covered porch with a wooden porch swing. The 2 larger river view rooms on the other side of the building also had a table and chairs on their porches.

My room had hardwood floors in the living and sleeping areas, and slate tile floors in the bathroom. The lav top was ceramic tiled. The walls had a rustic wood wainscoting and the living and sleeping areas had tall wooden ceilings.

The sleeping area took up most of the floor space and contained a king bed, 2 bedside tables and lamps, a corner TV stand with a small flat panel TV with limited channels.

The kitchenette area had a large tile-topped web bar with a coffee maker and supplies, a microwave and a below counter mini-fridge. It also contained various plates, glasses and flatware for 2 people. The counter contained various-sized drawers which were mostly empty except for the flatware.

Along the long wall of the kitchenette area was a built-in wall unit that contained dual closets and chests of drawers with plenty of storage space.

Along the window wall of kitchenette area was a round table and 2 chairs which would work OK for morning coffee, but I found the room lacking a comfortable seating area for reading or watching TV. The larger river-view rooms in my building did have a nice seating area in addition to the kitchenette table and chairs.

Two things seemed out of place in my room and were both in the bathroom. The tub/shower combination consisted of a one-piece plastic unit. I am sure this cuts down on maintenance, but it seemed oddly out of place with the other higher quality building materials in the room. Also, the shower curtain rod was the old fashion straight rod instead of the much more functional curved rod.

The bathroom amenities were first class, consisting of various nice orange-scented Tarocco creams, shampoo, conditioner and bath wash along with large and small hard soaps. There was also had an abundant supply of thick soft hand and bath towels, and washcloths. There were also 2 thick soft bathrobes for guest use in one of the closets.

The room was very well lighted with both natural light from 3 large windows on 2 walls during the day and from the lighting fixtures at night. It was also very quiet and I never heard anyone in the other rooms. The wifi in the room was very spotty, but there are 2 fast desktop computers in the main lodge building for guest use. In all, except for the seating in the room, I was very happy here.

Now comes the bad - in my opinion SRR's signature restaurant, The River Grill, does not do justice to either the overall property or the price point (high) of the menu items. Not even close! I had 4 dinners here.

The first night my halibut was excellent and well prepared, which gave me great expectations for trying other menu items.

The next night I tried the salmon, which I ordered medium rare. It came, however, fully well done and was tough and tasteless, but I suffered through it and ate it anyway as we had a table of 13 and sending it back would have left me far behind my fellow diners. Also, the salad I ordered never came. I did not make a big deal about it as I figured any kitchen can have a bad night, but I did mention it to our waiter.

The third night I went back to the halibut as it was so good the first night, but when it came it was way overcooked and tough as an old shoe. I did not eat it and asked our waiter to take it off our bill.

The fourth night, I tried the salmon again. It did come medium rare as ordered, but everything on my plate was cold when it came. I ate it anyway as I was hungry and I didn't want to wait.

So I had 3 bad dining experiences out of 4. So much for The River Grill!

About a mile back toward town is Red Cliffs Lodge. I had 1 dinner there and it was very good and their menu is much less expensive than SRR's. There are also lots of restaurants in town to choose from, Pasta Jay's being one of my favorites, but you are looking at a 40 mile round trip for dinner from SRR.

Because we were hiking all day, every day, I did not get the chance to use the other facilities at SRR so I can not comment on the pool, hot tub, spa or equestrian center. For me it was just the room, which was good, and the dining, which was a huge disappointment.

On my checkout day, I asked to speak to a manager about the problems I experienced and visited with Front Office Manager Tom Bradley about them. Tom was very concerned and took notes but he is the only one I interacted with at SRR that seemed like they knew what they were doing. Other than Tom, my experiences at SRR left me feeling like it was amateur hour on the personnel side.

At the price points this hotel and restaurant are charging I can not recommend this property based on my experiences with what I believe are insufficient numbers of properly experienced and trained staff.

You can't have a premier property, and charge premium prices, and not have sufficient numbers of experienced and properly trained staff, which is most likely why SRR is only rated #13 on TripAdvisor, while their next door neighbor, Red Cliffs Lodge, is rated #1.

The vast majority of travellers to Moab will be better off staying in town from both a price and convenience standpoint.

My individual category ratings below averaged out to 3.16, so I rounded my overall TripAdvisor rating to 3 (average) of the 5 available.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank AustinWhitewater
Tom B, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Austin Whitewater,
Thank you for this very thoughtful and fair review of our property. I'm pleased that you found your lodging comfortable. Regarding the restaurant, it's disappointing when we do not measure up to expectations, but this only doubles our resolve to improve. Thank you for the personal compliment, and please know that food and service quality have been a top priority since we changed our menus on 5/8. We are all encouraged by the feedback since then. Thank you again for taking such care with this review and for your candid and valuable feedback.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

For the price, this resort needs to step up service quality! Our room was very nice, comfortable, kitchenette, great view of the Colorado River. Unfortunately, the floor grate for the air conditioning rattled loudly every time the A/C clicked on, so we finally just turned it off. The main problems were with staff service level. We ate dinner at the nicer restaurant on site our first night: very limited wine list and they were out of what we ordered, no soup spoon for the soup ordered, very fatty short ribs were about half inedible, entrees delivered to wrong individuals (the restaurant was not at all crowded). The hike we had scheduled prior to arrival was confirmed as two hours, but the guide thought it was three-three and a half; he was terrific and accommodated our needs (we had a 60 mile bike ride the next day and didn't want to do too much before it). The whitewater river rafting we also scheduled prior to arrival was fantastic, through Western River Expeditions - although they picked us up a half our later than the front desk told us they would. For dinner our second night we called the front desk and asked if there was a lighter, more casual restaurant option on site, and were told the bar offered a tapas and pizza menu, so we headed there. The manager told us they did not offer tapas, just the upstairs, more formal menu we had seen the night before in the other restaurant. He offered us the lunch menu and we were able to order off that - delicious burgers. We cancelled our last outing scheduled through the hotel because they were unable to confirm it or let us know if the option we wanted was even available. There were no hand towels in two different restrooms in the main lodge. And there is no soundproofing in the guest cabin we were in -- you could hear every footfall, every toilet flush, from the unit above us. The very best aspect of our stay was the massage from Shelley after the bike race - she was terrific, and adjusted to what I needed when we confirmed that, again, the front desk had reserved the wrong service. We would not pay the premium price for this resort again.

Room Tip: Ask about soundproofing!!! River view porches are lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Penny N

Dear Penny,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Although I am glad that you enjoyed some aspects of your visit, I must apologize for the confusion and frustrating service levels. There most certainly are not up to our standard, and your review will renew our focus on these areas. Shelley will be most gratified to receive your compliments and we will all work harder to achieve that level of satisfaction in all aspects of the Sorrel River Ranch.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The connecting rooms we had were beautiful. The view, the quietness. The coffee pot in our room had a thick layer of fungus on the bottom, fortunately I looked into it before I filled it up with water. Obviously nobody had cleaned it for a long time. In the evening we went to have a drink at the bar and not even one nut was served with a bottle of beer and a glass of mediocre wine for together 23 USD. We asked the waiter and he told us they serve nothing with drinks. The quality of wine served by glass is not convincing. The quality of the food was good, but the service unacceptable, there was a guy slouching his shoes when he was walking, almost throwing the cutlery on the table and making an unfriendly face. Unbelievable in such an expensive resort, the staff does not seem to be trained. In the morning we waited and waited and waited for our breakfast. At the check-in we were told that on the next day there will be no horsebackriding as all the wranglers were out to get new horses. Pitty, because that was all the kids and us wanted to try. The pool is really small, the hottub was broken, so what for is the resort fee? Not acceptable in this price range. The resort is unfortunately understaffed and overpriced.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Patausz

Thank you very much for providing us with this valuable feedback, as this is most helpful towards our goal of continuous improvement. I sincerely apologize that your experience was less than excellent, and that several items concerning promtness and cleanliness were completely unacceptable. We have worked diligently since the last winter freeze to get the property caught up on seasonal maintenance, and much progress has been made, including pool repairs, staffing, training, and overall property upkeep. I'm very sorry that your stay was dissapointing, and promise to make good use of your feedback toward improving our property and service.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have stayed at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and were so delighted with our experience, we have just made a new booking. The location is superb, the staff friendly, the food delicious, they are pet-friendly - should you be traveling with a dog - and the peace and quiet is just out of this world. I have never slept in a better bed, the sheets are crisp and clean and the mattress is heavenly, I will have to find out who makes them! We have not used the spa or riding facilities, just the rooms and dining/breakfast, but we look forward to some hikes around this area. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: All of the river-facing rooms are fabulous!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. It's wonderful to hear that our guests are inspired by their stay with us. We look forward to your next visit and hope that you can experience the beautiful parks and trails as well.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We just finished a two night stay at the wonderful Sorrel River Ranch. Moab is an amazing outdoor destination, but it is always nice to retreat from the Moab scene and to be pampered. The Ranch is beautiful and our cabin was very comfortable and spacious. Service is attentive and sincere. Especially Tom at the front desk and Mindy in the breakfast restaurant. The location is breathtaking right on the river amidst the Moab red mountains. My only recommendation is to cater to children with kids menu's in the restaurant. Thank you for a great stay. Will be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear David,
Thank you very much for your kind words. We're delighted that you were able to enjoy Sorrel River and Mindy & I were very pleased to know that you appreciated our hospitality. We look forward to the opportunity to be of service on your next visit.