“disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

my fiance and i stayed here for two nights as part of a trip celebrating his 40th birthday. i called about six weeks in advance to book a couples massage. i was concerned when the spa receptionist informed me that she would book the massage but that she could not guarantee that the couples massage would be available because they had a lot of people leave, and that her last day was coming up. for a place that was charging us $500+ per night, I would have thought that either a concierge or someone at the spa could have managed this process a little better. every time i wanted to book a different appointment (spa, concierge, restaurant) i had to hang up and call the operator back b/c no one was able to transfer me? the property is beautiful, and we enjoyed the view from our room on the river, but overall the stay was disappointing. Our meal in the restaurant was mediocre, and with the exception of a few of the front desk staff - who offered to pick take us into town and pick us up after dinner - the service was very disappointing.

Room Tip: river view recommended, top floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank stasia3844

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Loved this property, excellent service and the location was perfect. Can't wait to go back! Make sure to check out the farm to table restaurant at the property. Got to go whitewater rafting nearby and it was breathtaking.

• Stayed September 2012
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

After reading reviews about the property I was really worried about staying at the Sorrel River Ranch. My wife and me are used to staying at nice resorts like the Ritz and the Four Seasons, so we were worried the place wouldn't live up to expectations. My wife and I went for a two night trip, and it was surprisingly better than I expected. I think a big problem is that people who can't afford the place are going there and getting sticker shock. I read a ton of the reviews that mentioned Red Cliffs, well, we stayed at Red Cliffs last year and it sucked.

First let me explain that the place is in the middle of nowhere. Moab is for hiking and biking junkies like me, and you expect to rough it a little. Still when we made it to the resort we found our phones didn't get any reception. I was like, oh great, here we go. I guess it is the price we had to pay to be around such natural beauty. After the first night I totally forgot about not having consistent cell service.

The girl at the front desk was really polite and checked us in quickly. Since there weren't so many guests in house she gave us an upgraded room. We had a river view room that was spacious, clean, had a huge bed, and some hokey western art. The resort was a ghost town. I think it was us and another couple in the whole resort, and to tell you the truth, it was really nice that way. No screaming kids, no banging around next door, just us and the wilderness. The view are great.

We went to the restaurants for breakfast and dinner. I was hesitant to go when I read the review on the Trip Advisor, but was actually surprised when the food was good. Again, the price point was expensive, but when I go to a 4 Star resort, that is what I expect. Our server for dinner was a nice young blonde girl who explained the menu to us, was super attentive, and had a bunch of great suggestions. The chef sent us out a little complimentary bite to eat, I had the steak and my wife had the trout. Both were hot and well prepared, not over the top, but still good. We finished the dinner with a cobbler and ice cream. Our waitress told us that most of the vegetables came from the garden and the meat was all local. It was a nice touch. One thing we noticed is that the gratuity is added to the bills. Watch out so you don't double tip.

Overall it was a really good experience. Maybe the Sorrel River Ranch is hit or miss and we caught them on a good day. Either way my wife and I had a great stay. Hands down it is an expensive resort, but totally worth it if it isn't out of your price range.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Mike D
Linda C, General Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Mike D,

Thanks very much for taking the time to post feedback on your stay here at the ranch! It is very peaceful and quiet as the season slows down this time of year. Chef was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food! We are still harvesting from our all natural garden and use many local ingredients. We are glad that you had a really good experience!
We hope to see you again in the future!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Beautiful area,is about as far as I can go on the pros, the management lacks if it isnt totally non exsistent. I stayed 2 nights and not once did anyone come in and service my room, I left the door hanger out the whole time. I had two meals in the restaurant and should have stopped at one. The chicken was undercooked and the crab lump was disgusting. I had a rather costly chewy steak with bread that was hard as a rock. I would recommend staying in a hotel in Moab and eating at the local restaurants. If you read the other reviews on this site you see a constant. Bad management.

Room Tip: Rooms in Moab
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
19 Thank fltozzyausie
north carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My sister and I just spent 5 nights at this ranch in a one of their deluxe rooms with a river view. The room was great, the facility appears to be well maintained and the location is spectacular.
BUT--service is very inconsistent and nowhere near what it needs to be for a resort in this price range.

I signed up for 2 spa services and thought they were absolutely great.
Dinners are imaginative but expensive. Coffee is $5.00!
At breakfast finding a person to take our order was often difficult. So while this is a great place, on-site management needs to provide better staffing. They are charging 5 star resort prices. But they have 2 star service. This is not so much the individuals themselves--indeed they were normally helpful and professional. It seems that management just hasn'ty figured out how to staff the place. They also seem to be struggling with what kind of a luxury place they want to be. There is much to be said for making a resort special based on where it is--here on a lovely bend of the Colorado river amid red standstone walls. I hope they succeed. The place has much potential--but much to do to be worth the prices they are charging.

Room Tip: All rooms have porches. River view rooms overlook the Colorado River. The resort is quiet in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank twinbaby
Dear twinbaby,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We were glad to hear that your spa services were great! We appreciate your comments and know that they have been shared with the team as they are helpful as we strive to provide excellent guest service in all areas of the resort.

alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Read the latest reviews for this property----there is a recurring theme!

Problems started at arrival. A sign said "valet", after looking around, we discovered the valet was nowhere to be found! Our room was one minor annoyance after the other-- the gas fireplace didn't work, the bathroom had too many cobwebs (including a dead bug collection in a light fixture) and too few towels, porch was poorly lit (or lights didn't work) making a treacherous walk down the porch stairs. The hot water heater for our building was poorly concealed in a closet our room----the constant flickering blue pilot light and noise when the heater activated were a pain.

With regards to the bar, the staff was friendly, but clearly amateurish and poorly trained. Spent $70 on a bottle of white wine, served at room temperature---when I mentioned it to the barkeep, she offered to put ice in my glass (seriously?). She was unable to give me a run down of the cheeses on our cheese plate. But why should they care, because the service charge is automatically added on!

I can't review the restaurant proper---we cancelled our reservation after they were not even able to get wine and cheese right.

Okay, now the good bits: The setting, on the river and the red cliffs, was beautiful!

This is not a cheap place and I would not return at half the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank DLAlabama
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We found it to be absolutely beautiful. Our suite was very charming, the decor perfect for the setting and our porch view was spectacular. We had dinner there our first night and would rate the dinner and service mediocre and very pricey. Thankfully we weren't there for the spa experience but rather to tour Arches National Park so our days were filled with activities away from the ranch. The staff basically treated us as if we were invisible. We stopped by one morning to ask about breakfast and to get some information about the area and we were totally ignored by the two women behind the desk. We wandered around and found another employee sitting alone in the restaurant who gave us a ("ah...I don't know") response when we interrupted him. So we left and stopped at the Red Cliffs Lodge, just a few miles away, and had a wonderful breakfast served by a very pleasant staff. We liked it so much that we had dinner at the Red Cliffs the next two nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The view from their restaurant is spectacular!

We don't regret our stay at Sorrel River Ranch because we liked the relaxing solitude at the end of our busy days of touring. But we wouldn't do it again. We'd go down the road a few miles!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank DenandCat
Linda C, General Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear DenandCat,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent experience at our resort. Although I am glad you enjoyed our relaxing solitude, it’s clear our onsite dining did not measure up to your expectations or our standards. I apologize for any inconvenience, and know that we have shared your comments with the appropriate staff. Please contact me at 435-259-4642 with any additional questions or comments.