“Great Place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Franklin, Tennessee
“Great Place”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed in a riverfront/one bedroom cabin around Labor Day 2011. Had planned to stay only two nights to allow for enough time to go hiking in Arches National Park (only about 30 mins away from the resort) and went to Caynonlands & Dead Horse Point State Park, but ended up requesting to add on another night. What can I say, but I fell in love with the resort, the scenery & the whole experience. Running around all day - hiking in the heat, then coming back to the resort for a spa service or soaking in the huge jetted tub in my room was a great treat. Relaxing on the porch in front of the Colorado River around all of the red rock was amazing, relaxing and a photographer's dream. It was an expensive hotel, but I do think it was worth it and I would go back. Also, the spa had great service and I liked that they use organic products.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Kent, Washington
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I stayed in Moab for a week over Christmas doing some hiking and photography in Canyonlands and Arches NPs. I wanted to have my last dinner be my best to top of a great week of photography. So, I chose the restaurant at Sorrel River Ranch Resort. Was I glad I did!! Not only did the meal far surpass anything I had in Moab that week, I would say it is easily in the top 5 restaurant meals I have had in my life! Each dish was fantastic. Each dish was beautifully presented and was only surpassed by the excellent flavor. Chef Andrew introduced himself and personally insured that my meal exceeded any expectations I may have had. I just wish I would have discovered this desert gem earlier in the week! I will be back!! I can only imagine spending the night and having a delicious breakfast to start my day. Thanks again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom villa during August. The pros of this resort are beautiful scenery, good continental breakfast included in the room rate, helpful and personable staff. The cons include exorbitantly expensive price tag (be prepared to pay a lot) which is not meritted due to the very cabin like rooms and lingering sewage smell throughout the property. Moab is a great town and there are a lot of great activities. Sorrell River is 17 miles along a windy road away from all the action. Every time you want to do anything you have to take an 1.15 hour journey. If we ever went back to Moab, I would stay at the winery/hotel that you pass on the way to Sorrell River. Its half the price and it looks just as nice.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room that faces the river
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Victoria5
London
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Spent 6 nights here in August with my wife and two teen daughters.

Hotel location is great, surrounded by majestic landscapes, and right on the Colorado River which cools it down despite 95 degree heat in the region.

Rooms very comfy, we had a family unit that had 2 bedrooms. Bathrooms could use a spruce up, but all in all, no complaints.

Letdowns were few, but worth mentioning: breakfast was unimpressive for a hotel that styles itself as a luxury resort, was frankly more three-star than five. Staff was also rather absent and not proactive at all -- for instance, at breakfast, we were never asked if we'd like anything else (it's a buffet, but still...); by the pool, every day, I had to go in and ask them to send someone out to get drinks and lunches... not the level of attentive care on expects in a luxury resort. Maybe it was the heat...!

Still, very enjoyable, great setting off point to explore all the magic of Moad and Arches National Park and all the other otherworldy landscapes in the area... and clearly the most comfortable place the stay for miles. But they could do better...

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RayKhoury
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My wife and I just spent eight days at the resort and had one of the most "pampered" experiences of our lives. Granted, this was in December and near the end of the season, but the entire staff, including the chef, got to know us on a first name basis and treated us like family. The chef altered his recipes to meet some special dietary requirements I have and everything still tasted phenomenal. It was among the best food we've ever had anywhere. This was our fourth stay at Sorrel and we intend to keep coming back. We never get tired of the spectacular scenery or service. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SorrelRiverRanch, General Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to know our staff. I will pass along your feedback to the culinary team, as I’m sure they will be thrilled to hear your kind words. We hope you continue to make Sorrel River Ranch your home away from home in Utah! Please contact us at lcerra@sorrelriver.com if you have any additional comments or questions.

Best,
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Wow. We were staying at the Red Cliffs Lodge (great hotel) and decided to go here. Make a reservation, esp. in the off-season. Anyway, we were literally the only guests on site, but server Joe and Chef Andrew Powers treated us to a special evening. We're from Chicago and lived in NYC for a decade, and this meal would be at home (though locally-inflected) to either city. Beginning w/ an amuse, and going through chile poblano soup, lamb app, buffalo fillet (awesome hominy) and the truly inspired chile-encrusted beef filet w/ lingonberry reduction (I've had plenty of scandinavian and Mexican, and never woulda thought)...each was better than the next. Really, one could die happy after a hike in the Arches, a MTB ride, and this meal.

• Stayed December 2011
HEBS10, General Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Thank you for sharing these comments regarding your experience at the River Grill Restaurant. We strive to create the best fine dining experience in Utah and beyond by using locally sourced ingredients and regionally inspired recipes, so we are glad you enjoyed your evening with us. I hope your trip to Arches National Park was as enjoyable as your visit to The River Grill, and I hope you will make Sorrel River Ranch your destination next time you venture to the area. If you have any questions about our resort or restaurant, please email us at lcerra@sorrelriver.com.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The lodge and the location are amazing! We went there for Thanksgiving and everything has been perfect; maybe the restaurant is far too expensive for the food you get, food is too much elaborated, not simple; full breakfast considering the price should be included. Other than that, it’s a one of the best place where we have ever been. Don’t miss it!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at Sorrel River Resort. I am sorry our onsite dining did not provide the value you were looking for – we will take your point into consideration when making changes to our dining offerings and menus in the future. On behalf of the entire staff, I am glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving at our resort. We try to make every guest’s stay special, especially on the holidays. I hope your next trip to Utah includes another visit to our resort! Feel free to contact us at lcerra@sorrelriver.com if you have any queries or further suggestions.