“Good food & beautiful view”

Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 34 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good food & beautiful view”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We drove out from Moab for dinner at this hidden spot along the Colorado River. The 17 mile drive was itself beautiful in the late afternoon. The ranch is located along the River and the facilities are well kept and inviting. The restaurant is upstairs where you can choose to sit inside or outside. Either way you have great views of the river and cliffs. We sat outside and enjoyed the quiet of the area. We split the Elk sausage appetizer which was delicious and spicy. Our entrees of duck & lamb were excellent; however, my duck was a little cold. The wine list is VERY limited which was a disappointment for such a nice place. Service was great up until the end when it got slow even though it was not a busy night. Regardless, we would return to enjoy this peaceful spot again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FreedomBus
Linda C, General Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear FreedomBus,
We are glad to hear that you appreciated the peacefullness here at the ranch! You will be happy to know that we are reworking the wine menu as that has been work in progress pairing our wines with new menus. Appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. We hope to see you again!
lcerra@sorrelriver.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Washingtonville, NY
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The setting is spectacular. The staff are very friendly, yet respect your privacy and realize one comes to the ranch to get away. The rooms are very spacious and clean. I think the price is a bit high, but that actually keeps it exclusive. It is worth it to be surrounded by like- minded neighbors. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was excellent. Kudos to the Chef for a beautiful presentation. Overall a wonderful experience. We hope to come back next year.

Room Tip: We had a river front room. It was wonderful to wake up and sit on the front porch with my coffee.
1 Thank Jeannie
Linda C, General Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Jeannie,

We appreciate your time in letting us know about your stay. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the scenery, meals and privacy! We hope to see you again, and thanks for posting!

LInda
newport beach
Reviewed October 2, 2012

What a disappointing experience! I would not recommend this "resort" to anyone. The service was terrible and the food worse!! Do not be fooled by the glossy photos, the marketing materials are outdated and unrealistic.
The river was pretty and the property has so much potential, they must have lost some key management and staff recently. Very unfortunate.

Room Tip: Stay closer to town.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank michelle y
Deara MichelleY,

We are very disappointed in hearing about your stay here at the ranch and that you would not recommend the resort. Please know that we review all comments with the appropriate staff, and I would like to hear more details on your stay. Please feel free to reach out to me at 435-259-4642. Thank you for your feedback.

Farmington, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Went to SRR for lunch with friends. We had a great experience. The setting is spectacular. Had lunch on the patio which is right next to the river. What a beautiful view. Had drinks and the crab cake sandwich. Delicious! The fries were extra crunchy and the margaritas were strong. The service was a little slow but we didn't mind as it gave us time to visit and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Everyone we came in contact with was very nice. We'll be back!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bill E
Dear BillE,
We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the crabcakes and margaritas! It is a beautiful time of the year to have a relaxing, delicious lunch on our river deck. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am writing to make you aware of the unbelievably poor customer service and staff treatment I received at the Sorrel River Ranch during my stay.

My wife and I travel frequently for leisure and business have been staying at numerous hotels on a monthly basis. We are both accustomed to receiving top-notch customer service, but Sorrell River Ranch, the service was dreadful and unpleasant to say the least. We stayed in Room G2, from Sept 24 to 28, 2012 and when we both arrived, we ate in the restaurant, the food was less than worthy, we had grouper (the special), and it was so oily, we both were up all night with gas-stomach pains. It was difficult just to get water served at the table, and the wait staff was not friendly in the least. We paid $140 for our meal that made us both sick and regretted going.
When we left the restaurant, no one assisted us with our bags to our rooms, and we had to walk in the dark of night to room G2, as you know, a difficult walk to say the least in the dark. Thank god, neither of us fell. There were bats flying around us and we struggled to find our room with no lighting.

The next day for breakfast, service was less than delightful at the restaurant again, having to send back our food because of a pepper allergy and our eggs had pepper on them. As we left for the day, staff working never said good morning, hello, can I help you, nothing. It was like this our entire stay, when passing staff, no one ever smiled or said a simple, hello. It was mindboggling. The place seems extremely negative and a noticeable unwillingness to provide any type of hotel service.

Then, during our last day, we went to the pool around 3:30 in the afternoon to use the Jacuzzi, and there were no towels. We stayed an hour, thinking someone would bring more towels and no one did. We walked back to our room with soggy bathing suits and cold on a fall afternoon. It was simply unbelievable. I am beside myself with the price we paid each night, our bill totaling over $1800 and how we were treated by the ranch and staff. There was nothing pleasing about our stay and with the accommodations and non-service staff, we would have been better at the camp grounds down the road, honestly.

I understand that people sometimes make mistakes, but this is again, it was unbelievable how we were mistreated every step of the way. You had an article in the New York Times not so long ago, I wonder if they know about all the complaints Sorrell must be getting, as I know I am not the first to have such poor customer services at every encounter during our stay.

Friendliness and good customer service are basic requirements that I expect from any hotel that I stay, but because of this, my wife and I will never stay Sorrell Ranch again, and when our friends and people we work with ask about our stay, I will make sure to mention how dreadful our stay was. It did ruin our trip to the national parks in Moab. It is very misfortunate and I tried not to let our stay at Sorrell ruin the trip, but I can honestly say, it did.

Room Tip: stay down the street at Red Rock Ranch.
5 Thank cjkennedy8
Dear cjkennedy8,
Thank you for your candid feedback on your stay at the ranch. We have shared your feedback with our staff as this helps us to improve. We value your comments.
Should you return to Moab, whether you stay with us or not, I would love to see to it that you join us for a special dinner with our executive chef. I apologize that your experience was not the greatest, and know that I truly appreciate your time in letting us know.
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2012

For $800 a night, you expect a lot more. Front desk was rude, everything was waaaaaay overpriced. I even complained to the front desk that we were not happy with our overpriced family suite that sleeps 6 and has 1 bathroom! She said, sorry. There is no refund. Did not offer to do anything to make our stay better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Trina V
Linda C, General Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Trina V,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the ranch. We apologize that your stay was not as you expected. We have discussed your comments with the appropriate department. Please feel free to contact me directly at the ranch 435-259-4642 as I would like to hear further details of your stay.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Sorrel River Ranch is a beautiful property set in an incredible property along the river. However, the price is excessive given that nothing but the room is included in that price. The food was good, not great and also expensive; and not just the fine dining, they wanted $30 for a box lunch!! Meals were good, but service was not - on several occasions I empty water glasses were ignored and items were omitted from dishes because the waitstaff was unfamiliar with the menu. The ranch is also 30 minutes outside of Moab, which makes getting into and returning from town a trip in itself.

I plan to return to Moab, but when I do, I'll save the money, stay in town and spend the savings on outdoor excursions.

3 Thank Jason S
Dear JasonS,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that the service that you experienced was not up to our standard. Your comments have been reviewed by the food and beverage team. We appreciate hearing from our guests and feel the feedback is critical to our success. We sure hope to see you on your return trip to Moab so you can see we can provide great service and try one of our outdoor excursions.