“Amazing Fiery Furnace Trip”

Deep Desert Expeditions
Ranked #19 of 112 Outdoor Activities in Moab
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Deep Desert Expeditions is Moab, Utah’s premier guide service, exclusively offering private guided journeys. Join us for a half-day, a full-day, or a multi-day expedition, our expert guides will teach you about the desert environment, geology, and local history and lore while visiting dinosaur tracks, petroglyph and pictograph panels, and some of the most scenic places in the United States: Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, Bears Ears National Monument, and the surrounding areas. We can even bring you to collect azurite at the Blue Crystal Mine! We offer a one-of-a-kind experience, designed to pamper and amaze!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Like so many reviews prior to this one,I concure, Mike Coronella is the most amazing guide! This fellow is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to the desert. The Fiery Furance is an amazing place and well worth a visit but the thing that made it so amazing was Mike and his in depth knowledge of the area. Not only is he very well versed in the geology of Arches but he knows so much about the flora, fauna and history of this place. When travelling the world these are the people that make such a difference to your appreciation and understanding of a place. Thanks Mike!

1  Thank Leesa A
in 11 reviews
"appreciation"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Mike is a knowledgeable, cautious, and charming desert guide. We asked him to show us petroglyphs around Moab (which he certainly did!), but we ended up seeing and learning so much more. Along the way he talked about the geological forces that formed the landscape, pointed out the bobcat tracks that had recently "walked" in our footsteps, helped interpret the awe-inspiring petroglyphs in Hidden Canyon and on other unnamed rockfaces, explained the different cultures that created those petroglyphs, made us aware of the subtle desert flora and fauna, and kept us out of trouble in a very harsh environment (Mike also is an experienced member of the Moab Search and Rescue Team). He will enrich your desert experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I didn't realize how early the ranger led tours of the Fiery Furnace in Moab filled up so we were shut out this summer. Somehow i found Mike at Deep Desert and I can't imagine the Ranger tour was even half as good! Mike picked us up at our hotel at 7:30 in the morning and we spent the next 31/2 hours walking, climbing, sliding, and crawling through this amazing natural structure. Mike's knowledge of the history of the Arches National park and the Fiery Furnace, as well as his stories of hiking cross country were so interesting. I am glad we met Mike and hope to see him again someday!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Of the five days we spent in Moab, our hike through Fiery Furnace was definitely a highlight. My initial disappointment that the park service tours were full was a actually a blessing in disguise. I chose Deep Desert Expeditions based on a stellar review I had read. They did not disappoint. Charlie was superb!!! Having a private guide enabled us to hike at our own pace and take in all the beauty, without a crowd. Charlie knew just the right resting points and provided a lot of insight on the rock formations, plants, and animals. My kids (13) and (10) were thoroughly impressed and really loved this hike. Deep Dessert Expeditions gets an A+ for value and expertise. Thanks, Charlie.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Mike and Charlie were great. Mike helped me piece together a great and very challenging multi-day high desert adventure with my family. I wanted something tailor made, something that would take us off the grid, out of our comfort zone and really test our mettle. Mike planned a four day five night desert trek through Arches and Needles national park that would then segway into three days of river rafting on the Colorodo. The trip was everything I hoped and much more.
Charlie was our desert guide, pushing us hard through the desert,strict at times but teaching us all along the way. Charlie knows the desert extremely well; botany, geology, animal tracking and survival. He knew when to push on and when to harvest shade during the heat of the day, had cached water along our route and even made the freeze dried food taste OK.
They were both great and realy cared to show us and teach us about their passion. Thanks to Mike and Charlie I feel we saw and experienced some of the most beautiful, isolated and seldom seen regions of the great high desert of America. Memories of a lifetime.
Thanks for the pineapple upside down cake you made for my daughters birthday on our first night.